.....going 9-4

casual fan

Good post that got me thinking...

I know this may be controversial for some on here but man, Mac is now 9-4 at home for his career at UNT and he's just completely changed the culture and is starting to right the reputation of the program --- ie we are starting to see the results of his effots. Are we exactly where we want to be yet -- no but I think you have to start thinking about keeping Mac here for a long time. It would have a very positive impact on both recruits but also assistant coaches. If you wait until the last minute the price goes up..

If I am RV, I wouldn't drop a new deal on Mac's desk tomorrow but I would start working my traps with the BOR to start loosening up the checkbook and be prepared. I would think the goal is to sell Mac on staying here at North Texas until he retires. We didn't get this done with Hayden and we may have a chance to prevent that from happening again.

Something that winning the Ball State game has me thinking about. If we do well in C-USA I would think it will come up even more...

I know this may be controversial for some on here but man, Mac is now 9-4 at home for his career at UNT and he's just completely changed the culture and is starting to right the reputation of the program --- ie we are starting to see the results of his effots. Are we exactly where we want to be yet -- no but I think you have to start thinking about keeping Mac here for a long time. It would have a very positive impact on both recruits but also assistant coaches. If you wait until the last minute the price goes up..

If I am RV, I wouldn't drop a new deal on Mac's desk tomorrow but I would start working my traps with the BOR to start loosening up the checkbook and be prepared. I would think the goal is to sell Mac on staying here at North Texas until he retires. We didn't get this done with Hayden and we may have a chance to prevent that from happening again.

Something that winning the Ball State game has me thinking about. If we do well in C-USA I would think it will come up even more...

I'd hold off until after the MUTS game if I were AD. If we're sitting at 4-2 I start drafting the contract.

• Upvote 1

I'd hold off. If we finish 5-7 that extension will look bad. I just don't think an extension will keep Mac. Either he's here or he goes to a better job no matter what contract is in place. I also don't see Mac signing a contract at this point that would be a big savings. I'd rather wait for the end of the year to consider it. If the price goes up then so be it - let's see a bowl game first.

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 3

One of the main things in contract extensions these days are nice buyout clauses. Make the other school pay for any of our coaches (who'd agree with such a clause); anyway, have the Big Boys pay for their future services. Don't forget...they get the big TV bucks.

GMG!

Winning on the road is our next big challenge for UNT. When we do that, then get the lawyers together in the Hurley Admin board room to work out a fair, balanced and lucrative deal.

Also make "larger Apogee attendance numbers" bonus monies available for Coach Mac and his assistants. I understand other schools in past years have done this.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

its not premature to start working on the BOR since that will take months of work to convince them. Start planting the idea now that if we're going to keep the guy we muust act like we want him. I think this is all Harry is suggesting, to be ready to offer an extension with a bowl game right away instead of waiting till Feb or Mar as would be the case if RV doesn't start working the BOR now.

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 1

Way, way, way premature right here.

Calm down and re-evaluate at seasons end. Enough with the needless extensions.

This. I think that you can start considering what an extension might look like towards the end of the season if we are winning. I wouldn't do anything firm until after we see the final result. Until then, just sit back and watch the season unfold.

• Upvote 1

I'd hold off until we go to and/or win bowl game.

agree...just premature, there are a lot of great coaches out there...go to and win bowl, beat Georgia....now this deserves a big check, new contract...now you know what you have. WOW..you beat Gerogia, I bet attendance goes up...this puts you on the Boise State road, IMO

Props to Mac for going 9-4 in his first 13 home games.

He also went 2-12 on the road.

Even if we take away the tough road games to Alabama, LSU, KSU, the other nine loses are:

FIU, Tulsa, ULL, ASU, Houston, MTSU, ULM, WKU, Ohio

The road wins need to happen before we think extension. I firmly believe MAC is on the right track. If we are going to a bowl game this year will have to win some on the road. If that happens, then lets think about this.

• Upvote 1

I need Mac to show me something on the road then I'm all for it. However, I definitely believe that RV needs to get to hinting for a contract. I'd say it's extremely unlikely Mac goes anywhere because we gave him his second chance and he really loves UNT, but I think a nice long extension would help put any possible ideas of leaving away if we end up with a 7-5 or 8-4 record.

• Upvote 1

I'd be surprised at this point if he really wanted any job other than Iowa if he's successful here, but I've been surprised before. The call of Ben Franklin can be pretty enticing.

Iowa for sure. I would also put Wisconsin up there... really, any Big10/11/12 team. I think he's here to stay unless he does with UNT what Sumlin did with Houston.

I firmly believe this will be a different team on the road.

I'm basing that off 3 things:

1. We are simply a better team with more depth than the past two seasons.

2. The way our defense has made adjustments in the second half with 2 second-half shutouts and giving up just 6 points against Ohio in the second half.

3. A different DT this year. They've finally calling plays that suit his abilities. Curls, outs, and slants to death on these teams as well as the occasional running threat from DT.

As everyone has said, the next step is to actually get back on the plane accompanied by a W. Playing well on the road but still losing isn't good enough anymore.

• Upvote 2

Iowa for sure. I would also put Wisconsin up there... really, any Big10/11/12 team. I think he's here to stay unless he does with UNT what Sumlin did with Houston.

I'd say Iowa is his LSU (Johnny Jones)

I think Mac's at the age and of the old mindset where he'll only leave once the job is done. If he feels NT is in a good space where he can leave and NT be successful and a job like Iowa is open, he'd leave. Very particular and unlikely set of circumstances, IMO. I think Mac will be here til he retires.

I said earlier this year that if Coach Mac gets us to 6 wins, and I don't care when it happens during the year, he deserves an extension of at least 3 years. From what he has dealt with and is trying to improve, I just hope he feels healthy enough to stay around for the fight if an extension is offerred. I'm assuming he would love it, with his infectious enthusiasm and his strong will.

The bad news for Coach Mac is that he only has 4 more home games, where he has made us a tough opponent. Actually, Rice is probably the toughest team we play there the rest of the way, since MUTS is not better than Ball State and UTEP and UTSA are both pretty bad teams. I begrudgingly admit that UTSA has been better than I expected to this point, but they will be decimated by the time they make it to Denton with that schedule they will have played. That says a lot about where we are now as a program--that the bad news is only 4 more home games!!

Road games at La Tech, USM, Tulane, and Tulsa are all winnable games, but we have to show we can go to one of those venues and pull out a win.