The sound of Apogee on the last Cardinal possession...

Christopher Walker

...was monstrous and loud and exactly what we should aspire to be anytime we're on defense. Prop to everyone who ramped the intensity of that last series up and caused some brutal mistakes on behalf of Ball State.

Also extra kudos to Dr. Nick Williams and the Green Brigade today for some rather well-timed blasts and drones.

#GOMEANGREEN

• Upvote 5

No kidding. I loved that as soon as Ball State got the ball the noise started on third down and got progressively louder with their false starts...I am curious what that sounds like down on the field. When the stadium is full (and it will be against SMU next year if not before) it will be absolutely deafening.

• Upvote 2

Scary to think how loud it was about 1/3 full, and how awesome it will sound when it's packed!

It will be cooler in October for the next home game, and especially with another win added before then, you can expect the crowds to be bigger. Remind students to bring a friend or parent...remember, the "spirit bug" doesn't always bite right away, and a gameday experience can be infectious! Umm...I'm going to stop with that analogy before I get myself into trouble..

• Upvote 2

...was monstrous and loud and exactly what we should aspire to be anytime we're on defense. Prop to everyone who ramped the intensity of that last series up and caused some brutal mistakes on behalf of Ball State.

Also extra kudos to Dr. Nick Williams and the Green Brigade today for some rather well-timed blasts and drones.

#GOMEANGREEN

With all the excitement about the comeback win, I have not seen any comments about what I thought was a great halftime performance by the Green Brigade. They were awesome!

Edited by rws69
  • Upvote 2

My kids were sun burning so we moved to Alumni side. That last part of the game was electric crazy loud. Yelling my lungs out. Some cool TCU fan turned to me and said...man....you are a great fan. Lol. I was hoping I wasn't scaring the senior couple in front of me. Fun day. Glad we stuck around. My friends were texting me that left when their kids got too hot and had to leave. "WHAT??!!! 34-27??!!!"

while getting better, I fear our school will never be a great football scene. Too many liberal type people, who would rather be smoking hookahs and drinking coffee than watching sports. It's just my opinion. I know, I know, there are lots of artsy people who like to watch unt football games and some are our best fans, but the other 80% of them don't and could care less.

I'm beginning to think that marketing our games to our students would be a waste of the school's money, if they ever did it.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

while getting better, I fear our school will never be a great football scene. Too many liberal type people, who would rather be smoking hookahs and drinking coffee than watching sports. It's just my opinion. I know, I know, there are lots of artsy people who like to watch unt football games and some are our best fans, but the other 80% of them don't and could care less.

I'm beginning to think that marketing our games to our students would be a waste of the school's money, if they ever did it.

It really has nothing to do with liberal, hookah, and coffee. Our football and athletics scene as a whole hasn't been too kind to North Texas in its history. There is a lot of apathy here that has changed quite a bit over the past decade but still has quite a ways to go. It takes time.

• Upvote 6

Waste of a post. Of course it can. I was an Art and Design major. We ALL don't think alike and there are more like me who come to the games. Seriously. If you haven't seen progress, your green crazy. ;)

• Upvote 2

That's not really even an accurate description of our student body...at least not when I was a student within the past couple years

• Upvote 2

It really has nothing to do with liberal, hookah, and coffee. Our football and athletics scene as a whole hasn't been too kind to North Texas in its history. There is a lot of apathy here that has changed quite a bit over the past decade but still has quite a ways to go. It takes time.

I think you're right. Anyway, there was some kind of culture change back, maybe in the 80's, where that (just what I heard) liberals started smoking hookahs while watching football on tv. Whether that has yet to translate into butts in the seats at Apogee in 2013 is certainly another question.

Any time the artsy liberal discussion comes up, remember the actual demographics of the student body. Though there are quite a few of us with degrees in some sort of arts (Visual, Music, RTVF, Dance, etc.) who are still supportive of our athletic program, and though we are well known for advancing those types of degrees, that's not the majority of students. If you remove grad students, everyone with some type of artistic focus, and undecided/undeclared (who are lumped in with CAS), you're still at almost 20,000 students. So even if you leave out all of us artsy types who still dig the football scene and want to support our school (first as students and now some as alumni), as well as grad students who may have ties elsewhere, etc., you're still left with a huge amount of support from which to draw. If even half of the other 20,000 students showed up, Apogee's student section would look pretty full. And as Plumm likes to keep in his signature line...there are 200K alumni in the area. Many were around before the recent revival of spirit. Win, and get students and Dentonites to start showing up, and people will be drawn back home. THAT is when those season tickets will sell themselves...

One step at a time, though. Win, bring a friend, get others to bring friends, and they'll see a packed Apogee on TV. I can't wait! Others will feel this way eventually. And grow alumni while they're students!

We're making progress. Slower than desired, but it's on the move. Keep moving forward!

• Upvote 1

As one who has to make a long trip to see a game, I can say that the likelihood of seeing a win is a big factor in the decision whether to make the trip. I don't look at that on a game-by-game basis. It is more based on trends across several games.

If we win 6 or 7 of any 10 sequential games, there would be a large increase in attendance and enthusiasm, that would persist, grow or fade depending on the performance across the next series of games. Unfortunately it is much easier to lose attendance than to grow it. I don't expect much impact from any one win, well unless we Beat Georgia.