UNT basketball notes (Benford on schedule)

Harry

I had a few minutes to swing by today and talk to Tony Benford about UNTs basketball schedule.

First off, here are a few news tidbits:

UNT will face Oklahoma on Monday, Nov. 11 instead of Tuesday, Nov. 12.

UNT will also play Columbia on Nov. 21 and Idaho on Nov. 22. Again, minor switch. The dates for the two games in the Coaches vs. Cancer tournament were changed.

UNT is working on adding another home game this season.

Creighton will play at the Super Pit next year.

UNT is working on landing a spot in another tournament next season, one that will be close to Denton.

UNT has been in talks with Texas Tech about scheduling a home-and-home with the Raiders. UNT has also been in contact with New Mexico.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/09/unt-basketball-notes-benford-on-schedule.html/

Benford has heard the reaction to UNT’s schedule from fans. I asked him a little about his thinking in terms of what UNT put together. He said UNT was aiming for a slate that would include more home games than road games in nonconference play and is happy with what UNT came up with.

We could have kept the (away) UTA game and some (most?) fans would have been OK with that.

11/8 Northwood

11/14 Nicholls State

11/26 Incarnate Word

11/30 Southeastern Louisiana

12/15 Stephen F. Austin

12/17 Central Arkansas

12/21 Wayland Baptist

1/4 UC-Riverside

With the exception of SFA, I couldn't tell you anything about the other programs on our home OOC slate.

Now that's a schedule that'll have fans banging down the doors.

I know...if I believed this board I will be pretty darn lonely sitting in my pew watching those games. But, the green room will be easy to get into and to the chow and drink line if you guys are correct. I am hoping you are not...we'll see.

All this time I believed the stuff people posted about "JUST WIN". Now I see we must win against certain teams, on certain days, with certain RPI's, who have been D-1 teams for an extended number of years, who will agree to play us in Denton, who will play us before a favored coach leaves to go elsewhere, etc., etc. Man, the rules here just keep getting harder and harder to figure out. I had just started to buy into the "JUST WIN" stuff and now all these new rule appear. Darn!

• Upvote 1

I know...if I believed this board I will be pretty darn lonely sitting in my pew watching those games. But, the green room will be easy to get into and to the chow and drink line if you guys are correct. I am hoping you are not...we'll see.

All this time I believed the stuff people posted about "JUST WIN". Now I see we must win against certain teams, on certain days, with certain RPI's, who have been D-1 teams for an extended number of years, who will agree to play us in Denton, who will play us before a favored coach leaves to go elsewhere, etc., etc. Man, the rules here just keep getting harder and harder to figure out. I had just started to buy into the "JUST WIN" stuff and now all these new rule appear. Darn!

Kram, this is a horrible home schedule. There really isn't any other way to put it. It's almost like they are trying to hide this coach from the fan base(maduro pasted that there are three workday games that will not allow most people to attend) and the almost complete lack of an OOC home opponent that people will recognize is awful. I know you see everything through green tinted glasses and such things don't seem to bother you but you are decidedly in the minority on this point.
  • Upvote 3

I know you see everything through green tinted glasses and such things don't seem to bother you but you are decidedly in the minority on this point.

Maybe, the minority on this board, but hardly the overall minority as we will see when the teams tip off.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Maybe, the minority on this board, but hardly the overall minority as we will see when the teams tip off.

I guess the home attendance on the stat sheet will be the real indicator of how the fan base feels about the home OOC schedule then, won't it?

100% correct you are, and I believe the fans..actual bleed green fans...will come out to support the players on this team representing UNT. The "if you don't win or if you don't play who I think you should play or I won't come" folks.. Well not so much. Like I said, we'll see soon enough. I am looking forward to tip off.

• Upvote 3

What you will see is less than 1k in attendance.

Enjoy the green room. You will have a lot to eat and drink.

I won't be there.

Big surprise there. I will miss you, of course, and hope you might reconsider. But, your choice. Understand completely. Will look for you down the line and at the next GMG.com BB game if nothing else.

• Upvote 1

And, for the record.. I am no more happier with the OCC schedule line up than pretty much every one else here, but will not withdraw support for the team because of it. I guess that's the difference in approach. That's all it is.

• Upvote 4

I won't come because if UNT won't support their programs, there is no reason for me to do so.

As far as being a bad fan, those who never question anything and are happy with losing are far worse fans and do far more harm to UNT athletics than those of us who want the best for the student athletes (which includes the best coaching, the best schedule, the best chance at being the best student athlete that they can be, etc...).

Funny thing is, with where I live, a lot of the home game times (which make zero sense, by the way) make the trip to Denton for said games impossible, anyway.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You're right about that, only because everybody else has been driven away.

I won't come because if UNT won't support their programs, there is no reason for me to do so.

As far as being a bad fan, those who never question anything and are happy with losing are far worse fans and do far more harm to UNT athletics than those of us who want the best for the student athletes (which includes the best coaching, the best schedule, the best chance at being the best student athlete that they can be, etc...).

Funny thing is, with where I live, a lot of the home game times (which make zero sense, by the way) make the trip to Denton for said games impossible, anyway.

Agreed.

This schedule is far from fan-friendly and can only be described as Benford-friendly.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Steady there big fella. No one is calling you a bad fan. If you have a guilty conscience for some reason, well, that's on you. The only "bad fans" are the ones who root for UNT to lose. Dial it back a little on that "as far as being a bad fan" crap-ola.

Like you say, it's an opinion board...you have your opinion, I have mine..we disagree on some things, we agree on others...who the heck cares? Seems you are the one calling folks out for the way they support the program. You know, if you buy tickets and show up win, lose or draw to support the players you are somehow a bad fan and doing damage to the program? Well, just something we will agree to disagree about..like I said who the heck cares? Dial that "bad fan" crap-ola back a bit.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1