2013 UNT basketball schedules designed to be challenging

Harry

The move to Conference USA brings in-state rivals to all UNT athletic programs, but the Mean Green basketball teams also made it an emphasis to schedule key local rivals in their non-conference schedule.

Men’s Basketball

For the first time ever, the men’s team will take part in the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic Tip-Off Showcase, a charity tournament that collaborates between the American Cancer Society and the National Association of Basketball Coaches to raise funds for cancer awareness.

One of the teams UNT will take on is tournament host University of Oklahoma, who lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament last year. UNT will also face off against the University of Idaho, the University of Columbia and the Universiy of Portland in a three-day span as part of the tournament.

Other standouts in the nonconference schedule include away games against Brigham Young University and the Texas A&M University, as well as the home opener against Nicholls State University.

“The non-conference schedule is going to be really difficult and it’s going to prepare us for the conference games,” senior guard Vertrail Vaughns said. “It’s going to get us ready for the long run.”

One notable game missing from the schedule is the annual match up against metroplex rival University of Texas-Arlington. UNT bought out the final year of its contract with the Mavericks because of other conflicts within its schedule, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, but may resume next year. The Mean Green held a 30-23 edge in the rivalry that dates back to when both teams were in the Southland Conference in the early ‘90s.

Read more: http://ntdaily.com/2013-basketball-schedules-designed-to-be-challenging/

“We are really excited about the upcoming season,” Benford said. “I feel like the non-conference schedule we have prepared will have us ready for a demanding Conference USA season. Playing in the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic will pit us against four tough teams starting with Oklahoma, and we will also make trips to BYU and Texas A&M. Looking around our league, our schedule is comparable to most of the teams in C-USA, and we feel it’s a schedule that our fans will really enjoy.”

It is a schedule that this long time fan finds totally unacceptable. When SFA is your biggest home game, you know you are in trouble. This coach is so unbelievable after his too many to list, verbal promises and simply bad opinions that I wonder why they bother quoting him. This home schedule may give a number of totally meaningless wins, but it is not going to prepare them for anything.

Every-time I see something like this, I wonder what our BOR was thinking giving RV a five year extension. What for, he is not going anywhere unless he has too. Why should he. Bad hire after bad hire in the major sports and a continually rebuilding football program He has got facilities build with a lot of help and minor sports have been significantly upgraded, but AD's normally don't get long term extensions for that with the two measure programs currently suffering.

• Upvote 3

The move to Conference USA brings in-state rivals to all UNT athletic programs, but the Mean Green basketball teams also made it an emphasis to schedule key local rivals in their non-conference schedule.

Forget the challenging part for the moment, who the hell are they talking about with 'key local rivals'? This is the actual schedule, and I don't see a single school that would even come close to being in that category:

11/8 Northwood

11/14 Nicholls State

11/26 Incarnate Word

11/30 Southeastern Louisiana

12/15 Stephen F. Austin

12/17 Central Arkansas

12/21 Wayland Baptist

1/4 UC-Riverside

Can't make this stuff up.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahah.

Benford is running with his tail between his legs from the one key local rival we had.

What a joke.

The UTA series was the most fan-friendly thing we did and was always the highlight of the season for me.

• Upvote 1

“We are really excited about the upcoming season,” Benford said. “I feel like the non-conference schedule we have prepared will have us ready for a demanding Conference USA season. Playing in the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic will pit us against four tough teams starting with Oklahoma, and we will also make trips to BYU and Texas A&M. Looking around our league, our schedule is comparable to most of the teams in C-USA, and we feel it’s a schedule that our fans will really enjoy.”

It is a schedule that this long time fan finds totally unacceptable. When SFA is your biggest home game, you know you are in trouble. This coach is so unbelievable after his too many to list, verbal promises and simply bad opinions that I wonder why they bother quoting him. This home schedule may give a number of totally meaningless wins, but it is not going to prepare them for anything.

Every-time I see something like this, I wonder what our BOR was thinking giving RV a five year extension. What for, he is not going anywhere unless he has too. Why should he. Bad hire after bad hire in the major sports and a continually rebuilding football program He has got facilities build with a lot of help and minor sports have been significantly upgraded, but AD's normally don't get long term extensions for that with the two measure programs currently suffering.

BOR does not bother itself...nor should it....with basketball schedules. Not their job. Bigger fish to fry.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

BOR does not bother itself...nor should it....with basketball schedules. Not their job. Bigger fish to fry.

If you are going to be the board monitor at least read before responding. The question is why did they give RV a five year extension, something that is definitely part of their job.

• Upvote 2

If you are going to be the board monitor at least read before responding. The question is why did they give RV a five year extension, something that is definitely part of their job.

Apparently because his contract was up and they couldn't think outside the box and extend him for 2 or 3 years, you know, in case the new prez decidd to move in a different direction.

Bravo to RV. He worked his connections with the big donors and his buds on the BOR for a lot of job security, even though the win/loss record is sorely lacking.

And the only thing that suffers is UNT athletics and its fans.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ok, let me make this easy for you...Because they believe RV to be doing a good job! The BOR obviously sees a bigger picture than some. But, you must be aware that contracts don't mean much in college athletics these days. So, keep beating the "fire RV" drum if it helps you feel better. It seems to be working, right?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Apparently because his contract was up and they couldn't think outside the box and extend him for 2 or 3 years, you know, in case the new prez decidd to move in a different direction.

Bravo to RV. He worked his connections with the big donors and his buds on the BOR for a lot of job security, even though the win/loss record is sorely lacking.

And the only thing that suffers is UNT athletics and its fans.

Trust me or not, but the BOR in no way believes RV is hurting either UNT athletics or its fans. Far from it. I know, hard for you to believe, but the job is not just wins and losses in football and men's basketball. As much as that might be important to you and me, the BOR sees a bit larger picture and knows more than a little more than you and me as to what they want the priorities to be right now. Things and priorities change...we'll see where it goes. But, you get nowhere keeping your stress levels up over this position of yours. Unless, of course, you enjoy self-mutilation.

Ok, let me make this easy for you...Because they believe RV to be doing a good job! The BOR obviously sees a bigger picture than some. But, you must be aware that contracts don't mean much in college athletics these days. So, keep beating the "fire RV" drum if it helps you feel better. It seems to be working, right?

What fire RV posts are you referring to. There is a difference in questioning the wisdom of a long term contract and calling for a termination.

Unfortunately contracts in college sports seem to work one way, the school has to honor them and the other party not so much. IMO, the school tied their hands unnecessary which doesn't have much to do with RV's performance. Long term contracts are necessary sometimes for the right new hire, but they don't really bind anyone to the school. However, I don't know the terms of his contract, so it might be only window dressing that can be easily circumvented.

• Upvote 1

Well . . . I hate to say it, but we really need to dominate the non-conference home schedule, so I guess I kind of see where Benford's logic is coming from. I don't see a lot of likely wins on either the conference slate or the non-conference games away from the Super Pit. At least this gives us a chance to break even for the year . . . for what that's worth.

Really thinking folks might just be pleasantly surprised at this year's edition of the men's team. We'll all see soon enough, right?

Lots more effort being put in to the off-season training and workouts than in year's prior. Lots of group and individual stuff going on...hope it pays off. Team, at this point, seems much more together than at any time last year. That often is a good starting point if nothing else.

We'll see, grasshopper, we will see. Keeping all fingers and toes crossed.

Really thinking folks might just be pleasantly surprised at this year's edition of the men's team. We'll all see soon enough, right?

Lots more effort being put in to the off-season training and workouts than in year's prior. Lots of group and individual stuff going on...hope it pays off. Team, at this point, seems much more together than at any time last year. That often is a good starting point if nothing else.

We'll see, grasshopper, we will see. Keeping all fingers and toes crossed.

I think the team will be better than last year, and has a chance to be much better. I think the biggest question mark is can Benford coach. I saw the poorest coach's performance I think ever at NT, and that is bad. Maybe he can recover, I certainly hope he can. Jones and the two Williams give him three good CUSA level players. The rest of the team other than Walton are pretty much questions. If he can hit on at a couple of the newcomers and can actually coach a little, NT could be much better than expectations, but I have to see some evidence of that before I get my hopes up.