UNT weighing options on Apogee alcohol

Harry

It’s the season of college football, tailgating and game day drinking.

Schools like the University of Louisiana-Monroe began allowing the sale of alcohol inside their football stadium this year, but purchasing and consuming alcohol inside Apogee Stadium is still prohibited.

“We know that in the past four or five years a lot of schools have been allowing alcohol sales inside their stadiums,” Senior Associate Athletic Director Eric Capper said. “There is sort of a national trend to start allowing that. We are in constant consultation with university lawyers, the university president and board of regents members to determine if it’s a good situation for us.”

Capper said that any institution or athletic venue that allows alcohol sales inside their venue has shown an increase in revenue.

“The thing that we have to weigh is at what cost does that revenue line then impact negatively our fans, our students and the people that come to our game,”

Capper said. “It would bring in more revenue, but we have to balance that with making sure that it’s a friendly and safe environment for our people to watch games.”

Capper said the obvious safety concerns associated with the sale of alcohol inside the stadium include underage drinking and overconsumption.

“Binge drinking is a huge issue on college campuses, and we want to make sure we are doing our part to avoid that,” Capper said.

Vice President of Pi Kappa Phi and converged broadcast media junior Taylor Lindholm said that if alcohol were sold inside the stadium it would not only increase revenue but also attendance.

“If you go to an UNT football game, you see a lot of empty seats,” Lindholm said. “The games are always exciting, and they are free for students, but this doesn’t seem to fill the stands. I wish it wasn’t this way, but selling alcohol at the games might significantly boost attendance and support for the Mean Green.”

Alcohol can currently be consumed at The Hill, where student organizations tailgate before the football games, next to Apogee stadium. Lindholm said his fraternity tailgates before every game.

“Members who are over 21 sometimes choose to drink. Too often people see the passed out, ‘frat guy’ stereotype, which I despise,” Lindholm said. “Football is like a religion in Texas, and tailgating is a significant part of our culture that UNT has thankfully embraced.”

Alpha Tau Omega member and dance junior Christopher Lafuente said he thinks tailgating is important because it gives everyone a chance to get together and get excited before the games.

Read more: http://ntdaily.com/university-weighing-options-on-apogee-alcohol/

I'm sort of torn on this. Clearly it will help general attendance and will generate some revenue. But I think it could take away from tailgating and hurt the club level. I know the club level is more than just alcohol and its really an outstanding experience plus they offer a full bar... but there are some who like being up there because they can drink beer during games...

The Super Pit is a different story. Man that place could absolutely use beer.

So I can understand why they would want to be careful about this decision. I would lean toward going for it -- if it causes issues they could always shut it down.

One of the great things about the Alamodome experience for UTSA games is that you can drink during them. Got to think part of the reason there were still folks there for that OSU game was because they could still grab $8 beer.

I'm not torn. I want to be able to buy a beer during the game. For those times and those people who really enjoy the drinking and hanging out more than the football (and that is perfectly fine) stadium drinking is a nice option if their schedule/weather/circumstances prevent tailgating.

• Upvote 3

This has been hashed out ad nauseum on the board over the years, but I'm not for it. Eric Capper's comments are right on. And it's a choice to make--do we want a family-friendly environment at Apogee or a drunk-friendly environment? The two work against each other.

*ad nauseam

Sorry, Latin was my foreign language in high school.

-----

As mentioned a few weeks ago, inside source says its not anyone within UNT really holding this decision back. Rather it's a newly elected Sheriff type who's a little over-zealous on enforcement.

This article is posturing.

• Upvote 1

This has been hashed out ad nauseum on the board over the years, but I'm not for it. Eric Capper's comments are right on. And it's a choice to make--do we want a family-friendly environment at Apogee or a drunk-friendly environment? The two work against each other.

It's it's a family environment that is empty versus a well managed alcohol environment that is full what would your position be. Hey I bought a beer at the University of Houston game last year. It was just one, and I was thirsty but it didn't cause any issues and in fact was very nice to be able to do that at a game. You may have to hire a few more cops and keep a closer eye on certain sections but I would think it is something that could be managed because it has at other places (UH, ULM, UNLV, UTSA).

It's it's a family environment that is empty versus a well managed alcohol environment that is full what would your position be.

I'm not sure that the question is relevant, because I don't see the selling of alcohol as ever making such an impact on football game attendance as to be the difference between "empty" and "full."

And what is a "well managed alcohol environment"? Alcohol by nature always makes people more loud and belligerent. So do you mean that more officers would keep an eye on all sections, assuming alcohol will be allowed in all sections? Will they be quicker to remove cussing fans from the stadium? Will there be alcohol-free family sections, like Rangers Ballpark has?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm sort of torn on this. Clearly it will help general attendance and will generate some revenue. But I think it could take away from tailgating and hurt the club level. I know the club level is more than just alcohol and its really an outstanding experience plus they offer a full bar... but there are some who like being up there because they can drink beer during games...

So I can understand why they would want to be careful about this decision. I would lean toward going for it -- if it causes issues they could always shut it down.

It may hurt tailgating but most folks I know will tailgate anyway and drink beer inside the stadium too. The students won't leave the game to continue drinking. Hell, one of my friends wanted another beer in the third quarter of the Idaho and went outside to get a beer. They wouldn't let him and several people with him back in so they went to a bar. He drove into town for the game too. Kind of BS policies in my opinion and I get the fact that he could pass the ticket off to someone else. People aren't beating down the doors to get into UNT games so it's why I call BS.

As far as hurting the club level, the hard facts are the masses could care less about the club level and more over can't afford it. You think a family that buys the family four pack cares about the club level? Most people I know with kids wouldn't mind kicking back with a beer and watching football with the Mrs./kids on a Saturday. The beer beats the crap out of an overpriced Coke. Most of the season ticket holders would probably like a beer too. Additionally, forget only selling on one side, college students do have legs you know.

Every pro sports venue in the metroplex serves beer yet college events don't and it is a contributing factor as to why colleges, minus TCU & colleges playing at Jerry World, suffer attendance problems. Beer is not the end all be all but it's 2013 and the bars don't close at midnight in Denton anymore either. As usual it's time for UNT to catch up with the times. Everyone else is including UTEP & UTSA, not just CUSA teams outside of Texas.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2

Note to self: Never take my kid to a Rangers game, a Cowboys game, a Stars game, a Mavericks game, a UTA basketball game, 75-80% of eating establishments in the United States, a NASCAR race, a bowling alley, the Movie Tavern (which shows lots of kids' movies), Six Flags, an airport, on a commercial airplane, certain locations of Chuck E. Cheese, Europe, or Communion. Alcohol is served at all these establishments and it might hurt her Mennonite sensibilities.

Eh, what do I care?

I know it's tough for an alcoholic like yourself to take your family to a place that doesn't have alcohol. :party0036::drunk::beerhat:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Why am I not surprised?

Do you take the kids out of the house? To Chilis, even?

I'm all for it, every other sporting event has alcohol.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

I know it's tough for an alcoholic like yourself to take your family to a place that doesn't have alcohol. :party0036::drunk::beerhat:

Can't really tell if serious or not. It's no secret that I like to get my drink on when I'm not being Mr. Dad. When I've got the kid in tow, which is most of the time, I consider myself a responsible enough parent to abstain for myself and deal with externalities without having to shelter. It's a scary world out there for kids who get unleashed at 18 thinking the entire universe is one big episode of Little House on the Prairie.

I got a really great kid who is very much kicking ass and taking names in all aspects of middle school, so I must be doing something right, even if it's only dumb luck in spite of bringing her to a beer fueled, fraternity couch laden, tailgate environment every other week in the fall.

• Upvote 7

I am not saying I am against it, quite to the contrary. Still, I think you lose 25% or more of your club seats holders. I will most likely will be one of them. The quality of food seems to be going downhill up there. Not terrible just not near what it was the first season. I would think for many of us the ability to get a beer down stairs takes away enough of the incremental value of our club seats that we will make the move. Maybe I am wrong.

• Upvote 1

I am not saying I am against it, quite to the contrary. Still, I think you lose 25% or more of your club seats holders. I will most likely will be one of them. The quality of food seems to be going downhill up there. Not terrible just not near what it was the first season. I would think for many of us the ability to get a beer down stairs takes away enough of the incremental value of our club seats that we will make the move. Maybe I am wrong.

The way I'm looking at the club is that once I get past the capital gift, the seats themselves are not so significantly more expensive. I imagine beer would be more expensive downstairs than up, but that's just a guess. I dig the legit seatbacks, the availability of shelter (cuz I'm totally old), the soft drinks (my kid is insatiable). The food, I usually eat because I paid for, but rarely actually care about because I'm generally bursting with ribs by game time.

To each their own though. I definitely took the possibility of beer sales downstairs into consideration.

• Upvote 1

Can't really tell if serious or not. It's no secret that I like to get my drink on when I'm not being Mr. Dad. When I've got the kid in tow, which is most of the time, I consider myself a responsible enough parent to abstain for myself and deal with externalities without having to shelter. It's a scary world out there for kids who get unleashed at 18 thinking the entire universe is one big episode of Little House on the Prairie.

I got a really great kid who is very much kicking ass and taking names in all aspects of middle school, so I must be doing something right, even if it's only dumb luck in spite of bringing her to a beer fueled, fraternity couch laden, tailgate environment every other week in the fall.

I was joking. I don't know you personally and I have no idea where you go or don't go outside of UNT football games. I just know you post a lot about booze.

A couple of you are trying to make this way more personal than it has to be.

• Upvote 2

Verde got new management and a cuisine director that's alienating a lot of folks.

• Upvote 1

I don't get the connection between beer sales and increased attendance. Where are those studies/facts that prove that one exists? UH has been selling beer for a while and their attendance sucked until they started winning---at least, that's my understanding/memory.

I think the argument would be that NEW beer sales could increase attendance. UH has had alcohol at games since I belive the 1960s, at a minimum since the 1970s. Alcohol sales aren't going to increase attendance at UH at this point, but removing them might decrease attendance since that's what we're used to.

New alchohol sales could increase attendance because people who like to enjoy an adult beverage might enjoy that beverage AND go to the game instead of having to decide between the two.

And even if sales don't increase attendance, it would almost guarantee an increase in revenue.

First Game Day beer is made available to our over 21 of age UNT students will be our first sellout at Apogee no matter what our W/L record has been of late; that is, unless we get Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, UT, or TAMU on the home schedule soon. Some of you predict SMU will be our first sellout and that for next Fall in our (still) new'ish digs....we'll see.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen