Big plays lead to lineup change in secondary

Harry

“We are not deserting Zac Whifield, but he has to make plays,” McCarney said. “I have seen him make that play in practice and scrimmages, but you have to carry it over to game day. We are all measured by what we do on Saturdays. He has to carry it over to the game field.”

UNT also gave up a long pass play in its season-opening win over Idaho, a 59-yard strike from Chad Chalich to Michael LaGrone on the second play from scrimmage.

The Mean Green has allowed six pass plays of 20 yards or more in the first two games of the year, an issue UNT will try to address before facing Ball State and Keith Wenning this week.

Wenning ranks 10th nationally with 665 passing yards through two games and has five touchdowns with no interceptions.

“We come into the game focused and ready to play,” UNT cornerback Hilbert Jackson said. “We need to hold it throughout the game.”

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20130909-football-big-plays-lead-to-lineup-change-in-secondary.ece

I didn't think Whitfield was in a bad position on the first play. He was there, but mistimed his jump...then, got turned around looking to tackle the guy.

I wouldn't be too hard on the kid. He was signed as a running back and switched over the corner because we needed bodies over there last year. He's a hell of an athlete and competitor. And, team player for making the switch.

He was also giving up 5 inches to that receiver from Ohio. You can't coach height, unfortunately.

Credit, again, Ohio's coaching staff for seeing that mismatch in game prep. I mean, that's what they're paid to do - look for potential weaknesses in the opponent.

Ohio is well coached and solid with many years of winning. That we went up there and played them well...that's the thing that gives me hope.

Only two things will make me lose hope this year:
(1) If Ball State blows us out, that'll be bad.

(2) If Tulane is within 14 points of us when that game ends, that'll be bad. The Green Wave suck. If a school who loses at home to South Alabama plays us close, everything will be touch and go for the rest of the season.

Pepperjack Cheese!

• Upvote 5

I think the benching has more to do with trying to get more of these guys to make plays. You are right, he was in the right position but for some reason he did not make the play. It's a real problem for us as I think we've gotten ourselves to the point of being equal in talent against many of the teams we play. We just can't seem to make the key plays necessary to win especially in the secondary.

You've got to admit that we are getting really close, though. I mean, even without a great pass rush, the secondary isn't the sieve it was during the last coaching regime.

Look at that opening play again, a couple more steps by Whitfield, then the jump, and I think he knocks it away, even giving up the 5 inches in height.

Remember, this is a young guy in a position switch. He's done well.

On the other hand, I am happy to see Mac hold guys accountable. I suspect we haven't seen the last of Whitfield. This kid led the team in interceptions last year and was 2nd Team All Conference...that while learning on the job.

Eager to see what Buyer will do with his opportunity; but feel like Whitfield will be back out there starting before too long.

I would refer to the term "benching" loosely here. UNT is going to need Zach on Saturday, he is going to play. I bet he plays well. Ball St. has got quite a few good wide receivers and the back seven as a whole will need to be on top of its game.

This

• Upvote 1

I think it's more the late 3rd down play down the sidelines where Tettleton was under pressure and just threw it up and Whitfield never got his head around to find a fluttering ball. That one hurt more than the opening play.

That said, Buyers, Jones and Whitfield will all see similar time to what they've played in the first two games. This is more a ceremonial wake-up call than anything else.

• Upvote 3

On the other hand, I am happy to see Mac hold guys accountable. I suspect we haven't seen the last of Whitfield. This kid led the team in interceptions last year and was 2nd Team All Conference...that while learning on the job.

I agree with everything you have said in your post. He is a good corner. Some big plays just got the best of him and I hope he sees this as a push for him to get even better.

I think of last year and how he led the team in interceptions. But, I also think of the many he dropped too. He could have had more receptions than many reserve receivers. That just shows you how fast and quick he can be. I hope we see him finish his career here as one of the best that came through our school. I just don't want another game like last week.

This may be damning with faint praise, but isn't it nice that UNT feels that their depth is such that they can make a move like this? It speaks to improvements in personnel and coaching across the board. It sucks to have to do it, in a way, but the ability to do it is fantastic, and the competition is something Mac has been preaching since day 1. UNT is getting into position to be able to do that at all positions (QB included) and it is the way successful programs work.

• Upvote 2