North Texas vs. Ohio Game Stats

Harry

This game was plagued by ugly football. If it were not for some sloppy play and penalties by Ohio, the score could have been MUCH worse.

My summation:

- O line supposed to be our strength....

1 - 2.7 yards per carry...pitiful

2 - two penalties on #64

3 - #71 is supposed to be a pro prospect...saw many plays where his man ran right by him.

4 - Ohio D line was able to get off their blocks so easy, our O line did not stay engaged and finish blocks

5 - DT did not have the time to pass that he has in the past

- DT play

1 - was not as sharp / accurate with his passes as he was last week...several balls were behind, over the head or over thrown

2 - pressed the ball into bad coverages

- skills

1 - I thought Pegram was supposed to be a power back.......

2 - if the ball is within arms length, it should be a catch

Play calling

1 - even the hack announcers on ESPN3 commented on not throwing the ball on 1st down

2 - on 3rd and 5-8 yds, instead of trying to get enough for the first, we go for a "homerun" ball. use an intermediate pass long enough to get the first down.

3 - with less than two minutes left in the game and we are backed up to our around our 10, Ohio in prevent rushing 3, we run a screen pass???

Defense:

D line:

1 - Our D line was driven so far back, it cut off pursuit of our LBrs....and they did not get off of blocks

2 - we could not pressure Ohio qb with our front 4...had to blitz to get pressure.

3 - #90 was on "skates" all night

4 - Sarge...did injuries keep him off the field? When he was in, he was very effective.

LBrs:

1 - could not evaluate because the Dline was being driven back into their cut off lanes

2 - ZORR...missed tackles, bad fills

DBs:

1 - dropped 2 pic opportunities right in their hands

2 - terrible cut off angles...ALL NIGHT

WE HAVE TO STOP GIVING UP SO MANY BIG PLAYS!!! If i were any team, I go deep against our secondary on the first play every game....they seem to be sleeping and get a late wake up call that the game started.

Coaching:

1 - not aggresive in play calling like we were last week...very few blitz's. Did not see any corner blitz (refer to last year LSU game when our CB knocked out the

LSU qb

2 - with just over 2 minutes left in the game, we have 3 timeouts and we allowed the clock to run off without calling a timeout.

I know this Ohio team is much better than last weeks Idaho team...but our fundamentals sucked...blocking, tackling, running and passing and UNT were two different teams from last weeks fundamentals to this week. This was a game that we could have, should have won. Now the Ball state game becomes a must win game. Before the season started, I hoped for 3-1 non conference schedule...looking at a likely 2-2. We cannot go 1-3 in non conf. and with Ball St coming into town 2-0...we have to over achieve this week.

This team needs consistency, persistency, intensity.

• Upvote 4

This game was plagued by ugly football. If it were not for some sloppy play and penalties by Ohio, the score could have been MUCH worse.

My summation:

2 - two penalties on #64

3 - #71 is supposed to be a pro prospect...saw many plays where his man ran right by him.

4 - Ohio D line was able to get off their blocks so easy, our O line did not stay engaged and finish blocks

- DT play

1 - was not as sharp / accurate with his passes as he was last week...several balls were behind, over the head or over thrown

- skills

Play calling

1 - even the hack announcers on ESPN3 commented on not throwing the ball on 1st down

2 - on 3rd and 5-8 yds, instead of trying to get enough for the first, we go for a "homerun" ball. use an intermediate pass long enough to get the first down.

3 - with less than two minutes left in the game and we are backed up to our around our 10, Ohio in prevent rushing 3, we run a screen pass???

Defense:

D line:

1 - Our D line was driven so far back, it cut off pursuit of our LBrs....and they did not get off of blocks

2 - we could not pressure Ohio qb with our front 4...had to blitz to get pressure.

4 - Sarge...did injuries keep him off the field? When he was in, he was very effective.

LBrs:

1 - could not evaluate because the Dline was being driven back into their cut off lanes

DBs:

WE HAVE TO STOP GIVING UP SO MANY BIG PLAYS!!! If i were any team, I go deep against our secondary on the first play every game....they seem to be sleeping and get a late wake up call that the game started.

Coaching:

1 - not aggresive in play calling like we were last week...very few blitz's. Did not see any corner blitz (refer to last year LSU game when our CB knocked out the

LSU qb

2 - with just over 2 minutes left in the game, we have 3 timeouts and we allowed the clock to run off without calling a timeout.

I know this Ohio team is much better than last weeks Idaho team...but our fundamentals sucked...blocking, tackling, running and passing and UNT were two different teams from last weeks fundamentals to this week. This was a game that we could have, should have won. Now the Ball state game becomes a must win game. Before the season started, I hoped for 3-1 non conference schedule...looking at a likely 2-2. We cannot go 1-3 in non conf. and with Ball St coming into town 2-0...we have to over achieve this week.

+1 , that about sums it up

My summation:

2 - two penalties on #64

- DT play

- skills

Play calling

Defense:

D line:

LBrs:

DBs:

Coaching:

LSU qb

If we want to go to a bowl, Ball is a must win.

Great post Truss. You reminded me of this as well, if it is 3rd and long we either go for a Hail Mary or we throw it 3 yards behind the first down marker??

This was not the offensive lines best game -- you have to give Ohio some credit there as well.

Two things I will put at the foot of the coaches; them scoring on the first play of the game after what transpired against Idaho last week is just inexcusable. That takes the wind out of the entire team to allow that to happen on the road and no I will not blame the player on that because the defense he was placed in exposed him to that type of play. So don't blame our player for that Mac it ain't right... gives a team that was embarrassed last week immediate life. Hard to let that one go by.

The other thing is Skladany's refusal to blitz early in the game. He waits until we are literally on life support in the 4th quarter and actually starts to put some blitz pressure on their QB. By that point our defense is gassed and Ohio is just trying to run out the clock as Solich teams will do.