South Bama leading Tulane 14-0

Harry

You do realize that this is Football correct? Strength of Schedule doesn't matter.

Then why does it play a role in the rankings? And why do they even bother ranking the conferences for that matter.... So south Alabama goes undefeated and Alabama loses a game to A&M by your logic south Alabama would get the nod...? Because it does not matter who you play only that you win. That's a new one for me.

(perhaps using the term RPI made my post a bit miss leading. I am a basketball guy but I know for a fact in football who you play matters when it comes down to rankings.)

Edited by Andrew

Then why does it play a role in the rankings? And why do they even bother ratings the conferences for that matter.... So south Alabama goes undefeated and Alabama loses a game to A&M by your logic south Alabama would get the nod...? Because it does not matter who you play only that you win. That's a new one for me.

It doesn't play a role in the rankings if we're talking about teams that have almost no chance of being ranked anyway.

And rating conferences is a fun drill that blogs and sports magazines do for fun . . . those ratings are not used to calculate rankings. They are not used to determine who goes to bowl games.

In the long term, I do agree that conferences that have low performing teams will hurt the conference's perception. But that's about as far as it goes.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

It doesn't play a role in the rankings if we're talking about teams that have almost no chance of being ranked anyway.

And rating conferences is a fun drill that blogs and sports magazines do for fun . . . those ratings are not used to calculate rankings. They are not used to determine who goes to bowl games.

In the long term, I do agree that conferences that have low performing teams will hurt the conference's perception. But that's about as far as it goes.

There is a reason the sunbelt does not get a lot of bowl bids... They are awful. That is directly tied to their teams records and who they play. If a team cannot on a regular basis beat good teams then it hurts their program and the conference. What is the point in wanting to move up a conference if beating FCS schools all day will get the job done. All that leaves is money and if that is 100% what it is all about then college football is a joke!

• Upvote 1

There is a reason the sunbelt does not get a lot of bowl bids... They are awful. That is directly tied to their teams records and who they play.

No, it's directly tied into who their conference has bowl tie-ins with. The Sun Belt was a stronger conference than C-USA last year, but which conference had an 8-4 team sit at home last year with no bowl invitation? As has happened before, the Sun Belt (MUTS that time).

If a team cannot on a regular basis beat good teams then it hurts their program and the conference.

Long term, that's true. But a couple wins or losses are not going to have much impact in the grand scheme of things.

What is the point in wanting to move up a conference if beating FCS schools all day will get the job done.

A team can only count one win against an FCS team toward bowl eligibility. So, no, beating FCS schools all day won't get anyone to a bowl game.

Agree with those saying we should be pulling for CUSA teams. In fact, that's what I've enjoyed most about the conference change thus far this year...easier opportunity to watch/cheer for our conference mates.

Down 31-19 at halftime, looks like we'll see how close the family resemblance is for The Comeback Kid's kid.

• Upvote 2

I was comparing the likes of some former sunbelt teammates or maybe even current conferences mates to the likes of a FCS school. At some point if you want to be ranked or work your way to the top you have to beat good schools. Schools who do not lose to the likes of south Alabama or Florida international.

• Upvote 1

Then why does it play a role in the rankings? And why do they even bother ranking the conferences for that matter.... So south Alabama goes undefeated and Alabama loses a game to A&M by your logic south Alabama would get the nod...? Because it does not matter who you play only that you win. That's a new one for me.

(perhaps using the term RPI made my post a bit miss leading. I am a basketball guy but I know for a fact in football who you play matters when it comes down to rankings.)

S.O.S doesn't matter for anyone in CUSA...

Or the Sun Belt...

Or the American whatever...

Or the MAC...

Or the MWC (usually)...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1