Bobcats Fend Off Mean Green 31-30 In Double OT (2009)

Harry

Bobcats Fend Off Mean Green 31-30 In Double OT

DENTON, Texas (AP) -Theo Scott and Taylor Price hooked up for a 15-yard touchdown and the ensuing 2-point conversion pass as Ohio rallied for a 31-30 double-overtime victory over North Texas on Saturday.

Ohio (1-1) decided to go for two points after a roughing-the-passer penalty on the TD moved the ball inside the 2-yard line.

The teams matched field goals in the first overtime before Cam Montgomery gave North Texas a 30-23 lead on the first possession of the second extra period with a 7-yard TD run.

North Texas (1-1) forced overtime with 46 seconds left when Jeremy Knott's 18-yard field goal tied it at 20-20.

Kenny Jackson gave Ohio its first lead of the night with a 69-yard interception return in the fourth quarter, picking off backup quarterback Nathan Tune after starter Riley Dodge (12 of 22, 117 yards) left the game with a shoulder injury.

Link to game stats: http://www.ohiobobcats.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2009-2010/nt02.html

I remember how depressing that was. We were so pumped after Ball State, then had to deal with shitty weather (I think) and that boneheaded and controversial penalty by one of our boys. Imagine what could've happen if we started 2-0

• Upvote 1

Jeremy Knott had three field goals in that game. That's a name I hadn't thought about in awhile.

One of the the things I still hold against Dodge, is that he went for it on 4th and goal, instead of having Knott kick the fg when he had already kicked (I believe) 2 by that point. I remember thinking right then, "we may need those points". Remind me to let this go.

It is astounding some of the ways we have managed to snatch defeat from the claws of victory over the last 10 years.

Ha, 10 years? You need to hear the stories from posters like DallasGreen who saw such games as the '67 Arkansas game in Fayettville.

We went 8-2 that year. Arkansas was bidding for a National Championship and finished 10-1. Yet they had to have a call by a ref who ruled that our receiver didnt catch a TD when he came down in bounds with the ball in hand,.. to beat us 17-15.

Everyone who was there I have talked to said we got the shaft on that one.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick