Brelan's last punt return

MeanGreenDadx2

My impression of Brelan's last punt return was he was "possessed". He absolutely refused to go down, refused to quit and actually seemed to run harder as the return played out. He used his blockers very well and made cuts to the open. If he does that for every return and kickoff, we will see TDs. Comments?

he's definitely got that cat like quality of being able to keep his balance/stay on his feet while getting hit. i see him doing good things on kickoffs as always and hopefully punts too, but their punter out kicked his coverage a couple of times that game, which helped a good bit. more so on the first good return, but also the second. that being said, i think he has a good chance of returning a punt for a td this year and maybe adding 1 or 2 kickoff tds.

Maybe my favorite thing that we learned from this game is that we have a legitimate D1 receiving corp with depth.

We usually talk about how the o-line, running backs, linebackers, or sometimes even defensive backs are our best and/or deepest unit. Saturday showed that that honor could go to our receivers.

As special a receiver as brelan is, I think Darnell Smith may be our number 1 receiver and for good reason. He's our most underrated player on the team IMO and his talent gets overlooked because he was once a walkon. He's got the size, speed, and route-running abilities to move the chains and be a deep threat. Also Kidsy, Terrell, Harris, And others showed play-making potential at wideout in game 1.

My point through that splurge on the receivers is that Brelan can be on the bench this year and we can still move the ball through the air. We went 5 wide a few times Saturday with Brelan on the sidelines.

While it would be a waste to not get our dynamic playmaker the ball through the air, we have options and can give him plenty of rest time before and after his returns. This way he won't be worn out and he can be fresh while returning punts and kicks, helping us win that battle of field position.

As exciting as it was, he shouldn't have been in the game to return a meaningless punt. Give someone else some live reps. We all know Brelan may get hurt. I don't think he lined up as a receiver in the 4th, so why risk our best offensive weapon at that stage???

Though I was quite happy with the return, the entire time that the play was being lined up, I kept asking my buddy why they still had Brelan in there!!??

No need to get our best people out there on a punt return that had no impact on the game at all, since all the damage had been done.