Would you like to see the UNT Flying Worm retro uniform return?

Harry

I agree with all that the Centennial look was much better than the current unis, but I appreciate the "special event" association that they currently carry. I'd hate to lose that if worn on a whim, or multiple times a season.

I'd be OK making them the traditional homecoming uniform similar to the Cowboys' thanksgiving day unis.

I know it's been posted before but can someone post pics of "flying worm" and "SOW". I get confused. My basic feeling is, pick a color/design and STICK WITH IT! Each damn AD wants to put his stamp on the department. Once RV leaves will we go through it again. Whatever the logo is in the pic of the Jtron, I'm not a fan. I'm not crazy about current design but its growing on me.

• Upvote 1

I know it's been posted before but can someone post pics of "flying worm" and "SOW". I get confused. My basic feeling is, pick a color/design and STICK WITH IT! Each damn AD wants to put his stamp on the department. Once RV leaves will we go through it again. Whatever the logo is in the pic of the Jtron, I'm not a fan. I'm not crazy about current design but its growing on me.

The one on the jumbotron is the Flying Worm and SOW ("son of worm") appears in UNTexas avatar right above this.

And, for completeness, the one appearing in my avatar is LFW ("Looking for worm") :lol:

Edited by meaniegreenie
  • Upvote 3

Keep the classic throwback template, update the green to kelly green, put "Mean Green" on the front of the home jersey and "North Texas" on the away (like baseball does), add shoulder numbers and names, and slap the diving eagle on the helmet. Have a white and green helmet for variety, but only white pants. Then leave it alone.

I dig the Fry tribute game idea. But yeah, definitely use these as a throwback for HC or season openers once a season. You could have a different amalgam every year if you really wanted to, and still auction them off for scholarships or whatever. But I still think it's cool only as a kitschy throwback and not as a constant.

As far as the ever-present "what to use on the uniform" discussion, it reminds me of when we worked to make the official UNT ring design. You have a bunch of stuff you'd like to include, but you have limited space, so what stays and what goes?

You could mix-and-match what goes where, but the SOW would just look so awesome on the helmets. Interlocked NT could be on the arm or something. As to the words...what if the front was like

MEAN

GREEN

...and the back was

THOMPSON

NORTH

TEXAS

...?

Again, you could switch around a lot of that (front to back, back to front, or even have the interlocked NT on the back of the helmet between the wings of the SOW on either side) but really, on one hand you could have uniforms that look too busy and on the other hand they could be too simple and piss off the supporters.

I had SO many people say the retro 100-year uniforms looked AWESOME and ask me if they would be wearing the uniform again the rest of the season. RV has been adamant that they would not and I understand that the University has dumped a lot of time and dough into the SOW...which I also like BTW...

That said would you vote for the retro look to return again this season or in the future?

Harry, so does the US post office!

• Upvote 1

RIP Flying Worm. We loved you in your time and bask in your nostalgia including the year NT finished 6th in the nation and DIDN'T get invited to a bowl game. Travesty. This also goes with the rounded NT in a football shape (Joe Greene last season).

I would be happy with interlocking NT or the SOW. Not fond of the North Texas on the side.

Done with the throwbacks. Great look for one game, now lets focus on our identity going forward. I like the interlocking NT personally.

My parents both sort of chuckled at the flying worm incidentally. I had to explain to them what the heck it was. They are both A&M and TTech grads, for what it's worth.

Mixed feelings but this newer generation needs its own Identity.

Great memories of the worm because of mostly winning seasons it represented, but SOW, ie, "son of worm" is close enough for me.

Would like to find something and stick with it a couple of generations, though.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen