Mac releases 2 deep

NT03

Austin Orr ahead of Sir Calvin Wallace as Abbe's backup is surprising.

Agree with you here...thought Sir Calvin had made some big strides this off-season. Guess Austin made even bigger ones. Congrats to Austion. But, I do think we will all see a decent dose of Sir Calvin as well. May be a sign that the Mean Green depth chart is actually seeing some depth.

Edited by KRAM1

And you know, players never improve or anything.

Exactly...are not seniors supposed to be and generally are.....better than freshmen players given to odd superstar freshman? Seems to me that every player should be getting better with each year of experience. To change just for the sake of change seems odd to me if you believe your players have improved. If the starters from last season are still number one this season, seems to me that they have earned it in the eyes of the coaching staff.

And, remember, starters are simply those who line up for the initial play. Who knows how the substitution patterns and playing time will work out as the year progresses. We shall all begin to see soon enough. Congrats to all the Mean Green players where ever they may be on the depth chart.

One question...why is the deep snapper left off the depth chart? Outrageous I tell you...outrageous travesty of justice!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Does make you wonder. We can pretty much dismiss coach talk in the off season.

Or newly hired coach talk. Remember how bad a state Dodge said the program was in when he was hired? Heaven forbid if Msc has to go after this year, I'm sure we will hear the same thing from whomever takes his place.

It dumbs down expectations and buys that coach time with impatient fans. Every newly hired coach does it, except for Benford.

Jeez, he's not even any good at coach speak!!! ;-)

• Upvote 1

I counted 15 starters that are Dodge's players. Considering that no transfers or JUCOs are starting says one of two things. Either McCarney is a terrible recruiter or that Dodge didn't leave the cupboard as bare as everyone thought. Though in all honesty, I think its both.

Everybody crowed about waiting until he got his guys in and how much better the team will be. Well, its been three years, his guys are in and they suck. These are the lasts of Dodges players, after they graduate this year, UNT is going to be in some serious trouble. (Assuming they aren't already)

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 8

I counted 15 starters that are Dodge's players. Considering that no transfers or JUCOs are starting says one of two things. Either McCarney is a terrible recruiter or that Dodge didn't leave the cupboard as bare as everyone thought. Though in all honesty, I think its both.

Everybody crowed about waiting until he got his guys in and how much better the team will be. Well, its been three years, his guys are in and they suck. These are the lasts of Dodges players, after they graduate this year, UNT is going to be in some serious trouble. (Assuming they aren't already)

I see you are still enamoured with us.

I think you are wrong. Many of Mac's recruits are on the two deep and are underclassmen. Dodge didn't recruit poorly, it was the coaching that was the problem. Mac changed the culture, the young men bought in and have matured and Mac's players ars being properly developed. I see D Williams, Kirby, Rentfro, McKinney, Jimmerson, Smjth, Harris, Terrell, Trice, Ellis, Akunne, Lee, Evans, etc... on here that are Mac's recruits. Try again.

• Upvote 2

Exactly. I'm sick and tired of people misunderstanding the "empty cupboard" arguments. What the problem was is that we didn't have big enough recruiting classes and we didn't end up developing them well even if they had talent. Dodge brought a huge amount of talent, just not many talented players and then never bothered to improve them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If you think special teams aren't important, go re-watch the K St. game from last year.

Be prepared to see lots of punts bouncing along the turf when Chancellor isn't signaling for a fair catch when no one is within 15 yards of him.

And I don't necessarily blame Chancellor for this. I think it is a part of a VERY conservative football philosophy from DMac.

I expect is to run on 1st down the first three first downs of the Idaho game, if not the first 5.

Make no mistake, that is Chancellor, because if it isn't we have the most inept coaching staff in the world. I have never in my life heard a coach tell any player to not catch punt. The ball is either going to bounce in favor or the kicking team, losing field position, or bounce in favor of the receiving team, possibly touching a blocker and becoming a turnover. I hate seeing that ball hit the ground, it infuriates me.

Make no mistake, that is Chancellor, because if it isn't we have the most inept coaching staff in the world. I have never in my life heard a coach tell any player to not catch punt. The ball is either going to bounce in favor or the kicking team, losing field position, or bounce in favor of the receiving team, possibly touching a blocker and becoming a turnover. I hate seeing that ball hit the ground, it infuriates me.

Well, if it is Chancellor's fault, why is he still back there? You can't tell me that judgment that bad is the best we have on this football team.

I think he does exactly what Mac wants him to do.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Well, if it is Chancellor's fault, why is he still back there? You can't tell me that judgment that bad is the best we have on this football team.

I think he does exactly what Mac wants him to do.

I couldn't tell you why he is still back there. I like Mac, but if he ever told a punt returner to let the ball hit the ground I would have no choice but to hate him.