Mac releases 2 deep

NT03

This and with all of the talk of how there is so much more competition and depth, basically no new starters except where they had a hole to fill due to injury or graduation. Seems weird, that no one new can come in and earn a starting role.

I know this is a weak defense with little evidence, but Mac seems like he starts the returning guy no matter what. Maybe he mixes in other people, but as far as who starts the game it is pretty easy to predict

A lot of you seem to be ignoring the importance that depth has on a team. This will be the difference this year. We may not have superstars all over replacing last year's starters, but we sure do have more depth. It means we will have fresher legs stepping in throughout the game, which in any team sport makes a big difference.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

My initial thoughts are nothing to surprising. Was hoping to see Chris Loving be listed as a TE. Or maybe it UNT should list the TE position this way Receiving TE and Blocking TE. I like Drew Miller and Daniel Prior, but I don't think Idaho will be scheming to take them away. The back-up QB situation is interesting who do you think gets the first call if the game is out of reach? Who do you think gets the first call if an injury arises or bad play? My guess is that Dajon gets the call if UNT is walking away with it. If something bad happens I would look for McNulty to be the guy that trots out there. I'm looking for a lot out the Back Seven on defense. The Linebackers and Defensive Backs should be an above average group. There should be plenty of depth to have a healthy rotation of guys back there as well. Offensively I'm excited about the Running Back depth and interested to see how the WR group shakes out. Can't wait for Saturday!

Starting almost the exact same squad that went 4-8 last year. This could be a long season.

This is a valid reason for concern.

I'm hoping that these guys have improved though. O-line was a strength last year, and should only be better this year. WR's were oft-injured last year, and should hopefully be healthy (therefore better) this year. TE/H-back: same boat, and these guys were good. Hopefully Loving comes on... QB? It is what it is.

I'm hoping to see a noticeable improvement on defense (particularly in the secondary) since the same DC is returning this year and the same players are returning. Hopefully the guys have bought in more and are more comfortable in coach Skladany's system. I think we're all happy with the LB situation. DL? It is what it is.

• Upvote 1

The defense is fine. Like I've said before...we win with a more wide open playbook which is nearly a guarantee due to the QB situation and getting the ball into the end zone instead of missing a field goal.

Things that will be fixed this year. The team improved last year whether the record showed it or not. Also, our schedule is far easier.

• Upvote 1

Short of Berglund not unseating Thompson, I'm not sure what you could be disappointed with on offense. We'll see all 3 tailbacks again this season...and like last year I bet no one gets to 1000 yards, but all end up in the 600-800 yard range. Darnell Smith is a steady receiver...having Brelan and Carlos on the field at the same time could be very interesting. Loving will play plenty...Miller and Prior are both more h-backs anyway and we play a good deal of 3 TE. Marcus Smith will probably be brought along slowly, but could prove a threat if he stays healthy.

On defense, yes, we're a bit thin (both in terms of depth and size) at DT, but I think we're as big at DE as I can remember...once Sarge comes back it looks like we'll have a rotation of 3 250lb plus ends plus a speed rush end in Polk. LB depth is a bit worrying...Marshall, Scott and Ellis have very few snaps between them, but there's speed and potential there. Secondary looks solid to me.

Basically, I'm content and confident.

• Upvote 6

The defense is fine. Like I've said before...we win with a more wide open playbook which is nearly a guarantee due to the QB situation and getting the ball into the end zone instead of missing a field goal.

Things that will be fixed this year. The team improved last year whether the record showed it or not. Also, our schedule is far easier.

I think our d-line may be ok. I am starting to buy into the speed versus size argument we have been hearing from Skladany. Boutwell and Lincoln are undersized but very quick and talented. If Abbe can tow the line and take up space I think we could be ok. My concern is can Orr fill in for when Abbe needs a breather or is there a significant dropoff there.

Not too many surprises, other than LaJaylin Smith not at OLB and Freddie Warner making the 2 deep at backup Safety.

As far as TE, Loving just got here this summer, so it isnt surprising that Prior and Miller are there. Beside there will be plenty of 2 or even 3 TE sets. He will play unless he is just awful. Same for Marcus Smith when they want a receiving TE.

Dline isnt surprising. Sarge will play when healthy. Hopefully Wallace will too, as I know Mac has always wanted 3 deep at DT. He will be needed.

Still sad that walkons are playing ahead of 3 star WR recruits.

We should play the Nickel this year. So I wonder who is on the field in that formation. Which DB is the nickel back? Jones? Which 2 LBs are on the field. I would assume Orr and Akunne.

Do you play the bigger DEs or the quick Polk to chase the QB?

I think to answer your nickel question it depends on the situation. If you come one on first down in Nickel I would want my bigger DE's on the field. If its pretty much a passing down then put Polk in. I think the Nickel Back may end up being Marcus Trice with Evans sliding into safety. I think you want your Nickel guy to be pretty instinctive and to be able to play near the line of scrimmage something that Trice has shown. Because they actually have DEPTH in the Back Seven UNT can mix and match pretty much anyway. They have guys for a lot of different situations which is something you want if your a coach.

Not too many surprises, other than LaJaylin Smith not at OLB and Freddie Warner making the 2 deep at backup Safety.

As far as TE, Loving just got here this summer, so it isnt surprising that Prior and Miller are there. Beside there will be plenty of 2 or even 3 TE sets. He will play unless he is just awful. Same for Marcus Smith when they want a receiving TE.

Dline isnt surprising. Sarge will play when healthy. Hopefully Wallace will too, as I know Mac has always wanted 3 deep at DT. He will be needed.

Still sad that walkons are playing ahead of 3 star WR recruits.

We should play the Nickel this year. So I wonder who is on the field in that formation. Which DB is the nickel back? Jones? Which 2 LBs are on the field. I would assume Orr and Akunne.

Do you play the bigger DEs or the quick Polk to chase the QB?

I think we'll see a lot of nickel, even on first and second down...for running downs I'd bring Evans and move Trice closer to the line as a rover...for passing downs, I like it when Hilbert tucks inside as a slot corner...move him inside and bring Jones on outside. Figure that between Warner and Evans you've two experienced reserves...and I'd bet that Chad Davis will start to see the field more as he finds his feet, the secondary isn't really a concern.

• Upvote 1

Chancellor as punt returner? Good grief!!

One thing(well, 3 actually) is clear, either DMac completely lied about the talent he inherited from Dodge (that 5 win first season is pretty good evidence of this), his recruiting and development has been awful, or he is just a crusty old goat who will only dance with the girl that bring him, no matter the talent level of any of the newer players.

Personally, I think it's a combination of all 3 and don't think this 2 deep inspires confidence for anything other than a 4 or 5 win season at the most.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Chancellor as punt returner? Good grief!!

One thing(well, 3 actually) is clear, either DMac completely lied about the talent he inherited from Dodge (that 5 win first season is pretty good evidence of this), his recruiting and development has been awful, or he is just a crusty old goat who will only dance with the girl that bring him, no matter the talent level of any of the newer players.

Personally, I think it's a combination of all 3 and don't think this 2 deep inspires confidence for anything other than a 4 or 5 win season at the most.

Really complaining about the punt returner? Come on. I think the only crusty old goat is yourself. It's a good thing that this two deep doesn't need your stamp of approval. There are plenty of level headed rational Mean Green fans who know and understand that there is way more depth and talent on this team than in years past. Maybe if you wiped away the crust from your eyes you could have a glance at it. Either way take those petty complaints somewhere else. Saturday is my Christmas and I aint letting no Grinch like yourself spoil it. Here is to the Mean Green shoving your talent and depth complaints right back in your face!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Starter wise , we are basically running out the same exact team as last year

Except that many are now bigger, somewhat faster, and not injujred. And in the case of the defense, they have a full year under their belt learning their new DC's system.

It's my believe that just those factors alone would have made a difference in the Troy, MUTS, and WKU game......and maybe the Ark St. game. So in stead of 4-8 we would have been 7-5 or even 8-4.

• Upvote 1

Really complaining about the punt returner? Come on. I think the only crusty old goat is yourself. It's a good thing that this two deep doesn't need your stamp of approval. There are plenty of level headed rational Mean Green fans who know and understand that there is way more depth and talent on this team than in years past. Maybe if you wiped away the crust from your eyes you could have a glance at it. Either way take those petty complaints somewhere else. Saturday is my Christmas and I aint letting no Grinch like yourself spoil it. Here is to the Mean Green shoving your talent and depth complaints right back in your face!

If you think special teams aren't important, go re-watch the K St. game from last year.

Be prepared to see lots of punts bouncing along the turf when Chancellor isn't signaling for a fair catch when no one is within 15 yards of him.

And I don't necessarily blame Chancellor for this. I think it is a part of a VERY conservative football philosophy from DMac.

I expect is to run on 1st down the first three first downs of the Idaho game, if not the first 5.

Again, wanting change just for change's sake is insanity.

No surprises on the first name, and not many on the second team. Of course, the coaches know who the back ups are but are listing more players were it is really close or as in the case of QB; it might make it a little tougher on the opponent.

Good news is that Warner appears really to play and the freshmen linebackers are progressing. If you having figured it out, wrs must be blockers as well as receivers for McCarney. Expect to see the same run first offense unless the score gets lopsided one way or the other.

The dl line remains overall suspect, but I continue to think that de is the bigger issue, not dt. Abbe, Boutwell, Lincoln and Orr should be a pretty good rotation at dl. I think Bellazin is going to have a big year at de, but until Brown recovers: I don't see much of a pass rush. Polk and Roberts are unknowns, so depth is definitely a question.

Coach McCarney said last night on his radio show that he has 8 offensive linemen who he can interchange (and give them rest from heat conditions) and that to me is a great thing as compared to when we barely had mostly the starting offensive line and that was it as far as quality goes..

Here's hoping DT#7 lights it up this Saturday evening at Apogee but if not, how many times in college football have we seen the 2'nd string QB come in, do exceedingly well and create a QB controversy (as if we didn't already have one)? LOL!

I may be wrong, but my hunch tells me Derek T. in his senior year and with more receivers (who can catch the ball) puts it all together but if not....seems we have other QB talent waiting in the wings?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

Coach McCarney said last night on his radio show that he has 8 offensive linemen who he can interchange (and give them rest from heat conditions) and that to me is a great thing as compared to when we barely had mostly the starting offensive line and that was it as far as quality goes..

Here's hoping DT#7 lights it up this Saturday evening at Apogee but if not, how many times in college football have we seen the 2'nd string QB come in, do exceedingly well and create a QB controversy (as if we didn't already have one)? LOL!

I may be wrong, but my hunch tells me Derek T. in his senior year and with more receivers (who can catch the ball) puts it all together but if not....seems we have other QB talent waiting in the wings?

GMG!

That is actually the best position we can be in, absent a QB who has definitively seized the reins.

That offensive line looks as deep and talented as anyone's. If we can just get the QB play to go along with receivers who come through and get the job done, I don't see why this team can't score a whole lot of points. Of course none of that matters if we don't get the right moves coming from the sideline, but I'm fairly optimistic overall. I'm thinking that we're finally due a pleasant surprise season here in Mean Green Country.