My hopes for Mean Green Football this Season

Harry

Offense: A strong, punishing running game that keeps defenses honest. A passing game that throws on first down. A tight end and two receivers other than Chancellor emerge. Quarterback depth is developed so we aren't starting from scratch after DT graduates.

Defense: Better outcomes in 3rd and long situations. More sacks. Giving up big passing plays that are earned not just due to coverage errors. A new defensive end and tackle emerge. Take a few chances with the blitz versus allowing long sustained drives which can be demoralizing.

Special teams: Better overall athleticism. I don't expect special teams to win games, just not lose them as they did against K-State etc last season. Hope that Macek can be solid.

Overall: Would like to see us have a respectable first year in C-USA.

Offense: A strong, punishing running game that keeps defenses honest. A passing game that throws on first down. A tight end and two receivers other than Chancellor emerge. Quarterback depth is developed so we aren't starting from scratch after DT graduates.

Defense: Better outcomes in 3rd and long situations. More sacks. Giving up big passing plays that are earned not just due to coverage errors. A new defensive end and tackle emerge. Take a few chances with the blitz versus allowing long sustained drives which can be demoralizing.

Special teams: Better overall athleticism. I don't expect special teams to win games, just not lose them as they did against K-State etc last season. Hope that Macek can be solid.

Overall: Would like to see us have a respectable first year in C-USA.

I think we've been scratching our heads over our QB situation since DT proved he wasn't a reliable D1 QB after the Texas Southern game last year
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Offense--I want to see the OL brutalize people with the run game. I want them to impose their will and grind defenses into fine, sifted powder with the run game. I want them to make the other team quit on the field. I want them to make defensive linemen and linebackers cry. I want the linmen to point at the hole when they get to the line of scrimmage and tell the defense: "We are running right here on this play, and we will get 6 yards, and you can't stop us."

And then do it.

I want to see the QB hit receivers that are open consistently. More than 1 or 2 of them. I want the WR's to produce 20 touchdowns this year. 2 RB's over 750 yards each, and another with at least 500. Elimination of foolish mistakes. Heady play on both sides of the ball. More playmakers to step up.

Defense--4-5 sacks per game, and 8-10 TFL's. Decapitated WR's in the defensive backfield. Receivers who quit on their routes because of the punishment. Our LB's with the other teams blood on their jerseys, reveling in it. Big jagged swatches of green helmet rubbed off on opposing helmets every game. Broken facemasks. This is a Dan McCarney and John Skladany coached team. That type of play is their hallmark. I can't wait to see it this year.

Winning season. That is my hope for this season.

• Upvote 6

Offense--I want to see the OL brutalize people with the run game. I want them to impose their will and grind defenses into fine, sifted powder with the run game. I want them to make the other team quit on the field. I want them to make defensive linemen and linebackers cry. I want the linmen to point at the hole when they get to the line of scrimmage and tell the defense: "We are running right here on this play, and we will get 6 yards, and you can't stop us."

And then do it.

I want to see the QB hit receivers that are open consistently. More than 1 or 2 of them. I want the WR's to produce 20 touchdowns this year. 2 RB's over 750 yards each, and another with at least 500. Elimination of foolish mistakes. Heady play on both sides of the ball. More playmakers to step up.

Defense--4-5 sacks per game, and 8-10 TFL's. Decapitated WR's in the defensive backfield. Receivers who quit on their routes because of the punishment. Our LB's with the other teams blood on their jerseys, reveling in it. Big jagged swatches of green helmet rubbed off on opposing helmets every game. Broken facemasks. This is a Dan McCarney and John Skladany coached team. That type of play is their hallmark. I can't wait to see it this year.

Winning season. That is my hope for this season.

Amen brotha.

Todd Dodge city was recently voted #1 in the "best husbands and fathers" category of US News and World Report.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-HCs4tRw8o

Since I couldnt figure out how to post a YouTube video on my ipad, Harry showed me how... That's the joke, nothing to do with Todd Dodge

Edited by Dr. Seuss

If we play like this next week will NT win???

If we score 40 and hold the other team to 6? I'd say we will. B)

Seriously though, Coach Mac said in the postgame interview that we will not beat Ohio if we play like that, and I believe he may be right. Even though all 3 phases of the game played good ball for the most part, giving up a few quick big plays like we did at the beginning, or missing extra points, could make winning much more difficult than it already will be.

To all those who buried Derek Thompson this summer I rest my case but I will not say "I told you so" and I will not say he will have such stats every game, either. Idaho was our opponent and they seem to be where we were 2 years ago. Still, he's a 5'th year QB and sometimes in the past having watched NCAA college fooball for about half a century they just seem to have the "a-ha" experience and just put it all together their last year.

Also amazing how more Mean Green receivers who can catch the ball and along with a larger committee of RB's who can run the ball plus........a good game plan will (IMHO) make our 5'th year QB more than a formidable force for the 2013 season. The Ohio game will be a tough game, but it will also give us a better focus on this team. I look forward to watching them play Louisville this afternoon on ESPN. (Hey! We will have 1 more day to recoop from our Game Day so that is a good thing)! :)

DT/#7 may not do all what he did last night every game since we don't play Idaho every game, but we have an offense that I believe will be able to keep many of our future much better opponent's offenses off the field. We have to keep in mind, too, that we have many other newbies on this team who will become contributors and hopefully a tad before or right when CUSA conference play begins.

. Dajon Willaims, our freshmen QB in his short stint last night showed many of us that he has what some call the intangible "IT" factor working for him. Amazing how so few plays seemed to show, uh, it, too.

Our defense is a work in progress and had a very slow start last night, but its easy to see they have potential for marked improvement. We need a DE and a DT to step up and become stars on this Mean Green "D" to support a good supporting cast. I believe our secondary will be fine after first quarter jitters last night.

This season has so much more promise to hit .500 and above if the entire team will just keep on improving across the board and my bet says they will.

Once again, this Mean Green freshman QB really impressed many of us last night in such a short time on the field.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen