'Duck Dynasty' 2013 Premiere Shatters Cable Ratings Record

http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/blogs/duck-dynasty-premiere-shatters-cable-ratings-record

This is one duck that just continues to soar.

The A&E network has announced that the Season Four premiere of its hit reality television series "Duck Dynasty" bowed to a record-breaking 11.8 million viewers, the most ever for a nonfiction program on cable TV. The previous reality-show record of 10.6 million viewers was set by TLC's Jon & Kate Plus 8 in 2009.

The series, which follows the colorful characters of the Robertson family and their Duck Commander business, also had more total activity across all major social media platforms than any other telecast on cable or broadcast for the night, A&E reported.

Thanks to its authentic and engaging characters, 'Duck Dynasty' has become more than just a reality show, it is a cultural phenomenon, A&E Vice President David McKillop said in a statement. We would like to thank the Robertsons for their incredible partnership. We are all happy, happy, happy.

Rick

Awesome. I can go back to work tomorrow and tell the guys that its true and I have personal proof that there are people out there that doesn't like this show cause I actually know two of them.

Rick

It might be better to hold back

Because you aren't quite on the right track

I've sat in recliners

And enjoyed "Moonshiners"

And this seems like those guys, on quack.

New York Times: "A Calculated Push Into Entertainment Lifts Duck Dynasty Familys Fortunes".

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/26/business/media/duck-dynasty-familys-fortunes-lifted-by-calculated-push-into-reality-tv.html?_r=0

Now the range of merchandise attached to the Robertson name is so vast shirts, caps, coolers, books, edibles, hunting gear of every kind that keeping track of it has become almost impossible, said Willie Robertson, scion of the Robertson clan and president of the Duck Commander company.

Last week, he was at the corporate headquarters of Walmart and was surprised to see his face on a garden gnome. I knew I had a Chia Pet and a bobblehead and an action figure, Mr. Robertson said by phone. I didnt know I had a garden gnome. Thats awesome. I guess Pez dispenser is the last weird thing I have to see myself on.

Chances are that pitch will come shortly. Every day I get pitched on this, pitched on that, Mr. Robertson said. Its like youre living in a movie.

That movie is mostly a creation of Mr. Robertson and his family, a conscious dive into the entertainment world that has lifted a regional business into an international phenomenon. The show is seen in more than 100 countries, drawing strong ratings on networks from England to Latin America.

The show does well across this country, though as might be expected, it fares best in the South, with Atlanta, Knoxville, Tenn., Charlotte, N.C., and Birmingham, Ala., among the top locations in ratings.

I thought we were booming before, Mr. Robertson said. Booming is a relative term.

The family-owned business has private sales figures, but Mr. Robertson offered some indications of the level of growth. Ive seen figures of 2,200 percent growth, he said.

I'd love to know how much money they give to ULM and La Tech's football programs, especially since they filmed part of one episode inside Malone Stadium two years ago.

Rick

Don't get this show. I think it's the new "in" show to watch in our culture.

That is just sad.

--Holy-moly ... we agree on something.... watching my dog run around the back yard is more exciting... At least the Kardasians (also bad) are better looking. I'm guessing that almost anyone that actually attended college a few days are bored by it..( hope so anyway )

New York Times: "A Calculated Push Into Entertainment Lifts Duck Dynasty Familys Fortunes".http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/26/business/media/duck-dynasty-familys-fortunes-lifted-by-calculated-push-into-reality-tv.html?_r=0

I'd love to know how much money they give to ULM and La Tech's football programs, especially since they filmed part of one episode inside Malone Stadium two years ago.

Rick

ULL might benefit the most since I believe the family member that created the company went to ULL and played as a quarterback for a season or two before giving up football for hunting, which later morphed into his duck calling business.

ULL might benefit the most since I believe the family member that created the company went to ULL and played as a quarterback for a season or two before giving up football for hunting, which later morphed into his duck calling business.

The father, Phil Robertson, started at La Tech ahead of Terry Bradshaw back in the day. ULL is left out of this fortune. I did find it interesting that they filmed at Malone showing the Warhawks scoreboard, but other than a mention here or there about Bradshaw, nothing has been said about La Tech.

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/18740/how-good-was-phil-robertson-at-football

I don't think supporting La Tech is a big deal to him since he walked away from there years ago.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20130821/ENT/130821014/-Duck-Dynasty-patriarch-Phil-Robertson-speaks-Warhawks-Christ

Edited by UNTLifer

--Holy-moly ... we agree on something.... watching my dog run around the back yard is more exciting... At least the Kardasians (also bad) are better looking. I'm guessing that almost anyone that actually attended college a few days are bored by it..( hope so anyway )

I think the reason why more people watch them than the stupid Kardasians is because of the differences in their family/moral life. I think people are tired of the typical celebrity, look-at-me, pregnant out of wedlock, sleep around stupidity of many of the people on reality television, and are attracted to a family that has their priorities in place.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Phil played for La Tech. Willie played for ULM and admitted he was a big donor or "alumni" there now, so I assume he's probably fairly involved?

Rick

• Upvote 1

I think the reason why more people watch them than the stupid Kardasians is because of the differences in their family/moral life. I think people are tired of the typical celebrity, look-at-me, pregnant out of wedlock, sleep around stupidity of many of the people on reality television, and are attracted to a family that has their priorities in place.

Or a family that presents that their priorities are in place. This is television, not real life.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm a duck hunter, so I enjoy the show. But I do not expect too much from it. The show has to be scripted. But it is simple humor and strong family morals. It makes me laugh. Then again, I can also relate to a lot of it. It is my family upbringing almost to a "T". I watched them when they just had the Duck Commander show on the Outdoor Channel. So I miss the hunting scenes.

• Upvote 1

I watched them when they just had the Duck Commander show on the Outdoor Channel. So I miss the hunting scenes.

That's the interesting part in how the show got started. The ODC did a couple of shows that included Robertson family and the response was so that they decided to try a pilot, and it went from there.

One of my friends I grew up with in HS has cousins whose kids go to private christian school with the Robertson's kiddos and say what you see personality wise, is what you get.

BTW, i had to miss it due to being out of town, but I would have loved to have seen Willie M.C. the "Buckets and Boots" event back in July up in Grafford north of Mineral Wells. The event benefitted the volunteer fire departments who battled the wildfires in Palo Pinto and Young counties last year.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick