Harry

For the last two seasons, the man handed the responsibility of carrying the Mean Green offense has been senior quarterback Derek Thompson. That could no longer be the case, as head coach Dan McCarney opened competition at the position this offseason, giving the four eligible quarterbacks on the depth chart the opportunity to compete to start week one when the University of Idaho comes to town.

“Even though we started preparing for Idaho earlier this week, we still take about three fourths of the practice to compete and evaluate the position,” McCarney said.

“It’s fun to see because there really is some real competition going on right now and these guys all want to be the one to lead the team.”

Derek Thompson

Thompson has the experience in starting and the strongest chemistry with his receivers because of his starting role the last two years with the team.

In his two years as a starter, Thompson has accumulated 25 touchdowns and 20 interceptions with a completion percentage of more than 57 percent. He produced just 14 touchdowns and 14 interceptions last year.

McCarney said Thompson has been taking snaps solely with the first string offense.

“As far as the quarterback position goes this is the most depth we have ever had here,” Thompson said. “Any competition is good competition and we push each other and coach each other.”

Read more: http://ntdaily.com/quarterback-unt-football-team-undecided/

For the last two seasons, the man handed the responsibility of carrying the Mean Green offense has been senior quarterback Derek Thompson. That could no longer be the case, as head coach Dan McCarney opened competition at the position this offseason, giving the four eligible quarterbacks on the depth chart the opportunity to compete to start week one when the University of Idaho comes to town.

“Even though we started preparing for Idaho earlier this week, we still take about three fourths of the practice to compete and evaluate the position,” McCarney said.

“It’s fun to see because there really is some real competition going on right now and these guys all want to be the one to lead the team.”

Derek Thompson

Thompson has the experience in starting and the strongest chemistry with his receivers because of his starting role the last two years with the team.

In his two years as a starter, Thompson has accumulated 25 touchdowns and 20 interceptions with a completion percentage of more than 57 percent. He produced just 14 touchdowns and 14 interceptions last year.

McCarney said Thompson has been taking snaps solely with the first string offense.

“As far as the quarterback position goes this is the most depth we have ever had here,” Thompson said. “Any competition is good competition and we push each other and coach each other.”

Read more: http://ntdaily.com/quarterback-unt-football-team-undecided/

Now that is what most would call a team player because that is not always the case at other football collegiate outposts; in fact, it can get downright ugly and counter-productive.

In 40 years of following MG football I cannot recall this many quality QB's in Fall camp, but you still cannot have enough on stand-by due to injuries, attrition and all. IMHO, a football program should recruit at least 2 good quality QB's each year.

Would North Texas have even gone to the NO's Bowl and then defeat the C-USA champion Cincinatti Bearcats in 2002 if we had not had the late, great Andrew Smith waiting in the wings to come in for an injured Scott Hall?

If we get the DL in tip top shape this Fall then..............hmmm? :thumbsup:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

"McCarney said Thompson has been taking snaps solely with the first string offense"

So...Thompson is the starter and Mac is using the whole "undecided" act to create smoke and mirrors for other teams.

Can we stop talking about it now?

He didn't say Thompson was the sole QB taking snaps with the first string offense.

But your conclusion may well be correct.

• Upvote 2

"McCarney said Thompson has been taking snaps solely with the first string offense"

So...Thompson is the starter and Mac is using the whole "undecided" act to create smoke and mirrors for other teams.

Can we stop talking about it now?

Wording my friends, is so much more important than ever. Consider the difference between "Thompson has been taking snaps solely with the first string offense" and "only Thompson has been taking snaps with the first string offense". And 3-2-1 before Doggy Style posts "I told you so"!

Edited by eulessismore

42 TDs to 2 INTs his senior year? That is unreal! Isn't he a walk-on?

No, he was offered, along with the WR on the team. Both are RSF now and appear to be on the verge to see action at the FBS level. BSU sniffed. Offered a "walk on" and I heard FCS Montana was real interested. We got lucky and got two good kids. Why no other FBS pursuit? I am guessing he probably appeared thin (scrawny to some) and may have not had a cannon arm. I watched his junior and senior years. I always left the games very impressed with all phases. His team mate, the big WR, is quite athletic. I really thought he would go basketball D-1 somewhere.

• Upvote 1

Nice...happy for young Mr. Young. But, I don't give a rat's behind about him until the day the Mean Green lines up to beat him. He is not our QB, so let the folks at La Tech obsess over him. Me, only care on the one day a year he lines up...if he does...to play the Mean Green.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Louisiana Tech had the worst pass defense in the country last year. Ranked #120 our of 120. What will he do against someone that actually has a defense ? Time will tell.

• Upvote 1