AAC out bowled by C-USA?

Harry

Gotta give props to Commissioner Banowsky who secured 6 bowls for our conference today! Great job BB!

AAC folks not too happy about it:

1. Why is CUSA getting it done before AAC? Legitimate question.

2. CUSA scored some bowl spots that would have fit nicely in an AAC bowl lineup--the Shreveport backup spot, the New Orleans Bowl.

3. The Montgomery Bowl, the Boca Bowl and the Bahamas Bowl make it less likely that the Marlins Park Aresco Bowl happens.

4. And it happens on the same day that the AAC gets games sublicensed from the ESPN Family to CBS-SN, flushing the "all our games are going to be on basic (74M+) cable" down the toilet.

Read more: http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=644964

I am in Tulsa tonight and have definitely found our mean green takeover bar it's called The Hunt Club. It's in the district in downtown very cool - TVs live music awesome wings and cold beer.

I wish Tulsa and Tulane were staying and not sure this will be a good move for them long-term. CUSA has strong brand rep. We need to ride this happy train and get one of our teams into the BCS this year and playoffs going forward.

GMG

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Playing the MAC, Sun Belt, CUSA and to a lesser extent, the MWC is below us. I would always want to play the #7 SEC team above the MAC champion every time. Nobody cares if you beat Toledo, but beating say South Carolina for example, will give your program much more recognition.

We turned down deals with the MAC and Sun Belt and have limited our bowls with CUSA and the MWC in order to distance ouselves from the likes of them. Hence why we have more P5 tie-ins than anybody else in the G5. If we can stay on course and get the PAC for the Marlins Bowl, then all is well imo.

One should also keep in mind of our back-up tie-ins in places like the Liberty Bowl too. Plus our champion will almost always have the Access Bowl slot.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 16

Tulsa, and of course New Orleans, are great cities. I went to the game in Tulsa last season and had the opportunity to visit some shopping areas, a festival, some watering holes, and a wonderful Episcopal Church downtown. I'm very sorry to see Tulsa leave CUSA. I hope we can beat them on their way out.

New Orleans speaks for itself.

Re-consider Tulsa and Tulane. Come back and all is forgiven.

GO MEAN GREEN

Playing the MAC, Sun Belt, CUSA and to a lesser extent, the MWC is below us. I would always want to play the #7 SEC team above the MAC champion every time. Nobody cares if you beat Toledo, but beating say South Carolina for example, will give your program much more recognition.

We turned down deals with the MAC and Sun Belt and have limited our bowls with CUSA and the MWC in order to distance ouselves from the likes of them. Hence why we have more P5 tie-ins than anybody else in the G5. If we can stay on course and get the PAC for the Marlins Bowl, then all is well imo.

One should also keep in mind of our back-up tie-ins in places like the Liberty Bowl too. Plus our champion will almost always have the Access Bowl slot.

I'm going to try to ignore your continued back-handedness and answer reasonably: this is not so straightforward to me.

If I'm a traveling fan budgeting for a bowl game, there is no way I'd pay to see Vandy or some similar SEC bottom-rung team. I am more than a casual fan: I have a curious desire beyond passing interest to see how we would stack up against another conference champion or 2nd or 3rd ranked team...rather than a team that is simply benefiting from over saturated bowl tie-ins by SEC-hungry media types.

You don't need to explain to me that 98% of the college football world is interested in the AQs. Conversely, I trust I don't have to explain to you why, from a football matchup standpoint, a game with a 7th ranked SEC team does nothing for me.

It's easy to be snobby when you plan on spending 4 hours on your couch dumping Dorito crumbs down your cushion. But when you want to pay hundreds of dollars in travel costs, you start dissecting the variables of what your investing time and money in...more judiciously.

**EDIT:

I also like the non-football aspects of bowl games. From personal experience, if your team is not going to a BCS game the NO Bowl is a top 5 experience.

Edited by greenminer

What the hell are you drinking over in Beaumont? Houston is beneath playing MAC, SBC, CUSA, and MWC teams? Please!

• Upvote 3

After Louisville leaves I believe Uconn will have been the only BCS team in the AAC. That gives you very little perceived distance between the AAC and CUSA. You will have been to the same number of high profile bowls as the Mac and one above the sbc and CUSA. Further the juicier programs outside If what Cincy lie in other leagues. The MWC is way above the AAC with the juggernaut blue. CUSA well positioned to take off! GMG!!!!!

The AAC has really screwed the western teams. The closest bowl for Houston will be 600 miles away and the next closest will be 1,000 miles away. Western teams in CUSA are sitting pretty with the HoD/AF Bowls, NO Bowl, New Mexico Bowl, and Independence Bowl.

Actually, reading through that thread, it looks like he has secured 4 with 2 that alternate, still a very good job considering the teams he has left to work with.

The amazing thing is how poorly the AAC is doing. You have to wonder if having teams spread from hither to yon affects regional bowls' interest in the conference.

Couldn't happen to a better group of Big 5 wannabes.

Edited by UNT90

Actually, reading through that thread, it looks like he has secured 4 with 2 that alternate, still a very good job considering the teams he has left to work with.

The amazing thing is how poorly the AAC is doing. You have to wonder if having teams spread from hither to yon affects regional bowls' interest in the conference.

Couldn't happen to a better group of Big 5 wannabes.

HoD/AF

Hawaii/Beef

Boca Raton

Bahamas

New Mexico

New Orleans

Independence (Back up)

That is what it is to the best of my knowledge (in no particular order).

We turned down deals with the MAC and Sun Belt and have limited our bowls with CUSA and the MWC in order to distance ouselves from the likes of them.

I sure understand your position...having to distance yourself from others...below you!!!.....Oh, and by the way....my maid went to UofH !!

After Louisville leaves I believe Uconn will have been the only BCS team in the AAC. That gives you very little perceived distance between the AAC and CUSA. You will have been to the same number of high profile bowls as the Mac and one above the sbc and CUSA. Further the juicier programs outside If what Cincy lie in other leagues. The MWC is way above the AAC with the juggernaut blue. CUSA well positioned to take off! GMG!!!!!

Cincinnati has been to two BCS games UConn 1 so that is tied with the current MWC for three total appearances with current/future teams with the MWC having a record of 2-1 and the AAC 0-3

but that still puts the AAC 0-3 well ahead of the MAC 0-1, Sunbelt 0-0 and CUSA 0-0 for BCS appearances and unless Rutgers or Louisville wins the conference this season (something that could well happen) the AAC will have yet another BCS appearance as well

#Hit4Plus2MoralVictories

@RamonFlanigan #LearnNames

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We turned down deals with the MAC and Sun Belt and have limited our bowls with CUSA and the MWC in order to distance ouselves from the likes of them.

I sure understand your position...having to distance yourself from others...below you!!!.....Oh, and by the way....my maid went to UofH !!

My parents' housekeeper actually did graduate from U of H. True story.

• Upvote 1

Louisville is as close to a lock to get the final BCS slot this season as you can get...they are loaded.

As far as Cincy, heck it wasn't that long ago that little ole North Texas stepped up and punched them in the mouth in a bowl game. I can still remember Geno pouting about it.

Of course we all remember the tragedy that happened after that high water mark and the subsequent downward spiral over close to a decade.

Louisville is as close to a lock to get the final BCS slot this season as you can get...they are loaded.

As far as Cincy, heck it wasn't that long ago that little ole North Texas stepped up and punched them in the mouth in a bowl game. I can still remember Geno pouting about it.

Of course we all remember the tragedy that happened after that high water mark and the subsequent downward spiral over close to a decade.

And we have all time winning records vs both Louisville (10-7) and Cincy (9-7-1) thanks to our years with them in the MVC.

• Upvote 1

Your schtick is just terrible...

A G5 co-existance in the present NCAA configuration is tantamount to a Carribean cruise ship and guess what, Coogie' Guy? We're all on the same deck of this ship merely re-arranging the deck chairs from time to time. Some years the AAC will get prime seating placement on this deck and then some years it will be C-USA who'll get the same luxury, but the cold harsh facts and the reality of all this still remains....we are all on the same deck of this ship. Last year Northern Illinois received the "Captains Special Commendations Award" (if you will), since they became a BCS bowl-buster and got an Orange Bowl invite. Hope that is not taken away from our G5 cruise ship in the future. :(

Just always know that things could be worse, though, because on our our cruise ship there is always the steerage section below but that belongs exclusively to the, uh, NCAA FCS group? :hair:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen