ULM to start offering beer at football games

Harry

Fans traveling to ULM games in Monroe this season will be able to buy beer in Malone Stadium. New ULM Athletic Director Brian Wickstrom says he wants to enhance concessions by adding a $4 beer beverage option. Wickstrom says all signs point to this being a good idea.

"Obviously we hope it will generate a little bit of revenue for the program. We're not going to make a million dollars a year on beer sales, but it will bring in some more for us," said Wickstrom.

Read more: http://louisianaradionetwork.com/blogs/ULM-to-start-selling-beer-at-football-games

Rick made it seem like it was going to happen this season on the podcast before the beginning of last season.

Dropped the ball on that.

Bets on what will happen first.

Baseball or beer?

Dream scenario is they announce both 5 min ago.

I think this season was the intention until something along the lines of a new Sheriff came to Denton and decided to make his stamp on the land. Hearsay from circumstantial evidence sourced from a third cousin of a friend of an acquaintance thrice removed on that one.

Based on even less reliable information than the above statement, I'd look for baseball in 2015 or 2016. Just keep your damn dirty paws off my outfield parking spot. One of those shall be mine! MINE! Not yours! MINE!

• Upvote 1

I have to think part of the delay is getting the club seats at full capacity which I am pretty sure they are close to already. That bar in the club area is a big enticement as the deck before it was.

Toss up one of those "Best Answer" banners. We have a winner.

If you were to open up beer sales to the entire stadium you would cannabalize a large portion of your Club seat holders. More importantly you will cannabilize the large donations the potential club seat holders will have to make.

Speaking for myself I will most likely quit buying club seats once they sell beer in the main stadium.

Just curious, but what other Texas-based NCAA FBS schools sell beer at their concessions?

It would sure get more older students (21+) at the games I would think.

GMG!

We're one of the only schools in the country and in Texas for that matter, licensed to brew and sell beer at our concessions. We sell all of your usual beer but we also sell our traditional St. Arnold's, which is only brewed in Houston once a year during fall if I'm not mistaken. We also sell Cougar Brew, which is a special red beer brewed ONLY by certain UH folks. It's another tradition that has been kept on Cullen for many years.

We try not to put a small cap on how many beers can be sold (though I thiink we can only sell 2 at a time, which of course doesn't stop folks from making repeat trips) but with the number of arrests and incidents involving Coog fans over the years, I think it will come eventually.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 4

There are quite a few schools that sell beer at football games. It was a real culture shock to me to attend college events in Texas and not be able to get beer. It is in no way, shape, form, or even hint of an NCAA rule, and it is not Texas law. It is just tradition. Tradition that is slowly but surely changing. You can't tell me that a Cowboys game, a minor league baseball game, the state fair, Six Flags, and the occasional Chuck E. Cheese is any less a family environment than a college football game.

Edit: I should also note that I do concede that the lack of beer inside the stadium is probably a big factor in what has made Texas tailgating so legendary. When you can just show up, buy a few beers in the stadium, and leave, tailgating doesn't tend to be such a big deal.

Edited by oldguystudent

If club seats are the real reason holding up beer sales then that is just flat dumb. I have enjoyed many a cold one at all UH events (the good UH Hawaii) and UNLV games. Basketball and football is just so much tastier with a blue moon in hand.

GMG

Rick made it seem like it was going to happen this season on the podcast before the beginning of last season.

Dropped the ball on that.

Bets on what will happen first.

Baseball or beer?

Dream scenario is they announce both 5 min ago.

Please tell us how you know that RV "dropped the ball"? I really doubt you have any concrete knowledge as to what is going on with possible beer sales at Apogee. But, since you have said it was "RV "dropping the ball", please let us all know the source of your information and just what you actually know about the situation. many of us are in favor of beer sales at Apogee and look forward to it becoming a reality. From the folks I have chatted with the possibly indeed exists...when, don't know.

• Upvote 1

I have to think part of the delay is getting the club seats at full capacity which I am pretty sure they are close to already. That bar in the club area is a big enticement as the deck before it was.

Doubtful...very doubtful.

• Upvote 1

Does anybody have any idea what kind of net in $ this could be to the athletic dept ? Thanks

I would look for a $5.00/beer price at Apogee. I would certainly prefer the $4 price tag, but from indications it appears that it will be $5.00, but perhaps for the 16oz. variety...not the 12 oz. sold at most places for the $4 price. I guess we will all wait and see.

And, as the ULM AD stated...not a big money maker at all, just an added revenue source that perhaps helps to get additional folks into the games and staying longer.

We're one of the only schools in the country and in Texas for that matter, licensed to brew and sell beer at our concessions. We sell all of your usual beer but we also sell our traditional St. Arnold's, which is only brewed in Houston once a year during fall if I'm not mistaken. We also sell Cougar Brew, which is a special red beer brewed ONLY by certain UH folks. It's another tradition that has been kept on Cullen for many years.

We try not to put a small cap on how many beers can be sold (though I thiink we can only sell 2 at a time, which of course doesn't stop folks from making repeat trips) but with the number of arrests and incidents involving Coog fans over the years, I think it will come eventually.

I just created a category called who gives a F, and filed this there.

• Upvote 2

Who in hell would want to drink beer brewed from Houston swamp water?............ :huh:

• Upvote 1

Fans traveling to ULM games in Monroe this season will be able to buy beer in Malone Stadium. New ULM Athletic Director Brian Wickstrom says he wants to enhance concessions by adding a $4 beer beverage option. Wickstrom says all signs point to this being a good idea.

"Obviously we hope it will generate a little bit of revenue for the program. We're not going to make a million dollars a year on beer sales, but it will bring in some more for us," said Wickstrom.

Read more: http://louisianaradionetwork.com/blogs/ULM-to-start-selling-beer-at-football-games

You can already go to the drive up window of any liquor store in Monroe and buy a real frozen drink with real alcohol in it. Why don't they just put a frozen margarita/daiquiri/hurricane machine in their concession area and be done with it.

Edited by SilverEagle