North Texas has one of the Best Walk-on Programs in the Nation

AndersonUNT

What makes NT program successful is due to several factors: a less expensive university than most, a coach that rewards walk ons and what some don't want to admit less than great overall recruiting, Add until now a squad that has been significantly under the allowed ship numbers and it has been a great place for walk-ons.

I certainly care about it.....in our recent past Casey Fitzgerald, Nathan Tune, Aaron Fortenberry, Ivan Delgado, Troy Kokjohn and Drew Miller among many others all were walkons. A walk on program is important for every team.

All of those excelled and certainly earned their scholarships. A walk on program is important to every team, but alas the better the team recruits the less important it is. Every team relies on walk-ons for numbers and occasionally they are good enough to earn a ship. Awarding 15 walk-ons' ships in three year is not necessarily a good thing. It may be demonstrating a good walk-on program, but it is also highlighting that your primary recruiting is not getting the job done.

Chris Hurd for example walked on and contributed to a good team as would most of those listed plus McCoy, Tanner Smith, the wr Smith, and others. However, I doubt with greater competition from the scholarship athletes that most would have seen near the playing time they have got or will get.

Walk-ons generally have desire and dedication that serves them well, but most at more established programs just do not get the same opportunity as at NT. I hope NT always as a solid walk-on program but I would be a lot more comfortable with a team that awarded a couple of ships a year not five.

With all the pressure to pay players, will walk on programs soon be done away with altogether?

Given all the health risks associated with the sport, the sacrifice a walk on player makes for, the love of the game, hope to earn a scholarship, and/or school spirit is something that is very deserving of recognition.

I'm proud our coaching staff agrees and makes that agreement so public.

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?!?!?

....You guys crack me up! So much negativity on this board.

Watch us beat everybody this year & you'll be the first to jump on this MEAN GREEN TRAIN! haha

I'm EXTREMELY OPTIMISTIC about our walk-on program. Just think about it. We have so much high school talent around here to recruit from!

Also, have you seen the guys lifting weights in the UNT rec center??? Those guys are huge!!!! I would go as far to say that we could field a team with ONLY walk-ons here at North Texas. I hope McCarney continues to beef up the walk-on program. Some of our greatest players have been walk-ons and I'm excited about the season starting this year!

ONLY 11 DAYS!!!!

NOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 3

Or we have scholarshiped athletes that are easy to outperform.

Or there is an appropriate time to make this comment...now is not one of them because you,Dr. Suess and the usual cast of characters chose to spit on a nice story.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Or there is an appropriate time to make this comment...now is not one of them because you,Dr. Suess and the usual cast of characters chose to spit on a nice story.

Oh. Ok. Plz let me know the appropriate time to discuss wether or not North Texas actually has one of the best walkon programs in the nation. I guess I was confused.

• Upvote 2

Who the f cares about our walk on program, all I care about is winning games... So far Mac hasn't been able o do that

Seems an odd comment from someone who was pretty darn close to several walk-on athletes as recently as last season. Hope those guys are not reading this board. ha! :thumbsd::judge:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Oh. Ok. Plz let me know the appropriate time to discuss wether or not North Texas actually has one of the best walkon programs in the nation. I guess I was confused.

Don't you know that the appropriate time is NEVER!!!!!!!

Just keep on loving those 4 win seasons, by golly!

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2