The paradox of Brock Berglund

Harry

I just don't get it. Berglund is a great athlete with a quick release, gun arm and wheels. He's absolutely picture perfect for what Mac and Chico wants. I understand he lost reps in the spring. But not a mention of him this Fall....?

From everything I've read he seems like a very good kid, respectful to his coaches and teammates...hard worker...motivated... In the spring game he got limited reps but showed remarkable speed and arm strength...

And yet from Vito's latest report he is running third team and splitting time with a true freshman?

Perhaps he is not a great practice player and fares better in the games?

I just am trying to comprehend why this guy isn't moving up the depth chart faster especially when the more senior guys have struggled. This is one of the bigger head scratcher personnel things I can remember since following this program...

I just don't get it. Berglund is a great athlete with a quick release, gun arm and wheels. He's absolutely picture perfect for what Mac and Chico wants. I understand he lost reps in the spring. But not a mention of him this Fall....?

From everything I've read he seems like a very good kid, respectful to his coaches and teammates...hard worker...motivated... In the spring game he got limited reps but showed remarkable speed and arm strength...

And yet from Vito's latest report he is running third team and splitting time with a true freshman?

Perhaps he is not a great practice player and fares better in the games?

I just am trying to comprehend why this guy isn't moving up the depth chart faster especially when the more senior guys have struggled. This is one of the bigger head scratcher personnel things I can remember since following this program...

Well, this is going to make it harder to watch passes being thrown at the feet of receivers behind the line of scrimmage.

• Upvote 2

I have no idea if this is the case or not with Brock and am speaking entirely in generalizations here, but sometimes a kid can have all the physical gifts in the world, yet simply can't adapt to game speed at the next level.

This was basically his job to lose, and he not only lost it, but ended up behind AM, who simply doesn't have a BCS arm (Riley light).

The only people who know the answers are BB and the coaching staff, and neither are going to tell us.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You seem to be pretty critical of Chico. I think your ire is just directed one level too low on the coaching hierarchy.

That is not what I hear or see and I pay attention. But even though Mac was saddled with Canales I will blame Coach Mac if this continues through this season and we don't see a change at OC. I am ticked off enough that a change was not made this year.

• Upvote 1

I think this is more a credit to DT and the good and bad of Coach Mac. It is obvious that Coach does not play guys when they make mistakes. To NT03's point Jimmerson was terrible on pass protection. In one of the Vito videos this year Mac mentioned that Jimmerson was doing a lot better in pass protection this year. So basically the reason we didn't see Jimmerson more was because he had a more glaring weakness in his game.

Same goes for DT, he isn't super accurate but he generally doesn't lose games for you. Think Trent Dilfer with the Ravens when they won the Super Bowl. Nothing flashy, midling QB. But didn't blow games. UNT90 like to mention this all the time about the WKU game last year. DT made a huge mistake and they didn't give him another chance to lose it. Unfortunately for us, the defense couldn't win it.

Coach Mac is as conservative as Dickey. He hates mistakes and doesn't want the possibility of Jimmerson, or BB coming in making two or three bad plays early put him down by 21 because the game will be mostly over at that point. He prefers to lose slowly if he loses.

So while we would mostly all prefer to see they guy capable of making something happen, they'll only get their chance when they are able to not make major mistakes.

It's basically how Mac took a 2 win team to 5 in his first year. He just made us more disciplined. He ain't going to change.

From what I saw in the spring game, BB was faster, had a better arm, and more skills than DT but he blew the one time he had a wide open guy on a long pass, and had a lot of quick 3 and outs. SO while it was tantalizing, it was less effective than DT. Until that changes, the risk is too much for Mac too take.

Edited by MeanGreenHoops
  • Upvote 6

Could coaching staff be pulling a sneak attack with Brock? Showing their poker face?

How much of a difference would that really make?

Let's say that's what they're doing...

You roll BB out against Idaho and they're the only team of the season surprised by it. Everyone after that knows BB is the QB and they have their allotted week to prepare for him.

I think it's odd that Mac and Co. have been so wishy-washy and vague about the QB position, but I don't think they're playing poker here - I think they're trying to play football.

At least I hope that's what they're trying to play...

• Upvote 1

I appreciate the perspective of MeanGreenHoops on this.

Rather than focusing on "how are the coaches wrong," I'd rather focus on, "what did DT do right?"

Is it possible that DT shows greater consistency on a day to day basis compared with the others? Because we're not able to be around or observe the team daily, like they are, we don't have that element to include in our personal evaluation.

After watching the team leadership difficulties of the past season's hoops squad, count me as one who values a demonstration of consistent daily effort in those who are leading our teams.

• Upvote 4

That is not what I hear or see and I pay attention. But even though Mac was saddled with Canales I will blame Coach Mac if this continues through this season and we don't see a change at OC. I am ticked off enough that a change was not made this year.

The OC can only do as much as the head coach lets him. I can't imagine that Chico has full autonomy in running the offense and this is the system he came with. For example, there are not that many teams with 9 tight ends. Mac is a defense guy who likes the ground game. To me, he is simply ultra conservative in his approach to the offense. You would think the time at USF and especially Florida would have had some effect on that. But King, and I am just asking, but you were never a big fan of Chico even during his first year here, right?

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 2

I've seen Canales when he had the reins at the end of the Todd Dodge "take a huge steaming dump on NT football era". Canales was inovative, exciting and worth watching. Lock the Gate had us all pumped.

Are you honestly telling me that the same man is now purposely euthanizing our offense and rolling out that mess we saw last year? I pay attention too, and I aint buying it.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 3

How much of a difference would that really make?

Let's say that's what they're doing...

You roll BB out against Idaho and they're the only team of the season surprised by it. Everyone after that knows BB is the QB and they have their allotted week to prepare for him.

I think it's odd that Mac and Co. have been so wishy-washy and vague about the QB position, but I don't think they're playing poker here - I think they're trying to play football.

At least I hope that's what they're trying to play...

Yea, and if you don't open up the offense when you roll BB out to take advantage of his ability, what difference does it make? No qb is going to look good using the present play book.

• Upvote 1

I've seen Canales when he had the reins at the end of the Todd Dodge "take a huge steaming dump on NT football era". Canales was inovative, exciting and worth watching. Lock the Gate had us all pumped.

Are you honestly telling me that the same man is now purposely euthanizing our offense and rolling out that mess we saw last year? I pay attention too, and I aint buying it.

Absolutely, Try reading his history before he got here.

Keep in mind the firing a head coach effect. Most teams have big rebound in these cases.

This is the same ass clown that got on the radio after the Kansas game that year and literally cried then talked about himself as the third person as coach Canales. He said Coach Canales will be a head coach some where next year, problem was no one had ever wanted him. Ever wonder why?

Don't get too caught up in the plays, I see an offense that is inconsistent and can not execute from play to play. Last year I saw the same offense go in to Kansas and execute but then have problems with Texas Southern and be completely inept against Troy in the red zone. We did not need to be creative in the Troy game we just needed proper execution, it was not Troy that broke that up.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3