North Texas full squad going into C-USA debut By STEPHEN HAWKINS (AP S

Harry

DENTON, Texas (AP) -- When Dan McCarney looks around the North Texas practice field, the coach is finally seeing what most NCAA Division I programs take for granted.

For the first time in McCarney's three seasons, the Mean Green have 85 scholarship players.

''More guys that look like Division I football players,'' McCarney said. ''It's taken quite some time to replenish this roster to get it to where we can be competitive.''

That translates to players, even the 16 returning starters, having to work harder for jobs.

''Where there's been no competition going on in many positions the first two years that I've been here,'' the coach said. ''There were bodies there, but I'm talking about real competition, Division I competition, guys that have a chance to play winning football at this level.''

That comes at a good time with North Texas stepping up to Conference USA after the past 12 seasons in the Sun Belt. The Mean Green won Sun Belt titles and went to bowl games from 2001-04, but won only 13 games the next six years.

McCarney is 9-15 so far. His goal in his third season?

Read more: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/north-texas-full-squad-going-223251562--ncaaf.html

That is a sobering stat - 13 wins the next 6 years. Wow!

I feel good about this season because coach is methodical and takes the long view. That is tough for us fans but it is the way to build some depth, competition and consistency. His ISU teams were never flashy but they won and pulled some upsets. I believe that is going to happen here and we will see marked improvement this year. With a right mindset, solid skillset and understanding of a system you can look good - real good. I don't expect us to go in a blow out Georgia, but I do anticipate us lining up against Rice, Tulsa, Ball State, La Tech and Ohio and play a solid competitive game with a chance to win. I truly look for good outings and "w's" against UTEP, UTSA and Idaho.

Time to deliver.

GMG

• Upvote 2

That is a sobering stat - 13 wins the next 6 years. Wow!

I feel good about this season because coach is methodical and takes the long view. That is tough for us fans but it is the way to build some depth, competition and consistency. His ISU teams were never flashy but they won and pulled some upsets. I believe that is going to happen here and we will see marked improvement this year. With a right mindset, solid skillset and understanding of a system you can look good - real good. I don't expect us to go in a blow out Georgia, but I do anticipate us lining up against Rice, Tulsa, Ball State, La Tech and Ohio and play a solid competitive game with a chance to win. I truly look for good outings and "w's" against UTEP, UTSA and Idaho.

Time to deliver.

GMG

and "w's" against UTEP, UTSA and Idaho

Really...this is your expectations? You gotta shoot a little higher, don't you think...I mean, 85 scholarships, looks like a real 1A team, Mac's 3rd year !!!

Edited by houstonmeangreen
  • Upvote 1

Wins again the vandals miners and birds make us 3-0.

Go 3-3 against la tech, ohio, ball state, rice, middle, southern miss

Upset Tulsa

Competitive against Georgia

I see two long shot wins. I see 500 against teams we are equal to (I would feel better if we got MAC teams other that the bobcats and cardinals). Southern Miss should be a win but I can't put them into the undefeated category because it is on the road and SMISS pride is real.

I see 6 wins minimum 7 or 8 if the ball bounces our way. I don't think those are low expectations especially since we are coming off 4 wins last year playing in a new league.

GMG