Soccer Routs Alumni - With a Big Surprise!

UNTDude

Great Night out at the Mean Green Soccer Complex....weather was beautiful and it was great to get a first peek at this years soccer team. Also, great to see the alumni out there - these girls are the foundation of traditionally UNT's most successful athletic program.

First the game, the Mean Green routed the alumni (lost count of goals)....but it could have been 8-9 to 0. The starters were dialed in and both offensively and defensively. Needless to say this is a night to honor our alumni, most of whom are starting their careers with soccer in their rearview mirrors - but their were many areas of excitement.

* The starting attacked looked outstanding (Freshman Rachel Holden looks like the "real deal" - with a hat trick). Also, Sophomore Amber Haggerty may have also scored a hat trick. The ball movement and passing really looked good.

* Defense didn't give up a goal

* Midfield controlled the game

Other notes....

* GK - Jackie Kerestine - did not play due to injury (team will need Jackie against their tough schedule) and Soph. Haley Riley kept a clean sheet (although not too much pressure).

THE BIG SURPRISE......

Hedlund signed senior transfer Vanessa Ibewuike. Vanessa signed out of high school with Purdue where she was named to the Big Ten All-Freshman team. In 2011 she transferred to Texas where she ranked 3rd on the team in scoring. Sat out 2012 with an injury. I do know that SMU (where her ex-Texas coach Chris Petrucelli is now coaching) was in consideration for Vanessa. I've known for a while that there was interest in Vanessa, but didn't realize we landed her till I saw her on the field.

This is just another example of how well Hedlund has developed this program. Link: http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/w-soccer/mtt/vanessa_ibewuike_860068.html

Haggerty, Holden & Ibewuike should be a handful up top!

GMG

Edited by UNTDude
  • Upvote 3

UNT...am sure you know (and probably witnessed) that the alums have been known to beat the varsity, right? Has happened and not too long ago as I recall.

Last night the varsity looked really ready for the season. Seemed to be in game day playing shape. Saw some nice work up front, but would liked to have seen the defense under a bit more pressure. Really good to see Ibewuike wearing Mean Green Green. Very nice surprise. Congrats toCoach Hedlund. Should be a nice addition to the squad.

Great weather for the game and as a perspective...much better crowd in comparison to the just ended Kickoff-Cookout. Help to end my Mean Green Day (poster distribution in the morning, Kick-off Cookout in the late afternoon, then the evening with the soccer ladies). Mean Green greatness and fun!

• Upvote 1

Harry...we needed that shot in a UT uniform, why? Ha! Should have taken one of her playing in the alumni game Saturday and posted it of here in Mean Green green! NO ONE looks good in the burnt orange "stuff"!

• Upvote 1

Hedlund video where he talks about recruiting Rachel Holden and possibly having the most potent offense in school history.

Link:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10101824681505670&set=vb.130759533603911&type=2&theater

Good stuff here...should be a ton of fun to watch!

Good to hear some of the younger players look poised to step up.

The CUSA tournament is in Houston this year, so hopefully that means a decent NT crowd. Colorado College, the sort of oddball in the conference looks to have a good team, so avoiding them would be helpful. On a side note, I really hope the NT athletic department manages to win a bid for the soccer tournament again sometime soon so the team (which has had a growing following for the last few years) can play in front of their home crowd.

• Upvote 1