A couple of recent posts have gotten me thinking about a hat design I'd love to see, or maybe can be shown where to find it. It's a design I've been seeking for a while so if anyone's seen something like it, please let me know! So, I thought I'd open up a discussion about UNT hats you've seen/bought/would like to see as well.

What I would like is, a "trucker-style" hat that's black on the front (or kelly green) and white mesh in the back. Now keep in mind, I don't want the "dad hat" type of design with the foam front that's all high and looks like my grandfather's cap that he wore the last time I was in East Texas to visit him. No, I want that normal form-fitting "average hat stuff" that you see all the time. I would also like to see the white stitching on the front of the cap and on the bill.

As for the logo, I'd like to see either the current eagle, or the "Mean Green" script across the front. Another cool idea would be to kick it old school with the "Flying Worm." I think that'd be a pretty freakin' sweet hat that would sell well. Something like the shirt logo that's in my avatar would be cool, too.

What do you guys think?

-- The Franchise

Edited by TheFranchise

I got a pretty sweet hat at barefoot a few weeks ago. It was a trucker style with black mesh In back.

I don't wear hats much anymore , but it was too sweet to pass up

That is probably the hat I wanted and my dome was just too big. Dang my fat head! Hopefully, the new bookstore will be able to accommodate my girthy head...

This company here, Zephyr, http://www.zhats.com/ is very progressive and make hats for several different companies. Someone might want to give them a shout out and see if they would consider doing some new designs for NT.

Several years ago I made one phone call to them to ask why they didn't include a North Texas version in their X-Line design and within three days the owner of the company called me to ask for my email and a contact number I might have for someone in Denton. Within a week he sent me three digital mock ups wanting to know my opinion, and one of them included the Alumni Association's interlinked NT design. A week after that he called me back and said the Alumni Association hat was refused by North Texas but that the other two were a go. One of those was the hat with the angry eagle on it with teeth,....leading to my usual explanation to people who ask me "What is a Mean Green?"... I say...An Eagle with TEETH!

If you'll click on the "SHOP" drop down button you'll see the different outlets of hats they make for, and as usual, now I only see one version for NT they did for HatMonster.com. http://www.hatmonster.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=800 It's not a hat I would want but it's something.

Give them a call or shoot an email. They may still be as receptive as before. I would do it but I'm not doing someone else's job for them anymore. It's somoene else's turn.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Here is another brand handled by Lidz. The company is Top Of the World out of Oklahoma. Silver and I got them to apply for their first license for NT. But the only two hats I see they make for us now are these two versions, which I'm not fond of but you may be?

http://www.lids.com/Top-of-the-World/Team_North-Texas-Mean-Green

TOW's website: http://www.towcaps.com/#/HOME-01-00/

Again, they too were very receptive to requests. I'd suggest giving them a call to make a version for North Texas of a particular design you may like that they have done for other schools.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I don't know how you do "trucker-style" without the high front. It's kind of part of the package.

Mean Green 93-98, there's a design shown in this link that describes what I'm looking for. I've seen it described as "trucker" look on other pages just because of the mesh in the back. I've seen "trucker with high front" and "trucker with form-fitting front" on other sites that I've looked at. I could be wrong, though.

But on that link if you look at the flash that plays, it's the second scroll to the right that shows a Texas hat on the left side with a caption that says "The Definition of TEAM SPIRIT."

That's the look I'm talking about.

I'm going to reach out to those guys!

Thanks, FFR!

-- The Franchise

Though not a trucker style, just wanted to mention again for any who missed it before that 50Fifty has a UNT hat. So if you know somebody who likes that kind if thing as well, be sure to let them know. It was available on their website when I checked.

My favorite has always been Twins Enterprise (now 47 Brand) easy fitted hats. Unfortunately the only one they have now is the standard green (one on the left, but brighter) vs. up to 20 designs for other schools. There's a couple Nike hats on the MGG site that look decent.

YyCIfUH.jpg

Edited by ColoradoEagle

It is about time that I purchase a new hat and last time did not hesitate to pay a premium price. Would love to get one of those white hat with green lettering, but they dirty easily. Do they make durable white hats that can be washed without ruining them? I will pay the price if they do. Got to have white hat with Texas heat.

In reference to the Alumni Association logo not being approved by UNT for the use on hats ( and I will add here that I am only speculating but this has come up several times and we have been able to fix it through the Alumni Assoc.) it may have been because the university cannot approve it for use as they do not "own" that logo. The Alumni Association does. The Alumni Association is a 501©(3), so a separate organization entirely from the university itself. Many many alumni associations operate as such for some very good reasons that are beneficial to both the alumni associations and their respective universities.

The use of the Alumni logo...the interlocking NT with the star in the center...is the property of the Alumni Assoc. As such the university cannot approve its use in these situations. Sadly, that logo is not part of the current UNT branding program...hence it has not been approved for use in athletic situations. This is something we would definitely like to see resolved in any future branding discussions and with the new support agreement set to be signed at the UNT Pavilion before the Idaho game, I get the feeling that it will be resolved sometime in the not so distant future.

I am very excited about the new era of cooperation and joint efforts being made these days between the university and the alumni association.

Anyway...carry on...some good hat talk here...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

In reference to the Alumni Association logo not being approved by UNT for the use on hats ( and I will add here that I am only speculating but this has come up several times and we have been able to fix it through the Alumni Assoc.) it may have been because the university cannot approve it for use as they do not "own" that logo. The Alumni Association does. The Alumni Association is a 501©(3), so a separate organization entirely from the university itself. Many many alumni associations operate as such for some very good reasons that are beneficial to both the alumni associations and their respective universities.

The use of the Alumni logo...the interlocking NT with the star in the center...is the property of the Alumni Assoc. As such the university cannot approve its use in these situations. Sadly, that logo is not part of the current UNT branding program...hence it has not been approved for use in athletic situations. This is something we would definitely like to see resolved in any future branding discussions and with the new support agreement set to be signed at the UNT Pavilion before the Idaho game, I get the feeling that it will be resolved sometime in the not so distant future.

I am very excited about the new era of cooperation and joint efforts being made these days between the university and the alumni association.

Anyway...carry on...some good hat talk here...

:huh: Why do I feel like I just read the latest press release about North and South Korea.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Isn't it enough punishment that they wore it in public?

Indeed...plus one for you, Sir! But, we may just be called "old guys" and out of touch with the cool styles of the day.

Just yesterday as we were leaving for a Friday Night Date Nite Dinner, my wife walks out with a shirt...oops...blouse...tucked into the front of her slacks with the back part of the tail hanging out. Told her she missed something....well...to my surprise, she tells me this is the new look and she saw it demonstrated on the Today Show that very morning. You know, Silver, very hard for "pluggers" to keep up with these latest styles.

:huh: Why do I feel like I just read the latest press release about North and South Korea.

Well, maybe because you are still looking at things as if they were the same they were 5-10-20 years ago? At that time your analogy was pretty darn good in many cases, but no longer. That seems to be another challenge we have these days...getting folks to open their eyes and look for the good as much as they want to see the bad from the past still hanging around. Those like Silver and I (and many others on this board) who have been around for more than a few years have a certain "perspective" on UNT that is really quite different from the reality of today. However, some are just not willing enough to open their eyes and see the positive steps that have been taken to create a whole new culture at UNT. It will take more time to "win" the "old guys" over, but the younger crowd have no clue about the challenges of the past with UNT and do not see the past in the same light as some continue to want to do.

Is it a work in progress? You bet your belly button it is, but it is progress...and progress in many many areas across campus. If you only focus on Athletics you miss so much of that progress, but if that's your bag...great. But, try to open up a bit and take a closer look with un-biased eyes if you (the royal "you" here...not specifically meaning Silver) can. You might be pretty darn surprised at what you find...and in a very pleasant way.

• Upvote 2

My favorite has always been Twins Enterprise (now 47 Brand) easy fitted hats. Unfortunately the only one they have now is the standard green (one on the left, but brighter) vs. up to 20 designs for other schools. There's a couple Nike hats on the MGG site that look decent.

YyCIfUH.jpg

These have always been my favorite kind of UNT hats and I'm a mesh hat kind of guy. Just can never find that perfect UNT hat.

Any hat will do as long as it's bent correctly and the tags are removed. The flat bill is the worst douche style in a long time. People wearing it need to be flogged.

I (try not to) don't bend my hats. I try to stay flat. It isn't douche, it's just don't want to look red neck or something worse.

Edited by gksmith
  • Downvote 1