Anybody seen this shirt in Denton...you're going to now!

Harry

The current branding debuted in April of '03, and unless Im completely forgetting when it was I thought those shirts were handed out after, but again, I may be wrong?

And I agree this could be done several ways under the table if the university wants to claim licensed property. I would be surprised if the worm is protected. If it is it was done to simply squash efforts of others adding to our marks in order to protect the current ones. And if that is the case then they are admitting the worm is at least equal to if not more popular as the current marks.

Rick

No, current university branding debuted last year, "Green Light To Greatness" and everything else that followed. I should know, I was in the production meetings for its unveiling at the Murchison and was the one live streaming it.

And for those thinking Deborah Leliaert and co. in URCM are hard to deal with... well, yeah. They might just be if you approach them in that attitude. They do have to protect their brand after all. But. They're not unapproachable.

• Upvote 1

Btw, this shirt has already been mass produced before when the RHA department was allowed to have several thousand of them printed up and handed out for free prior to a homecoming game back in....someone help me out here....'05,...'06,..'07?

Here is mine which I got signed by the man himself that same weekend.

DV375WX.jpg

So any excuse given as to why it can't happen again is just that,...an excuse.

Rick

The shirt at the beginning of this thread, would be the version that I would prefer, The green is more vibrant and the worm on it is white instead of the dark green on the give aways. Back when the "stylized Eagle" was created, the color scheme was lime or candy apple green and white.

Edited by SilverEagle

No, current university branding debuted last year, "Green Light To Greatness" and everything else that followed. I should know, I was in the production meetings for its unveiling at the Murchison and was the one live streaming it.

And for those thinking Deborah Leliaert and co. in URCM are hard to deal with... well, yeah. They might just be if you approach them in that attitude. They do have to protect their brand after all. But. They're not unapproachable.

The current word marks for athletics that included the SOW and all that and the $200,000 price tag to pay for them was in April of 2003.

The Green Light To Greatness crap isn't what we are referring to.

An no one has suggested approaching the URCM dept with an attitude, just approach with questions to be asked. The alumni were shut out in '02-'03 in regards to our athletic branding. I still have a box full of the FOI papers showing emails discussing the entire process. It would be nice to finally get questions asked about why the overwhelming majority of our fanbase and supportive alumni can't have it their way as to what looks best on a helmet, or why the university has such a problem with an interlinked NT,...or an NT of any kind when there is precedent in the past with it and the fact that even the student newspaper still uses it today?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

First of all, it's not their brand. It's the University's brand. And as Alumni of this University, we are part of that. And second of all, I understand completely how to approach someone about a proposal. What I would object to would be if their response towards me, or anyone else making the request, was as if I/they were a bunch of 7 year olds begging for a pony.

I have a very low tolerance for even the perception that I am being "handled" or that someone is talking down to me.

April 2005 was the new branding. Not sure when those shirts were handed out.

Thank you, '05.

And if anyone would like to read through the process that took place to come to our current word marks, including the SOW, and including the agreement we entered upon with Applied Behavioral Sciences Marketing L.L.C., here is the pile of papers from the FOI that was acquired. I'd be happy let anyone read through it.

Bu1qh8F.jpg

BTW, I had to change the URL to the photo of my Fyin' Worm shirt above, so if anyone quoted that post the shirt image is gone and you'll have to re-copy and past it if you want to use it again in a post.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

And if anyone would like to read through the process that took place to come to our current word marks, including the SOW, and including the agreement we entered upon with Applied Behavioral Sciences Marketing L.L.C., here is the pile of papers from the FOI that was acquired. I'd be happy let anyone read through it.

How about a synopsis?

How about a synopsis?

Heck I'll have to skim over it again to give a better report of it, but they went with an outside agency for one part of it that seems like there was a conflict interest with..the one I posted above. We had three or four art/graphic students and one instructor come up with the designs and there was very little input from athletic supportive individuals involved. Discussions of this and criticism here on gmg.com was being monitored as well, and that's in one of the emails too if I remember correctly. The whole thing was done with very little athletic department input as well other than with RV being there. And to his credit, he is the only reason why we don't have "UNT" on our helmets today. The entire process cost the university $200,000 and it seems it came with a motto, can't remember what it was, then we got "Discover the Power of Ideas", then we get "Green Light To Greatness" last year.

Rick

Sounds like the athletic department didn't treat it as a priority and bother to have anyone show up/submit ideas. Happens all the time on projects where someone who should be a primary stakeholder ends up not caring until it's too late.

This scenario plays out every day in the business world.

Get thee about one block south of Sweetwater to a certain trophy store. Those guys will produce anything.

Ha! That's funny. Rick does a lot of work for the University...I seriously doubt he would risk that relationship to sell maybe 50-100 t-shirts. Although, I would be a buyer!

Sounds like the athletic department didn't treat it as a priority and bother to have anyone show up/submit ideas. Happens all the time on projects where someone who should be a primary stakeholder ends up not caring until it's too late.

Your ears need checking if ,this is what it sounds like to you! I know a great guy that can fit you with hearing aids if you would like a referral.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Back to a couple of earlier comments, it seems like this should be simple enough if someone calls Deborah Lelaiert and checks about the Flying Worm. If there's nothing official on it, you could always go ahead and make the shirts with just that, and no NT or North Texas or Mean Green or anything. I'm always a fan of finding loopholes, because if you can skip past approval and committees and signatures and just jump in and do the work yourself, then you got what you wanted and have mostly yourself to thank for it.

Then if all goes well and it's open season for the Worm, pick how you want to go with it and get a bunch of extras...do you need a permit to sell a few shirts tailgating? Either way whoever has the shirts, and hopefully a permit if one is required, can have them at their tailgating spot so everybody who wants one can be directed there. Charge 10 bucks and have the extra money go towards making another batch of shirts for the next game. If demand stays steady, pay back everybody who put in a few bucks to get it rolling and/or use the profits to benefit GMG.com or the Mean Green Club or something. Actually if it benefitted the MGC you'd probably have an easier time being allowed to sell them.

I think the back-and-forth is making this seem a lot more complicated than it needs to be. If you want NT or North Texas or Mean Green, you have to wait for approval. But if the Worm isn't an official logo, you can do what you want, so just skip all the extras that would require months or years or forever to get approved and just get it done. Hell, I won't even be there but if you can ship them cheap I'll buy a couple as well. So is somebody going to call to find out or do you want me to? Then if nobody has a better idea Walker can get it up and running online, we can pitch in a few bucks each and get a batch made and go from there.

They look like real jerseys in the photo. I am going to get one of those dang things when I get paid. Just hope they are not $90.00 like some other Nike jerseys.

They're the real deal. Just looked at them. May have to buy one. They're like the official Nike "replica" jerseys

Also really sexy. I don't have $90 though. And I'm wearing my 2006 one to the Idaho game. Gonna buy one after that, though.

Edited by meangreener