Anybody seen this shirt in Denton...you're going to now!

Harry

Alright, so if we'd all buy it, then why don't we?

Harry, et al:

I propose we crowd fund these shirts via Crowdtilt and have them printed locally by either Barefoot Apparel or Pan Ector Screenprinting.

Hear me out.

We could run a collection two ways; either just for the shirts everyone pays for -or- for a large order of shirts beyond the initial demand to provide a fundraising opportunity for GMG.com. I dunno, help out with the server costs or something.

Barefoot will certainly be the cheaper option with their supposed claim of getting certain costs down to $3.99/shirt. Pan Ector however would be greater in my opinion though as they use high-quality Next Level Apparel shirts, are all UNT grads, and if you've been to any Denton bars or festivals as of late, are the ones making all those cool shirts you want. Having worked with Pan Ector before, I can tell you that a run of 100 shirts with one color ink used on a color shirt would come to $5.59/shirt.

-----

Now how to finance.

I've participated in Crowdtilt stuff before on Reddit to fund a special /r/CFB brick for Baylor's new stadium and it works really simply, in a manner much akin to Kickstarter. Essentially, you set a minimum and target amount to fund and once that goal is met or exceeded, those who pitched will then have their cards charged at the end of the pre-determined time period. If the campaign fails, then no one is charged anything.

-----

So, what would ya'll think?

We could potentially do a campaign starting this weekend through maybe next Friday. And then go after an under-a-week rush order from either company and have the shirts in before the 31st.

• Upvote 1

Why on the earth would UNT or the AD not allow this shirt to be marketed? Can you imagine Apogee glowing in that killer green on game day? Awesome.

JRock....you already know the answer to your question. It is in no way up to the AD and the branding folks who CONTROL this stuff at UNT would never allow it...it is not an approved UNT logo. You already know the answer. We do need to chat! Ha!

I love that shirt and would buy it in a heartbeat. Highly doubtful we will see it unless some enterprising underground entrepreneur found a way.....just sayin......

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Needs to be lime green sir...

The color is pretty close to the original color from that era. I don't know if anyone has anything from that era that has retained the original shade Time and any level of exposure to light has faded most of them....at least the ones I've seen lately. The light green in the original version of the NT battle flag was supposed to represent the color from that era.

Here's a player photo from that era.

. 1024.jpg?md=1361156156000

Anyway, during that era, the color was often referred to as "lime green" or "candy apple green". Hayden Fry was once asked what shade of green it was and, true to his promotional nature, he said it was "Mean Green".

I really hope that someone produces this shirt, it's as close as anyone can come to the original color, and it would sell like hot cakes. One final suggestion. If anyone is going to produce the image, the "flying worm" needs to be sitting on top of the words "Mean Green" in bold block letters......like it was during that era.

If anyone produces these, I'm on board for at least four adult shirts, and two toddler sized shirts.

Also, don't expect ANY HELP from the athletic department or the administration with this project. In fact, they will be more of a hindrance than anything else. Kind of like getting the cooperation of the alumni association in producing anything with the NT-star on it......... B)

Edited by SilverEagle

JRock....you already know the answer to your question. It is in no way up to the AD and the branding folks who CONTROL this stuff at UNT would never allow it...it is not an approved UNT logo. You already know the answer. We do need to chat! Ha!

I love that shirt and would buy it in a heartbeat. Highly doubtful we will see it unless some enterprising underground entrepreneur found a way.....just sayin......

Damn Mark! Are you really being critical of the administration and/or "the powers that be?" :o Welcome back (if just for a few minutes) to the revolution........ B)

Edited by SilverEagle

Which is just asinine. If you don't want my money, that's your prerogative.

Does the AD really think this thing won't fly off the shelves?

There's no reason that I shouldn't be able to go the Apogee game store and get a flying worm hat, shirt and sticker.

But this is UNT so I'm screwed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There's no reason that I shouldn't be able to go the Apogee game store and get a flying worm hat, shirt and sticker.

Pretty good assessment.... B)

Since we have finished so high up in CLC's sales rankings, I wonder if at some point we if can get brandings, logos, etc, that catch the imagination of the actual consumer....not just the UNT branding committeees who seem to think every branding cycle that they have a winnner on their hands but one that doesn't sell? The U.S goverment of late seems to define "winner" the same way.

I think that the CLC and UNT seem to mostly have a detente sort of relationship at best (if there's a relationship at all), but still....we need those who can fix all this rather than just more of the same ol status quo'. Ol' Mr. Status Quo' is UNT's worst enemey--most always has been it seems. Talk is cheap and we can have another 100 GMG.com threads on this very subject but....... who can fix all this? Really.....who? Who on our campus is in charge of this?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Since the flying worm is not part of the approved athletic logos, it really gets into a gray area as to whether someone could produce it....legally, I guess that since the university does not recognize it as an official logo, someone could market it as an unofficial UNT shirt. Those that buy it could care less if it is official or unofficial.

• Upvote 2

Since the flying worm is not part of the approved athletic logos, it really gets into a gray area as to whether someone could produce it....legally, I guess that since the university does not recognize it as an official logo, someone could market it as an unofficial UNT shirt. Those that buy it could care less if it is official or unofficial.

I'm kind of torn on my opinion on this. I think the logo is fine, not really my thing but it is neat as a nostalgia item. What I don't want to see is 50 different green shades in the stadium and people going - WTF is that? and being confused as to our brand.

Bottom line for me though is fans in the stands is 100% the goal. If you want to print a some Justin Beber MC hammer pants with the worm in the crotch area - go for it. But I want to see your happy azz in the stands on gameday.

• Upvote 3

Something else that the AD "has no control over."

Excuse after excuse after excuse. Control over the good hires, no control over the bad hires, etc...

Same old song and dance.

RV must be the least powerful AD in the history of ADs.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

Someone should also produce the classaic battle flag with the NT-star and/or the Flying worm in the place of the single star........... B)

• Upvote 2

I am more concerned with why you are helping out stuff for Baylor.

See here kind sir.

What started out as a troll attempt ended up being a really great /r/CFB deal.

We originally wanted it to read:

"...and 2 bears came out

of the woods and mauled

42 youths."

2 Kings 2:24

/r/CFB

Obviously, the Baylor folks didn't really appreciate that one, so we ended up with this:

"Like a bear

I will attack

and rip them

asunder!"

Hosea 13:8

/r/CFB

I have my own special comedy brick planned on behalf of /r/CFB for our Alumni Pavilion.

Shocking defense of the AD here.

If the Mean Green Nation demands an answer concerning the production of a Flyin' Worm T Shirt for this opening game,... and towards such issues as to why we can't have an "NT" anywhere on a uniform then questions need to be directed to this woman.

M53qLQm.jpg

http://urcm.unt.edu/directory

Here is her email...deborah.leliaert@unt.edu

Here is her office' number...940.565.4741

She's a straight shooter and has been great at responding to questions in the past.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

Btw, this shirt has already been mass produced before when the RHA department was allowed to have several thousand of them printed up and handed out for free prior to a homecoming game back in....someone help me out here....'05,...'06,..'07?

Here is mine which I got signed by the man himself that same weekend.

w4JPQUL.jpg

So any excuse given as to why it can't happen again is just that,...an excuse.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3

RHA gave those shirts away (back in 2002?) versus some retailer selling them though. That's the difference Rick. RHA didn't make any profit plus departments of the university have a lot more breathing room to create their own versions of apparel versus a retailer that sells NT apparel.

I'd be curious to see if the "Flying Worm" is even trade marked by the university which allows you huge (like you can drive a tractor trailer huge) latitudes on selling merchandise using that logo. So long as you don't have any current university logos on the shirt, I don't how you couldn't sell or give away those kinds of shirts. If you sell "Flying Worm" shirts and the logo is not trade marked, then of course the university does not benefit financially from any sales.

RHA gave those shirts away (back in 2002?) versus some retailer selling them though. That's the difference Rick. RHA didn't make any profit plus departments of the university have a lot more breathing room to create their own versions of apparel versus a retailer that sells NT apparel.

I'd be curious to see if the "Flying Worm" is even trade marked by the university which allows you huge (like you can drive a tractor trailer huge) latitudes on selling merchandise using that logo. So long as you don't have any current university logos on the shirt, I don't how you couldn't sell or give away those kinds of shirts. If you sell "Flying Worm" shirts and the logo is not trade marked, then of course the university does not benefit financially from any sales.

Hmmm, seems it was later than '02 because I got coach Fry to sign mine when he was there the weekend we were honoring one of his teams from the 70's? But I could be wrong?

And yes I understand that they gave them out and I don't know if that was why they were given the go or not? They could have sold every one of them had they tried?

And I agree, if its not licensed then it would be great. I don't know about now, but Silver and mine's last year being licensed to produce which was 2004, we checked to see if the worm was copyrighted and it wasnt and we were told that all we needed was verbal permission from the AD Dept to produce the Flyin' Worm clocks we were selling. So we did and sold every one of them.

So we basically made the university some money with a product/logo it had ignored and refused to recognize for 25 or so years.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Wish it were as simple as "no reason". Alas, it is not. And, unfortunately it has ZERO to do with wanting your money or not!

Btw, this shirt has already been mass produced before when the RHA department was allowed to have several thousand of them printed up and handed out for free prior to a homecoming game back in....someone help me out here....'05,...'06,..'07?

Here is mine which I got signed by the man himself that same weekend.

DV375WX.jpg

So any excuse given as to why it can't happen again is just that,...an excuse.

Rick

Hey...agree...except that this was how long ago? And, unfortunately for all of us...long before the new branding and licensing program was put into place by UNT. Just "doing it" now is not quite that realistic.

It may be an "excuse" for you and whoever would go out and do these "underground" so to speak, but HIGHLY doubtful these could be produced today under proper "authority" and OK, nor could they be sold through any area of UNT...like the Apogee store for instance. Don't know if screen printers check this sort of thing or not, but lots here feel it would be easy to get done in a clandestine sort of way...hope they do...I am a buyer if they do.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hey...agree...except that this was how long ago? And, unfortunately for all of us...long before the new branding and licensing program was put into place by UNT. Just "doing it" now is not quite that realistic.

It may be an "excuse" for you and whoever would go out and do these "underground" so to speak, but HIGHLY doubtful these could be produced today under proper "authority" and OK, nor could they be sold through any area of UNT...like the Apogee store for instance. Don't know if screen printers check this sort of thing or not, but lots here feel it would be easy to get done in a clandestine sort of way...hope they do...I am a buyer if they do.

The current branding debuted in April of '03, and unless Im completely forgetting when it was I thought those shirts were handed out after, but again, I may be wrong?

And I agree this could be done several ways under the table if the university wants to claim licensed property. I would be surprised if the worm is protected. If it is it was done to simply squash efforts of others adding to our marks in order to protect the current ones. And if that is the case then they are admitting the worm is at least equal to if not more popular as the current marks.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick