Who will be our starting QB by Conference Play ?

NT03

I'm glad Williams is impressing, but I'm not ready to view him as a starter . . . yet. I'm still leaning BB by then, with DT as the most likely alternative.

I wouldn't be shocked to see all 4 get some PT this season.

Hopefully DW has a great career but I find it a little funny that Coach Mac makes a comment and how many people are now ready to back him (DW) as the man. Just wondering if everyone is going to be supporting Coach on everything he says? I still hope that unless DW can clearly show he is better than everyone else that we red shirt him.

• Upvote 2

This is all fun to see DW's emergence. He'll be a great quarterback after Thompson graduates. How cute too to see Coach Mac try to fire up the real contenders by scaring them with the new guy.

This is certainly possible, but has this been his M.O. before?

I guess he's doing that with Buyers and Whitfield right now too... so maybe this is all a smokescreen?

This is certainly possible, but has this been his M.O. before?

I guess he's doing that with Buyers and Whitfield right now too... so maybe this is all a smokescreen?

You know what? I REALLY hope I'm wrong on this. I WANT DW to be an emergent talent that is unstoppable and miles ahead of the other guys in MAC's mind. I just think we would have heard more of this long ago to make us believe this is the case. Right now it does just sound like a smokescreen to me.

Unless... wait for it.. wait for it.. we could have seen practice?

oh no. now I've done it. :ass:

• Upvote 1

I doubt this is a smokescreen. There has been cases where a coach has tried to get a player to step up by saying there is an open competition in pro sports, but you don't bring in a JUCO in college and open up the job, if you like the starting QB. It is very obvious that they wanted Berklund to take that job this past Spring. They were pretty much ready to hand it over, but he gave them nothing to give them a reason.

So they gave him another chance by saying it will continue to be open at the start of Fall. He had all summer to be ready and learn what he needed to learn. Still could not take the job. Now one week into the Fall Camp, and now a Freshman enters the comp. You just don't open things up like that with a senior experienced QB, if you are not trying to replace him.

I would buy the "trying to light a fire" theory if DT was lazy, but from what I read on the forum is he is a hard working, smart, and dedicated. That's probably his strongest attribute. Usually the only reason teams have a fake QB competition is to get their QB to take the job more seriously.

I would not be surprised if DT starts by default, but Dajon is the backup until he is up to speed on learning the offense. If the season goes down the drain, I would expect Dajon to play the last part of the season. If Berglund does not do something fantastic in the next few weeks and take the job, then he may never get out of the dog house. The coaches are looking foolish right now, and it is because of him. If they knew he would bust like this, I'm sure they wouldn't have ever had this open competition. Can't turn back now.

• Upvote 1

You know what? I REALLY hope I'm wrong on this. I WANT DW to be an emergent talent that is unstoppable and miles ahead of the other guys in MAC's mind. I just think we would have heard more of this long ago to make us believe this is the case. Right now it does just sound like a smokescreen to me.

Unless... wait for it.. wait for it.. we could have seen practice?

oh no. now I've done it. :ass:

Williams has only been here for Fall practice, so I'm not sure what you mean by long ago.

I fully expect to see our senior, Derrick Thompson, as the Mean Green's starting QB on August 31st.

I hope you're wrong. I don't think what Mac said yesterday was to just "fire up" the older QBs. I really think Mac and Chico are considering playing Dajon. IMO if all the QBs are on the same level go with the youngest one that has the most potential to improve and provides the program the best chance for long term success.
  • Upvote 1

I am beginning to think that this is all a smokescreen to motivate the other three. Mac knows that he could get the most out of DWill with him as a redshirt this year.

I remain disappointed that BB hasn't stepped up.

No matter what, DT is our starter against Idaho.

Not his MO...there are already three trying for the top spot..now 4...if anything ,it it to try to motivate more out of Dajon...that he coulld, as a freshman, become the NO 1 QB for UNT this year !!

• Upvote 2

Its too late to start wasting reps to get a point across. If you are working with the 1st and 2nd team at this point, you have a shot. I cant see them using reps on a player they will redshirt instead of using them reps to improve the other qbs. Dajon is in the mix. And if he doesnt redshirt, he will play at some point. You wont burn a redshirt like that and dont get him some work and experience in.

• Upvote 2

Its too late to start wasting reps to get a point across. If you are working with the 1st and 2nd team at this point, you have a shot. I cant see them using reps on a player they will redshirt instead of using them reps to improve the other qbs. Dajon is in the mix. And if he doesnt redshirt, he will play at some point. You wont burn a redshirt like that and dont get him some work and experience in.

You realize that you don't burn the redshirt until he steps onto the field for a play, right? A player can suit up for every game but unless they actually go in, they maintain their redshirt.
  • Upvote 1

I find it a little funny that Coach Mac makes a comment and how many people are now ready to back him (DW) as the man.

Well, you know the saying, the backup QB(s) is the most popular player on the team. That statement is more fitting when the returning starter hasn't done much to validate himself.

• Upvote 1

You realize that you don't burn the redshirt until he steps onto the field for a play, right? A player can suit up for every game but unless they actually go in, they maintain their redshirt.

Yeah...He can actually play in a game and still redshirt...my point, once the redshirt is gone, he will play in games. I doubt they burn the redshirt for him to hold a clipboard. Like your point, he can do that and still keep the redshirt.

If berglund doesnt play for UNT this season and sits out, does he keep that year of eligibilty?

If Berglund is 3rd on the depth chart, I expect he tries somewhere else. He came here to start. Maybe that is why they are looking at dajon. To be the backup if DT is the starter.

It will be clearer in few more Weeks, but whatever the case, I doubt they start this circus for nothing.

• Upvote 1