UNT Scrimmage fails to produce front-runner at quarterback

Harry

Dan McCarney got a long look at all three quarterbacks who are in the race to start in North Texas season opener against Idaho during the Mean Greens first full scrimmage of fall practice on Saturday.

What UNTs head coach saw convinced him that he hasnt seen enough yet to declare a winner.

Returning starter Derek Thompson, backup Andrew McNulty and Brock Berglund, a transfer from Kansas in his first season at UNT, all saw time with UNTs first-team offense during the workout that lasted 136 plays.

The Mean Green struggled to get anything going offensively with any of those quarterbacks and will head into the second week of fall camp without a clear pecking order among them as time creeps toward the Aug. 31 opener.

We are inconsistent, McCarney said. Nobody is bad, but no one is playing to the level that we need them to right now. Its not any one guy. All of them need to elevate their performance and be more consistent. We are going to grade all these snaps and see where the depth chart falls heading into the second week of camp.

Thompson has started each of the last two seasons and received the most time with the first-team offense among the three players competing for the starting job.

Thompson has thrown for 4,551 yards in his college career and has a huge advantage over the rest of UNTs quarterbacks in terms of experience.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20130810-football-scrimmage-fails-to-produce-front-runner-at-quarterback.ece

Ok, we have someone that's been here over four years, someone who has been here three, and another who has been here for a year and we are still talking about "inconsistent play" on the part of all of them? Either we have some great defensive coaches (and players) who can rattle ALL of our QB's (which is a good thing....sort of), or someone is not doing a very good job of evaluating/coaching the QB's.

FWIW, from watching spring practice, I can tell you who is the most consistent....McNulty. Berglund has the most "potential". Thompson is pretty much the same as he has always been.....just a bit more svelte......which IMHO hasn't improved his mobility that much.

Headline: 'In a bizarre game, North Texas rolled up 999 yards of offense, which featured no passes. No quarterback was in the game, with Jimmerson taking the snaps and all three backs running the ball.' The Mean Green pasted Idaho with a 33-0 victory.

• Upvote 2

I guess it depends on what you mean by clear cut. If I remember right, Vizza took the starting job away from Meager several games in. Am I remembering that wrong?

No your exactly right. Several games in.....5 to be exact, Dodge made the change from DM to GV. But back on week one,...the same point where we are at today..(I guess it's week one plus a day now)... there was no clear cut leader between the two.

And in week three of camp Dodge told Vito that Meager was the guy the rest of the way and he wanted that point made so that DM wouldn't have to keep looking over his shoulder. Yet two games after setting the school passing record with 601 yards in a loss to smu...DM gets benched.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I think Coach Mac and Chico know this minute who is going to start the game versus Idaho; that is, barring any unforeseen hitches during 2 a days.

Whichever UNT QB has that famous intangible many call "it" is who we need to start and take us the the Promise Land. I'd bet our coaches know who has "it", too.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think Mac & Canales are giving the other 3 QB's every opportunity to take the job from Thompson. This will come down to the final week and I'm hoping this doesnt turn into a rotation. Not what I'm wanting, but Mac hinted at this during the offseason.

• Upvote 1

I don't see why anyone is taking it as anything other than a positive that Mac and Chico are giving more scrutiny to the QB position. Last year, I brought my brother-in-law, visiting from Boise, to the South Alabama game. Being from Boise, he seems to have seen a lot of college football, and said something like, "everything looks good, except for the passing game, which isn't quite up to Division 1 standards".

Sure I want continued success in the running game, but hey, let's see things for what they are: in need of substantial improvement. And I have no problem with any of the 4 quarterbacks being the starter, as long as they earn it in practice and in games.

And is anyone seeing the possibility of an improved secondary providing more insight in the passing game during practices and scrimmages? Of course, one of the two picks Saturday was from Hilbert Jackson, but the other one, I understand, was from James Jones, a highly touted transfer. If so, this can be a good thing.

• Upvote 3

No your exactly right. Several games in.....5 to be exact, Dodge made the change from DM to GV. But back on week one,...the same point where we are at today..(I guess it's week one plus a day now)... there was no clear cut leader between the two.

And in week three of camp Dodge told Vito that Meager was the guy the rest of the way and he wanted that point made so that DM wouldn't have to keep looking over his shoulder. Yet two games after setting the school passing record with 601 yards in a loss to smu...DM gets benched.

Rick

So, basically, you are predicting that DT starts the first 4 games. Berglund and/or McNulty/Williams get mop up duty and one of them takes the job from DT 5 games in---at the start of conference play. Can't say I'd disagree with your prediction at this point. Feels like deja vu.

The only question left to answer is who is the guy that lands in the #2 spot. That'll be the "future" starter. Just watching what limited video we have available, Dajon has great feet and if he's already looking to push up and into the 2nd team for reps, he could be the guy. It'd be a fast rise and it doesn't seem like Mac trusts freshmen at QB.....so, who knows. I'd say if he doesn't redshirt, then look out.

• Upvote 1