Just heard Norm on the EA Sports NCAA deal

Harry

Looks like the judge is going to allow the players lawsuit to go forward. EA Sports was saying that they could use the players likeness due to 1st amendment rights...hogwash -- it was GREED!! But the problem is the NCAA doesn't allow them to get paid!! Norm said this could be a HUGE financial windfall for the players and the NCAA is already separated from EA... could get UGLY!

Whatever happens, it'll end up as another $100 million each for Ohio State and LSU along with more stadium expansion up to the 200,000 capacity range. Jerry Jones sees it, and invokes eminent domain in Mansfield, increasing the size of (now) AT&T Stadium to the same geographic footprint as an median sized Caribbean island.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 2

Just as an aside on this, have you ever played the games? In what world do the player models qualify as a "likeness" of the players? Those models are so generic that they don't resemble any player. Not taking a side here, but I have trouble saying that the players likeness was used. Their jersey number, used with limited accuracy, but not their likeness.

• Upvote 2

Just as an aside on this, have you ever played the games? In what world do the player models qualify as a "likeness" of the players? Those models are so generic that they don't resemble any player. Not taking a side here, but I have trouble saying that the players likeness was used. Their jersey number, used with limited accuracy, but not their likeness.

You raise a valid point but I know for instance that Johnny Maniel in the game is fast and about the same height as he is in the real game...he does look like him and I think that attracts people to the game and generates revenues. The simple thing to do here would be to pay them or contribute to their scholarship costs with one big check but again greed wouldn't allow that to happen. I can promise you this, the NCAA sure as hell got paid for the game! Where the F did that money go?

It's ridiculous IMO. Every player I know dreams of being on that game and expects nothing more than being able to play as themselves in return. Because a few greedy guys like Ed O'Bannon and Sam Keller believe they should get a cut they're going to ruin this for everyone else. If the creators of the game made up random players with random ratings the real players would all be mad that the teams wouldn't be real enough. A vast majority of college football players play this game religiously and love playing with players modeled after themselves and their teammates.

Old baseball games used to be like this too, but instead the players' numbers they would scramble up their name. For example, Nolan Ryan would be named Rye Noles and would be based off of the Nolan Ryan when it came to skill ratings.

The game will go on but it's ridiculous that it had to come to this.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's ridiculous IMO. Every player I know dreams of being on that game and expects nothing more than being able to play as themselves in return. Because a few greedy guys like Ed O'Bannon and Sam Keller believe they should get a cut they're going to ruin this for everyone else. If the creators of the game made up random players with random ratings the real players would all be mad that the teams wouldn't be real enough. A vast majority of college football players play this game religiously and love playing with players modeled after themselves and their teammates.

Old baseball games used to be like this too, but instead the players' numbers they would scramble up their name. For example, Nolan Ryan would be named Rye Noles and would be based off of the Nolan Ryan when it came to skill ratings.

I'm not disagreeing with your point - but all that EA had to do was say we are donating/paying x percent of sales amount to reimburse the players for using their likeness and it will be used equally among all athletic departments or school budgets etc... it would have been much harder to argue that the players deserved MORE compensation than ANY compensation. That's my point.

I'm not disagreeing with your point - but all that EA had to do was say we are donating/paying x percent of sales amount to reimburse the players for using their likeness and it will be used equally among all athletic departments or school budgets etc... it would have been much harder to argue that the players deserved MORE compensation than ANY compensation. That's my point.

I agree. Some money should've been donated to the schools and bowls, not just the NCAA. There's greed involved from both sides, I just think Sam Keller and Ed O'Bannon are two of a few who are ruining something for a lot of people.
  • Upvote 2

I don't blame these guys. Everybody else (the Power 5 conferences) seem to want more and more money, so why can't the players? To say that these guys are killing the sport is the failure to recognize that there are other factors contributing to the demise of college football.

• Upvote 3

At age 62 I don't like the direction my body, my country or the NCAA is headed. This is all like one of those America goes into the dumper movies or something. I think we tax-payers will soon need some relief and quite soon. Any legal ideas on how we can get that relief?

GMG!

PS: Actually, I need me some slobber-knockin' Mean Green football (with wins) and a 38 inch Louisville slugger for my back yard oak tree right now. That would give some temporary relief. :)...and a little Geritol could probably help, too.

GMG ! !

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I don't blame these guys. Everybody else (the Power 5 conferences) seem to want more and more money, so why can't the players? To say that these guys are killing the sport is the failure to recognize that there are other factors contributing to the demise of college football.

I never said anything about killing the sport, I'm just talki about the game.
  • Upvote 1

Define "likeness."

While I haven't seen all of the game versions, I see generic players with no name on the back, only position and jersey number. No mention of any players name (at least the version I saw) by the "announcers." I guess I fail to see how that is a "likeness."

For the first time Norm is wrong. It is already UGLY. Way past "getting ugly."

Edited by gksmith

All the NCAA had to do was take the cash and spread it out evenly amongst all the schools represented into the general athletic scholarship fund. While this seems the fairest way to distribute, unfortunately we don't live in a fair world. The big schools being who they are, would sue. The argument- the smaller schools don't attract the consumers that the big schools do. So we would still wind up with the law suit. It's always about money and the love of it.

Edited by filmerj

Define "likeness."

While I haven't seen all of the game versions, I have see generic players with no name on the back, only position and jersey number. No mention of any players name (at least the version I saw) by the "announcers." I guess I fail to see how that is a "likeness."

For the first time Norm is wrong. It is already UGLY. Way past "getting ugly."

Likeness as in there is a player on UNT with #16 from Gunbarrel, CO classified as a "Scrambler" QB who is a 6'4 sophomore weighing 215, is really fast and has a hell of an arm as well as a rating of 79.

He also looks a lot like Brock Berglund.

For example, though, the Manziel in the game was modeled after him...and it looks a LOT like him. Frankly, I'd be a little pissed if EA Sports was making money off of me without receiving any of the money they make...

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

Likeness as in there is a player on UNT with #16 from Gunbarrel, CO classified as a "Scrambler" QB who is a 6'4 sophomore weighing 215, is really fast and has a hell of an arm as well as a rating of 79.

For example, though, the Manziel in the game was modeled after him...and it looks a LOT like him. Frankly, I'd be a little pissed if EA Sports was making money off of me without receiving any of the money they make...

Correction: he's #4 in NCAA football 14 and, as you said, Berglund is #16. So they can't possibly be the same guy, right?

THAT is a lot closer to "likeness." I never delved that far into the game (I don't own a game system) but that sounds like the only thing missing is a real picture of the person to go with the uniform.

THAT is a lot closer to "likeness." I never delved that far into the game (I don't own a game system) but that sounds like the only thing missing is a real picture of the person to go with the uniform.

It gets even more uncomfortable when you consider that O'Bannon is suing largely because of a classic moments deal on one of the basketball games, recreating the 1995 NCAA tournament. Tough to say it wasn't his likeness when the game is meant to specify a particular Shining Moment that featured him. Also, when they were still making money off his likeness years after he'd graduated.