UNT's Danny Mac: Always closing

Harry

Any news on what went on tonight? I couldn't make it...

We recognized the best staff anyone could ever ask for...

We mentioned our season tickets sales have increased 60 percent over last year,...but you get to make up the figure from last year as its not that important.

Coach Mac has two National Championship skins on the wall....

This is no longer the slowest, smallest team we've ever been around despite 10 of the possible starters being Dodge recruits.....

When RV got here we had to play in a Safeway Parking lot and only had two donors and a handful of solo cups to drink out of. Now look at us?...

Give me a second, more will come to me.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 12

We recognized the best staff anyone could ever ask for...

We mentioned our season tickets sales have increased 60 percent over last year,...but you get to make up the figure from last year as its not that important.

Coach Mac has two National Championship skins on the wall....

This is no longer the slowest, smallest team we've ever been around despite 10 of the possible starters being Dodge recruits.....

When RV got here we had to play in a Safeway Parking lot and only had two donors and a handful of solo cups to drink out of. Now look at us?...

Give me a second, more will come to me.

Rick

We have the best athletic director in the entire country with the initials RV...

We are offering lots of 3 and 4 star players...that we may not actually sign them is irrelevant...

If you were in attendance you were told about our game on August 31st...

Mac suggested that we get a cannon and an old car as spirit items...he was then roundly applauded for his ingenuity...

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 9

We have the best athletic director in the entire country with the initials RV...

We are offering lots of 3 and 4 star players...that we may not actually sign them is irrelevant...

If you were in attendance you were told about our game on August 31st...

Mac suggested that we get a cannon and an old car as spirit items...he was then roundly applauded for his ingenuity...

LOL!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 7

Well, I see folks who were not at the event have spoken up in their usual style. That's fine...no harm. It must give them a moment of comfort, so it's all good. But, maybe someone who did attend should add a little something. Good crowd this evening...much better than last year, and, for one, I really enjoyed the new format in that all Mean Green Club members were invited. Had the feel of a Mean green Club MEETING.

Format included an introduction and thanks to the Reps from Jessica, then a short chat by RV (talked about how well UNT showed in a study produced by Texas A&M discussing the athletic departments in the country who get the most out of the budgets they have to work with...UNT came in 1st in the SunBelt and 6th in the nation overall). That's a good news-bad news deal for me...absolutely great that UNT is doing so well compared to other D1 schools with the funds it has available to it, but seems to indicate UNT has far too little in the way of funds to work with these days in its efforts to move up and forward.

Jessica and Taryn presented the awards to this year's Mean Green Club Volunteer Representative Program winners...Lance White won the overall award this year, and Todd Samuels won this year's Mean Green Spirit Award. Congrats to both Lance and Todd for all their great work on behalf of our UNT student-athletes. And, my personal thanks and congratulations as well go to all the Mean green Club Volunteer Reps who have demonstrated their willingness to do what they can in support of the Mean green Club and UNT's student-athletes.

Coach Mac then got up and gave another one of his patented speeches that pretty much kicked off the fall camp (begins with some meetings on Sunday with first practice on Monday). He did mention a couple of injuries (both previously announced), but said everyone else was "good to go" for fall camp. He seemed genuinely excited (doesn't he always?) about the arrival of fall camp and the approaching season...and he also mentioned (but did not name) a new verbal that he received just prior to coming into the Mean Green Club MEETING.

Jessica, RV and Coach Mac also took time to thank the entire Mean Green Club membership who demonstrate their support for the Mean Green and do so much in support of the program.

I did notice quite a few new faces in the crowd...and they were noticed by several others besides me as well. I think that was a highlight for me as new faces mean new support and that is, indeed, a very good thing. Always great to see the "regulars", but so exciting to see new faces and get to meet new members and fans of the Mean Green.

Thor...you were missed as a fellow poster, "old guy student", was asking for you. Wanted to meet you, and probably talk a little beer and Oak Street Draft House...I probably made a poor substitute for you, but I tried. :judge: Sorry, you had to miss the event, THOR. I think you would have enjoyed it as much as I did.

If anyone wants to add anything more specific, please do as THOR was not the only one who probably had to miss the event, but would have actually liked to have attended.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

I loved the Mean Green Club video. Those students talking about how they would never have had a chance to go to college without an athletic scholarship. Made me a little verklempt. It's all fun, games, egg rolls in the food line, and fuzzy green sweaters until you realize what it is we're really supporting.

Edit: I was also really happy to hear Mac say that 95 football players were over a 3.0 GPA this past term. Then he pointed to the wing, said, "There are 144 steps to the top of that thing. You miss a class, you're running it." Followed shortly thereafter by, "But let's win some damn games! I get it!"

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 4

Good summary KRAM1 as you covered pretty much everything that went on. For me more than anything events like last night are an opportunity to get together at a great venue with so many friends that share the common interest of Mean Green Sports and the University of North Texas!

Edited by Green59
  • Upvote 6

Kram, before I launch into my tirade let me say that I congratulate you for finishing third among the volunteers. I believe that UNT 90 Grad was in the group just behind yours. It is dedicated alumni like you two and the others listed that are absolutely essential in moving this program forward. Thanks for all that you (and others) do.

Now my complaint. I had to travel a little further to the event this time and due to traffic arrived about 15-20 minutes late. I had made a reservation and got my name tag then went to find a seat. The place was full with about 10-20 standing and talking outside the tabled area. Those with reservations had pre-printed name badges and I assume that those without did not. About a fourth of the tables were occupied by people with handwritten name badges. By the time RV began speaking there were about 50 people unable to find a seat. I was already tired from the day and, at my age, was unable to stand there very long. I got my food and found a seat at the counter that overlooks the football field. I could neither see nor clearly hear very much of the program until Dan McCarney spoke. I was finally able to find a seat in the foyer and Mac's voice was strong enough that I could understand most of what he said. I definitely wished that I hadn't come and won't again in the future.

I will make a suggestion to Rick V for future programs. Either make it a first-come, first-served event or turn away those without reservations. Or, maybe those that come without reservations could be advised that their admittance is for standing room only.

• Upvote 4

Kram, before I launch into my tirade let me say that I congratulate you for finishing third among the volunteers. I believe that UNT 90 Grad was in the group just behind yours. It is dedicated alumni like you two and the others listed that are absolutely essential in moving this program forward. Thanks for all that you (and others) do.

Now my complaint. I had to travel a little further to the event this time and due to traffic arrived about 15-20 minutes late. I had made a reservation and got my name tag then went to find a seat. The place was full with about 10-20 standing and talking outside the tabled area. Those with reservations had pre-printed name badges and I assume that those without did not. About a fourth of the tables were occupied by people with handwritten name badges. By the time RV began speaking there were about 50 people unable to find a seat. I was already tired from the day and, at my age, was unable to stand there very long. I got my food and found a seat at the counter that overlooks the football field. I could neither see nor clearly hear very much of the program until Dan McCarney spoke. I was finally able to find a seat in the foyer and Mac's voice was strong enough that I could understand most of what he said. I definitely wished that I hadn't come and won't again in the future.

I will make a suggestion to Rick V for future programs. Either make it a first-come, first-served event or turn away those without reservations. Or, maybe those that come without reservations could be advised that their admittance is for standing room only.

or.............have an overflow of tables and chairs ready in case you filled up the room. Do not "turn away" anyone who is interested in North Texas Athletics....period.

I understand GreyEagle's concern...let me add another bit of perspective...

First, not everyone with handwritten name tags had not RSVP'd...I know of more than a few who had RSVP'd but, for some reason did not have a pre-printed name tag.

Second...history shows at UNT for this sort of event that many RSVP and don't show while others show and do not RSVP...so a little hard to guess the right number of tables and chairs given the history....but, yes, why not set up for this and have some overflow chairs available.

I also saw several tables with chairs not being utilized, so do not know why folks did not come and sit in those chairs.

Third...what a great and positive thing for a Mean Green Club event...too many people for the available chairs!! How often does that happen? Like...never!

Really sorry you had a bit of a challenge finding a good seat...would have gladly given you my chair and would have happily stood. If this happens to you again...come find me and my chair is yours...but, hopefully, it will be such that this size crowd is the expected and not the unusual and there will be extra tables and chairs already set and ready.

Again...sorry you ended up with a bad seat, GreyEagle...but thanks for the kind words and thanks for making the effort to come! Appreciate you!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Thank you for the kind words. I'm really disappointed to hear about your experience. Hopefully something was learned and will course adjustments will be made next year. As I believe KRAM1 pointed out, this was the first of these events. I know several of us were pleasantly surprised by the attendance and all the new faces. I also hope you'll reconsider and give it another try sometime in the future after the kinks are worked out.