throwback uniforms

drex

The old "parakeet thru a hoola-hoop" helmet, FFR. :)

That helmet served its era well, especially in 1988 when we beat Rice, TCU, Texas Tech and what even many U of Texas Exes at DKR Memorial Stadium post-game on the way back to their cars say was a UNT win the referees gave their school instead.

Gosh, had U of North Texas been in the Southwest Conference that year we would have come darn near winning it! LOL!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rQLREZQS98Q.

The old "parakeet thru a hoola-hoop" helmet, FFR. :)

That helmet served its era well, especially in 1988 when we beat Rice, TCU, Texas Tech and what even many U of Texas Exes at DKR Memorial Stadium post-game on the way back to their cars say was a UNT win the referees gave their school instead.

Gosh, had U of North Texas been in the Southwest Conference that year we would have come darn near winning it! LOL!

GMG!

I've never seen this YouTube version of the UT/UNT 1988 game. With so few hits, it must be new? The old version has several thousand hits as I recall.

I was at the game (just as so many of you reading this were) yet someone please refresh my memory on this but............... were not those first 2 UT fumbles in the first part of the video still considered to be (amazingly) UT's ball?

I haven't seen this video so I've not seen the new camera angle of that last called UT TD pass to Kerry Cash and on that blundered call I will still say what the prison guard said in Shawshank Redemption when he saw an empty prison cell as in---------O my holy God. :(

And for the first TD pass reception in the endzone it seems the SWC official almost had his TD hand signal up before the player even touched the football? :)

Hey, what all this means to me is that what we did during that most memorable 1988 season year as an NCAA D1-AA football program; anyhow, wouldn't it be quite plausible for this to happen again in this new era in Conference-USA?

For North Texas, the sky is still the limit for what this school's football program can do and that even at the NCAA's highest level.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

See if this works Plumm.

fz6rbRY.jpg

Rick

Obvious that his feet are nowhere near where they need to be for it to be a legitimate touchdown.

Not sure I've ever seen any college football game that had so many 'homer calls' in it as this one. Sure....you go on the

road and you expect 1 or 2 of those, but it seemed this game had way more than the usual number.

GMG!

• Upvote 3

BTW... the first fumble we recovered after going up 14-0 was possibly the worst call of the game, but that is always up for debate? Their back was nearly standing straight up when he got stripped, so....

And the first TD their WR was bobbling the ball as he ran across the side of the end zone....then dropped it into a crowd of photographers,..yet was rewarded a TD catch.

In most critically controversial games there's one...maybe two horrible calls. This one had at least three, if not four. And the fourth, as best I can recall, was when they refused to call a late hit out of bounds on McGinty(sp) when he's hit so late he nearly ends up on the tU bench.

Overall an amazing game that made us all proud to be Mean Green, especially when all the Longhorn fans kept coming up to us on 6th street afterwards telling us how they thought we got screwed.

Then, later on, outside a bar, several of us, including "Big Daddy" Scott Bowls, Scott Davis, and others were greeted with congrats and handshakes from 6 Stephen F. Austin players who had just arrived from their game in San Marcos and told us that when our halftime score was announced the entire Bobcat stadium went crazy.

Pretty cool, but sickening at the same time.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

BTW... the first fumble we recovered after going up 14-0 was possibly the worst call of the game, but that is always up for debate? Their back was nearly standing straight up when he got stripped, so....

And the first TD their WR was bobbling the ball as he ran across the side of the end zone....then dropped it into a crowd of photographers,..yet was rewarded a TD catch.

In most critically controversial games there's one...maybe two horrible calls. This one had at least three, if not four. And the fourth, as best I can recall, was when they refused to call a late hit out of bounds on McGinty(sp) when he's hit so late he nearly ends up on the tU bench.

Overall an amazing game that made us all proud to be Mean Green, especially when all the Longhorn fans kept coming up to us on 6th street afterwards telling us how they thought we got screwed.

Then, later on, outside a bar, several of us, including "Big Daddy" Scott Bowls, Scott Davis, and others were greeted with congrats and handshakes from 6 Stephen F. Austin players who had just arrived from their game in San Marcos and told us that when our halftime score was announced the entire Bobcat stadium went crazy.

Pretty cool, but sickening at the same time.

Rick

Good stuff and post-game sidelights of that game, FFR. :thumbsu:

Don't call me a Mean Green Benedict Arnold here, but sitting in DKR Memorial that evening, gazing over toward our Texas state capital building in the background then watching the 400 (?) piece Longhorn band with their Big Bertha drum march into the stadium gave me a surge of Texas pride.

Of course, the Green Brigade showed all at DKR that it, too, was hardly a chopped liver sandwhich of a college marching band, but UT band members knew all the time what they would be able to expect from UNT's marching band (and they did not disappoint them).

It was a great night to be Mean Green except for the final score which was not the fault of so many classy UT fans who knew what had happened to us; but rather the focus being on 1 or 2 referees who should have been ashamed of themselves for totally controlling the narrative of this game and then its final score.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

Something tells me that with how bland our current uniforms are, I'll wish this mashup uniform was our regular one.

I will admit this much -- I would indeed rather see some kind of logo on the helmet over the "North Texas" thing.

Other than that, color me old school on uniforms. I do NOT like the crap that Oregon, Maryland and others are breaking out these days. Makes college football look like Vince McMahon took over as NCAA commissioner and puked Red Bull in the locker room.

It's a bunch of large men hitting each other, not a runway fashion show.

• Upvote 3

While I am thrilled that we are doing throwback for the first game, the 'sneak peek' of the white helmet with Hayden Fry log has a basic design flaw. The outline of the flying worm should be in black, not the medium green they are apparently using. THERE WILL BE NO CONTRAST TO ALLOW THE LOGO TO BE SEEN FROM A DISTANCE.

• Upvote 2

Add the awful changes to one of the NFL's long standing uniform/logos, Miami Dolphins, as another example of changing something for the sake of change...and the almighty dollar. Every year I worry Jerrah is going to try and alter the Cowboys' uniform. The alternate uniforms with the white helmet, etc... are bad enough.

While I am thrilled that we are doing throwback for the first game, the 'sneak peek' of the white helmet with Hayden Fry log has a basic design flaw. The outline of the flying worm should be in black, not the medium green they are apparently using. THERE WILL BE NO CONTRAST TO ALLOW THE LOGO TO BE SEEN FROM A DISTANCE.

Says the guy with the flying worm logo as his avatar.... outlined in green.

• Upvote 2

They really should go beyond auctioning these jerseys and make at least 2 jerseys for sale in whatever format they end up using.

One should be a non-player specific #13, "Mean Green" jersey for the 100 yrs. and the other, #75 (nothing more needs to be said for this one).

You're talking about the same organization that couldn't manage to get a Tony Mitchell jersey to the fans until 2 months before his last game.

I will be shocked if there is anything more than one single throwback T-Shirt for sale in the team shop on game day.

We don't do marketing around here.

You're talking about the same organization that couldn't manage to get a Tony Mitchell jersey to the fans until 2 months before his last game.

I will be shocked if there is anything more than one single throwback T-Shirt for sale in the team shop on game day.

We don't do marketing around here.

Can't be true.

...and you need a new hobby...

...and quit bitching about this group,...

...and your beating a dead horse...

...and someone lock this thread because I can't stand to read truth anymore..

...and take your complaints to the grumpy board..

...and...

;)

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 6

Wouldn't the white background allow for the green logo to be seen? Just a question -- I do know and respect your knowledge of this area.

Since the helmet is white, the green will show up great. However, the two values of green are too close together to be defineable at a distance. Since the original ones were white on a green helmet they showed up pretty well, although a black outline would have helped the Hayden Fry helmets. That's my opinion, for what it is worth. I'm still excited to see the ensignia on the helmets....we won a hell of a lot games wearing the 'flying worm.'....Just ask SMU, Houston, Tennessee, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, etc. what they thought of the emblem and lime green. Before anyone jumps me about the Mississippi State game, they had to forfeit it eventually to us due to NCAA violations.