Neat Story about North Texas Coach Dan McCarney

Harry

I received this from a member here on the GoMeanGreen.com site earlier today and with his permission am able to share it with everyone:

I just had to share what a good man Coach Mac is. My 15 year old son has been having some health problems, not life threatening but serious none the less. To lift his spirits, my wife & I offered to remodel his bedroom and let him pick out the colors, flooring, decorations,etc. He wanted his room painted Mean Green Green & White! I thought that maybe I could get an autographed football of this years team & make it the centerpiece of his room. I figured that I would just start at the top so I emailed Coach Mac and asked about the possibility of getting a ball signed. Imagine my surprise when none other than Coach Mac himself called me last Friday morning. He genuinely seemed concerned about my son and stated that not only could we get a ball signed but that we could come in and get a tour of the athletic facility and attend practice when camp starts. Mac said that whatever the Mean Green could do to make my son feel better, he would make sure it gets done! My wife's eyes filled with tears when I told her about the call later Friday evening. I don't like to put out a lot of personal information on the forum but I just had to share this. Coaches take a lot of flak and criticism, that's part of the job, but a lot of the good things that they do often go unnoticed. Coach Mac=Good Man!

I received this from a member here on the GoMeanGreen.com site earlier today and with his permission am able to share it with everyone:

I just had to share what a good man Coach Mac is. My 15 year old son has been having some health problems, not life threatening but serious none the less. To lift his spirits, my wife & I offered to remodel his bedroom and let him pick out the colors, flooring, decorations,etc. He wanted his room painted Mean Green Green & White! I thought that maybe I could get an autographed football of this years team & make it the centerpiece of his room. I figured that I would just start at the top so I emailed Coach Mac and asked about the possibility of getting a ball signed. Imagine my surprise when none other than Coach Mac himself called me last Friday morning. He genuinely seemed concerned about my son and stated that not only could we get a ball signed but that we could come in and get a tour of the athletic facility and attend practice when camp starts. Mac said that whatever the Mean Green could do to make my son feel better, he would make sure it gets done! My wife's eyes filled with tears when I told her about the call later Friday evening. I don't like to put out a lot of personal information on the forum but I just had to share this. Coaches take a lot of flak and criticism, that's part of the job, but a lot of the good things that they do often go unnoticed. Coach Mac=Good Man!

great story - this is the type of thing I like to hear. I do believe is a very GOOD MAN...I have no doubts about this....I just hope he is a really good coach...this year should tell...once again, great story.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

That is a wonderful story. I wish the media could be made aware of Coach Mac's generous offer.

The media is too busy telling us about MTSU players choking girls, and assaults by OSU running backs. Apparently, anything that gets a kid suspended should be made known to everyone immediately.

I wish they'd dig up more stories like the one above.

• Upvote 6

As I have said for a while, if Coach Mac can't turn this around here, no one can. His fire and his spirit are contagious and you have to be that kind of guy to make something work here in Denton. His experience in building a program and making a connection with the community and fanbase are well known. This story is just another great example of who we are blessed with as a leader. You might say that Todd Dodge or Darrell Dickey did stuff like this too, but we rarely heard of any decent interactions between those two--especially Dickey and his MFer comments about the fans--and the fanbase. Coach Mac is facing a huge mountain here and he isn't even halfway up, but the reality is that he is trying to build it up the right way. His recruiting of HS kids has not been good, but that is more institutional, in my opinion. Texas High School coaches and their parents need to see UNT win--becasue they will continue to see and hear Coach Mac be the kind of man that they would want their kids to be under. I'll tell you this--I'll take Coach Mac's personality and drive over a lot of other coaches around this state and region. In the end, and he knows this better than any of us, it will come down to wins and losses ONLY, but he's got this thing at least turned in the right direction. Whether he can get it moving further up the mountain is yet to be seen, but I like our chances with Coach Mac a heckuva lot more than any coach we have had here since Corky Nelson.

• Upvote 4

What a great story, and no real surprise regarding Coach Mac. My best of wishes go out to this 15 year old young man for a speedy recovery. Here's to hoping that bedroom and ball are just what he was looking for in a new room scheme and will help speed the recovery!

Really proud to be even a small part of this great Mean Green Nation.

Thanks so much for allowing this great story to be told!

What a great story, and no real surprise regarding Coach Mac. My best of wishes go out to this 15 year old young man for a speedy recovery. Here's to hoping that bedroom and ball are just what he was looking for in a new room scheme and will help speed the recovery!

Really proud to be even a small part of this great Mean Green Nation.

Thanks so much for allowing this great story to be told!

Totally agree with your sentiments.

I will add that this is the kind of coach/person that will help us build the kind of loyal fan base that we need here to move up to the next level. For all of you young NT fans who have gotten tired of hearing about Hayden Fry......this is the kind of stuff that he did...or would have done.

This is such a far cry from the days of "bunker mentality" and "grand exalted king of (High school) coaching" that were both big disasters.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3

This is such a far cry from the days of "bunker mentality" and "grant exalted king of (High school) coaching" that were both big disasters.

That is such a good analogy I had to give you a +1. Very well said Silver. Sums up the past decade very well.

I really want us to win, but things like this and Coach Mac producing players of character w/o tons of issues goes along way with me letting him slide if the win totals are slow in coming. I agree with untjim in that, if he can't turn things around for us, then we may never make it.

Edited by meaniegreenie
  • Upvote 2