Claflin men's basketball coach leaves for North Texas

Harry

The Scott Monarch era has apparently ended before it started at Claflin University.

Just two months after he was hired as the Panthers’ men’s basketball coach, Monarch was named assistant coach at North Texas on Tuesday.

In leaving behind the Division II program before coaching a single game to join the newest member of Division I Conference USA, Monarch reunites with former fellow

Marquette University assistant coach and second-year Mean Green head coach Tony Benford.

“I’m tremendously excited to be coming to the University of North Texas,” Monarch said in a school release. “I am familiar with the University and the entire North Texas region, and for me to work back in the area means a lot for me personally and professionally. Tony Benford and I worked really closely together at Marquette, and the opportunity to work with him once again at North Texas was too much to pass up.

“It’s more than just recruiting and basketball to Tony because he helps players really grow up as individuals. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Tony and I have learned a great deal from him. As a father, Tony Benford is who I would want my son to play for.”

Read more: http://thetandd.com/sports/claflin-men-s-basketball-coach-leaves-for-north-texas-state/article_3de84958-ee97-11e2-a4e7-001a4bcf887a.html