Need input regarding a C-USA Texas team trophy

Harry

I wanted to get your ideas and feedback regarding a trophy or designation that would be given to the Texas C-USA school that has the most wins among Texas teams in the conference. This would include North Texas, Rice, UTSA, and UTEP. Since all four of these teams would be playing in football every year, it would make it fun to say the one who wins the most games against Texas schools would get some sort of trophy or bragging rights. It could most certainly be applied to other sports but football is king in this state. I'm not sure if this is being done anywhere else with this many teams but similar games that come to mind would be the Bayou Bucket game in Houston that pits Rice against the University of Houston every year for bragging rights in Texas or the SMU/TCU battle for the Iron Skillet game. These are just the first two that come to mind to me; there may be more in other states.

We have four great cities in the great state of Texas who are in our conference and I could envision getting the mayors of each respective city and various businesses behind this. Perhaps a Texas media outlet could get involved...or even Dave Campbells... we have some real creative minds on here so let's hear what you got! How much fun could we have with this every year -- I think about a nice trophy sitting in Apogee that shows we were the best in Texas for that particular year. The Texas connection is a big part of what makes this conference special to us (we are tied with the Big 12 at 4 teams in the state now) and we need to emphasize it as much as possible.

GMG!

Love the idea. I am thinking:

Four Corners comes to mind or if you connect the dots it almost looks like the Comet Cup.

That is pretty awesome that we have 4 in state conference mates like the B12 does.

GMG

• Upvote 3

Texas possesses three of the top ten most populous cities in the United States. These towns are Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio. I know that doesn't include El Paso but there ought to be some type of corporation with business in those 4 cities who would be interested in sponsoring this trophy...

I was thinking about something like a "Come and Take It" flag that has all four of the C-USA Texas teams' logos. The flag would be given to Rice since they had the best record last season, and it would be theirs to lose. Rice would fly the flag whenever they play one of the other Texas C-USA members. When another team in the group beats them, that team gets to rush the end-zone and take the flag down and carry it over to their sideline. The flag could change hands a few times during the season and at the end of the year the team that has it keeps it over the offseason and starts the following season with the flag.

What do you think?

• Upvote 4

Texas possesses three of the top ten most populous cities in the United States. These towns are Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio. I know that doesn't include El Paso but there ought to be some type of corporation with business in those 4 cities who would be interested in sponsoring this trophy...

Slurpee Cup? Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 2

I was thinking about something like a "Come and Take It" flag that has all four of the C-USA Texas teams' logos. The flag would be given to Rice since they had the best record last season, and it would be theirs to lose. Rice would fly the flag whenever they play one of the other Texas C-USA members. When another team in the group beats them, that team gets to rush the end-zone and take the flag down and carry it over to their sideline. The flag could change hands a few times during the season and at the end of the year the team that has it keeps it over the offseason and starts the following season with the flag.

What do you think?

I like this best so far.

• Upvote 1

What do you think?

So:

Week 1: UTEP beats Rice, takes flag

Week 2: UTSA beats UNT. Nothing happens

Week 3: UNT beats UTEP. Takes flag

Week 4: UTSA beats UTEP. Nothing happens

So UTSA ends up with the most wins, but because of schedule timing, never gets the flag. I like the idea, but the logistics are off.

(And before anybody gets their panties in a knot, it's a hypothetical. I'm in no way implying that UTSA will beat UNT this year)

And Harry, by asking for this input, are you implying that this might actually be a thing? Are you in contact with the other Texas schools, or are we all just chewing the mid-summer fat in a much more interesting topic than helmet stripes?

• Upvote 2

So:

So UTSA ends up with the most wins, but because of schedule timing, never gets the flag. I like the idea, but the logistics are off.

(And before anybody gets their panties in a knot, it's a hypothetical. I'm in no way implying that UTSA will beat UNT this year)

And Harry, by asking for this input, are you implying that this might actually be a thing? Are you in contact with the other Texas schools, or are we all just chewing the mid-summer fat in a much more interesting topic than helmet stripes?

This is true.

It could be that the team that wins the most games between the 4 of us never even sees the flag to try and take it. And a team could go 1-2 between us all and have the flag to keep over the offseason.

Scenario #2:

Sept 21: UTEP beats UTSA

Oct 12: UTSA beats Rice - Takes the flag (this is the first of the Texas teams Rice would play)

Nov 23: UNT beats UTSA - Takes the flag and flies it proudly over the offseason (this is the last game played between Texas teams).

UTEP could beat Rice and UNT in-between, going 3-0 in games between us and never see the flag to try and take it.

I guess it would need to be defined what exactly is being rewarded... There could be 3 teams at 2-1. That would be a whacked-out tiebreaker.

But yes, this is so much better than uniform talk or re-alignment rumors.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1

So:

It's true, every team wouldn't always get a shot at the flag. Scheduling the team with the flag to play in the first Texas match-up game would help, but it still wouldn't insure every team gets to play for the flag. Here is the Texas Schedule for this season:

Sept. 21 UTSA @ UTEP

Oct. 12 Rice @ UTSA

Oct. 26 UTEP @ Rice

Oct. 31 Rice @ UNT

Nov. 9 UTEP @ UNT

Nov. 23 UTSA @ UNT

I think in most seasons every teams would get a chance to play for the flag, but not having a guarantee of playing for the flag every season would certainly bring extra interest to the game when the flag is on the line. I think it would also give broadcasters a story to market and discuss.

• Upvote 1

Or you could just let UTEP and UTSA play for the flag on Sept. 21st. Every team would have a chance to play for the flag this season under this plan, but there would be no guarantee every team gets a chance in future seasons.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1

What do you think?

I like where your heads at, but part of what makes that design so awesome is its minimal simplicity. Having all four logos across it would diminish it, I think.

Actually, I take that back.

Here ya go:

Black & White

3UTIreh.png

Color

G8B5UBu.png

Obviously, B&W is better. And it's now that I realize we're the only one in the bunch that doesn't have a color-block style logo. Someone should get on that.

• Upvote 2

Come and Take It is fine, but it should not be at an each game thing because of the reasons mentioned, plus the games where a flag isn't there loses the bump in interest. Basically, it is a yearly thing, and whoever wins the most gets it for the next year. That way even if you are 2-7 on the season, if one of those in-state games happens, there is still interest in winning the Come and Take It Trophy or whatever it is.

• Upvote 1