North Texas Mean Green Battle Flag....some history.

Rick, maybe you would like to regale some of the newest Mean Green fans with the story(s) of the struggle to even have the battle flag around? Starting with your days in the Talons. It's a great example of (spirit and symbol wise) this University, and it's bureaucracy, being our own worst enemy.

• Upvote 3

Thanks to the tenacity of Firefightin Rick and others, the flag was finally deemed worthy of official recognition by the university. It is appropriate that it is nicknamed the battle flag, since many battles were fought to keep it flying. The utter arrogance of Texas A&M plays into the equation, as does the wimpy North Texas administration...have Rick explain it to you some time.

• Upvote 2

Thanks to the tenacity of Firefightin Rick and others, the flag was finally deemed worthy of official recognition by the university. It is appropriate that it is nicknamed the battle flag, since many battles were fought to keep it flying. The utter arrogance of Texas A&M plays into the equation, as does the wimpy North Texas administration...have Rick explain it to you some time.

....and this is one of the examples that I hold up when I talk about our school's lack of traditions.

Jim, brother, you know how much you mean to me. You did so much for this school...YOUR Alma Mater....when you worked for our AD dept...wearing countless hats all the while out-performing any marketing effort we have ever seen since with much bigger budgets and staff,...and giving me my first job out of school and all. So when a paid employee of our school set his sights on something you had started, something that was so cool and unique to North Texas, it just enfuriated me.

So glad that ordeal turned out for the better.

BTW, for those who are interested in seeing Drex's latest creation with the NT Mean Green Battle Flag they still had a few of them available at Voertmans a few weeks back. It's an awesome new creation that everyone can use regardless where you live.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1