SMU will not win over 5.5 games this season

Harry

No team may feel the sting of moving up from C-USA to the AAC more than the Mustangs, who play three of their four nonconference games against heavy BCS-level favorites in Texas Tech, Texas A&M and TCU,” Hinnen wrote. “That will require June Jones’ team to win five AAC games to make a bowl — and do it without the dominant defensive line that made such a difference in 2012. Home games vs. Templeand UConn should be two such wins, but even at -180, it’s too hard finding three more to play the over — particularly for a team that’s been so lousy on the road the past two years (3-8 against the spread). Verdict: Under.”

Read more: http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/07/writer-smu-will-not-win-over-5-5-games-this-season.html/

When I went to UNT, SMU brats acted like I was less than them. Then When I went to TCU, SMU turds still acted better. Do SMU fools think they are better than everyone? If I went to freakin Harvard they would still act above me. I hate SMU, what it stands for, and most the students there can choke on their dad's car dealership.

I concur. In club baseball we beat their team like a drum everytime, but they still act like punks and complain to the umps, then peel out of the parking lot in daddy's Benz.

When we were kicking their butt players from their team literally started calling out our education at UNT, calling it second rate and crap like that. I can't wait to see our football team take them down year after year.

• Upvote 7

Always remember, as a state school, we are much closer to UT academically than they are to Harvard (or Rice for that matter). SMU is expensive and that's about it.

• Upvote 4

Always remember, as a state school, we are much closer to UT academically than they are to Harvard (or Rice for that matter). SMU is expensive and that's about it.

After I graduated from TCU with my masters I immediately got sad when I realized how much money I owed and the many jerks I met. UNT would have been a better choice for sure. Everyone around here is more laid back and just want to have a good time. That is why when I went back to school (again) I came back to UNT for more classes.

Edited by North Texas Shep
  • Upvote 5

Gotta love the insecurity and inferiority complexes the people of GMG and UNT in general have towards SMU.

On another note, as mediocre as SMU is in football what honestly makes you think that you will beat them when you can barely beat (and in numerous cases, lose) to bottom feeders like FAU and have to play your starters until the end of the 4th quarter against FCS teams.

Before anybody tries to throw crap at us for only winning 7 games in the Big 12, let me remind you that we did it with a freshman qb, went to a bowl game (something that UNT hasn't done in about 10 years and most students were either too young to remember/care or don't even know that UNT has even been to one.) Plus its more wins than UNT has gotten in a long time.

I know you guys are envious that you don't have a guy like Pachall on your team, so before you throw crap at him. We all know that you all would be falling over yourselves if UNT had a guy with his skill set. (We know that won't happen since your coach doesn't recruit very well. ) and at least he shows up to practices, worked hard, actually earning the starting job not expecting it to be handed to him, is a proven winner and isn't going around punching people at parties he has no business being at.

Oh and at least Pachall owned up to his mistakes instead of pointing the finger at others.

Edited by FroggyStyle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

"I know you guys are envious that you don't have a guy like Pachall on your team, so before you throw crap at him. We all know that you all would be falling over yourselves if UNT had a guy with his skill set. (We know that won't happen since your coach doesn't recruit very well. ) and at least he shows up to practices, worked hard, actually earning the starting job not expecting it to be handed to him, is a proven winner and isn't going around punching people at parties he has no business being at."

I won't make fun of your QB, as long as you promise that he's taking English classes you're not enrolled in.

• Upvote 3

Gotta love the insecurity and inferiority complexes the people of GMG and UNT in general have towards SMU.

On another note, as mediocre as SMU is in football what honestly makes you think that you will beat them when you can barely beat (and in numerous cases, lose) to bottom feeders like FAU and have to play your starters until the end of the 4th quarter against FCS teams.

Before anybody tries to throw crap at us for only winning 7 games in the Big 12, let me remind you that we did it with a freshman qb, went to a bowl game (something that UNT hasn't done in about 10 years and most students were either too young to remember/care or don't even know that UNT has even been to one.) Plus its more wins than UNT has gotten in a long time.

I know you guys are envious that you don't have a guy like Pachall on your team, so before you throw crap at him. We all know that you all would be falling over yourselves if UNT had a guy with his skill set. (We know that won't happen since your coach doesn't recruit very well. ) and at least he shows up to practices, worked hard, actually earning the starting job not expecting it to be handed to him, is a proven winner and isn't going around punching people at parties he has no business being at.

Oh and at least Pachall owned up to his mistakes instead of pointing the finger at others.

True and he still got busted twice. You can have him.

"FroggyStyle, TCU is a good school, however, it's no UT or OU in the Big 12 world. So shut the F up and stop acting like it is. If you were so high and mighty you wouldn't be here talking trash."

Exactly ! How many Texas or OU fans come to this forum to boast about their team. Zero. Why ? Because we are not threat to them and won't be in the near future. ANY fan of another university coming to this forum to troll is doing so because they see UNT as a possible threat to their own successes.

Most TCU fans have been pretty cool, because they have better things to do than troll a UNT forum.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, Paschall owned up to his mistake alright but only "AFTER" he got caught. Do you ever read the FW Star-Telegram, dude?

When TCU gets back into one of their famous "SWC-esque" 2 or 3 decade slumps as a member of the Big 12 and that because of what caused those to happen back in the old Southwest Conference, ie, week in and week out competition against huge, enormous public universities with much bigger and better facilities than TCU's....then you get back to us with your additional insecurities which you so try to hide and those very same insecurities which keeps bringing you back to GMG.com, Wampus-Frog. Why hasn't someone stepped on you or thrown you against a tree, like the frog in that movie O Brother Where Art Thou? Rivitt! Rivitt!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

A friend of mine went to North Texas and got his degree in accounting. Then, he went to TCU and got his masters in accounting. He said the masters at TCU was merely a repeat of the work he had done at North Texas for his bachelors. Money doesn't always mean quality.

• Upvote 1

Look, who cares? Congrats to TCU for getting into the Big 12 and raising money to upgrade Amon Carter along the way.

But, TCU is what it is against real football schools - TCU. Hence, the losing record in the BIg 12 and going 3-6 over the final three months of the 2012 season. Once they were done with Grambling, Kansas, Virginia, and SMU, the chickens came home to roost.

TCU will forever be a 4- to 7- win school in the Big 12, with a majority of those wins coming OOC agains the likes of Gramblings, VIrginias, and SMUs.

2013 Frogs:
2013 TCU Football Schedule
Aug. 31 - vs. LSU - Certain Loss, 0-1
Sept. 7 - Southeastern Louisiana, Certain Win, 1-1
Sept. 14 - at Texas Tech, Flip a coin, 2-1 or 1-2
Sept. 28 - SMU, Certain Win, 3-1 or 2-2
Oct. 5 - at Oklahoma, Certain Loss, 3-2 or 2-3
Oct. 12 - Kansas, Certain Win, 4-2 or 3-3
Oct. 19 - at Oklahoma State, Certain Loss, 4-3 or 3-4
Oct. 26 - Texas, Probable Loss, 4-4 or 3-5
Nov. 2 - West Virginia, Flip a coin, 5-4 or 3-6
Nov. 9 - at Iowa State, Flip a coin, 6-4 or 3-7
Nov. 16 - at Kansas State, Certain Loss, 6-5 or 3-8
Nov. 30 - Baylor, Flip a coin, 7-5 or 3-9

There are four flip a coin games in there. I'll bet they split them 2-2 and finish the season at 5-7. Wow. The only real mystery is will Texas suck enough to lose to TCU again. Odds are the Longhorn offense will be as mismanaged as before; however, their defense is stronger.

This is exciting, brag-worthy football? I mean, to the extent that you'd waste time thumping your chest in a UNT football forum?

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 2

A friend of mine went to North Texas and got his degree in accounting. Then, he went to TCU and got his masters in accounting. He said the masters at TCU was merely a repeat of the work he had done at North Texas for his bachelors. Money doesn't always mean quality.

I have a friend who went to TCU (accounting) and he said he had a friend who kept flunking accounting classes at TCU but as long as daddy would pay the tuition he could keep enrolling. At UNT if you get two grades below C, you are out of the accounting program.

• Upvote 1

anecdotal evidence from friends of friends and mystery students and the like is always fun, but then one needs to go past that and look at the reality of what has meaning

it is interesting that for all the stories of how easy some schools are or the fact that they have students failing left and right and staying in programs.....at the end of the day it seems odd that those particular schools still remain highly ranked in various rankings as a university overall and even more so in multiple rankings for business programs.....and their students seem to have little difficulty finding employment and their alumni seem to give back to the university at a much higher % than some of the other "low cost" (cheap) options......and giving back to a university certainly implies both the means to give back (which comes from gainful employment) and it also implies that former students see their time at that university as very meaningful in their success in business and life.....and after all at a very "expensive" private university if one was to leave there and feel as though they did not get their moneys worth or that they could have achieved the same success at a less expensive university (cheap) what purpose would it serve for that person to shrug off those feelings and GIVE yet more money to that university....wouldn't they feel inclined to think to themselves they had wasted enough money and time at that university and there was going to be no additional money given for something that does not deliver as advertised

so again while anecdotal stories are always mildly amusing the reality of rankings from numerous sources, rates of employment, and rates of alumni giving for some universities that already cost much more money as a student VS some lower cost (cheap) options really calls into question the validity of those anecdotal stories and to their overall relevance to the university as a whole or to the specific programs discussed

and as for accounting and CPAs in general there are other measures that can show how well a university prepares their graduates for their chosen profession

things like the % of students that pass various professional certifications needed to actual practice in that profession

here are some recent metrics that deal with that for accounting specifically from 2004-2102 (8 years aggregated)

https://www.tscpa.org/eweb/pdf/TodaysCPA/2013/WhereTexasCPAsFromJanFeb2013.pdf

and while the statistical and mathematically challenged and logic impaired members of the forum (that includes you untflyer) will immediately champion the fact that north Texas is in the top 10 for total sections passed.....they will ignore the fact (and accuse some of using statistics in a biased fashion) that north Texas is not in the top 10 for passage rate and in fact north Texas is below the average passage rate of 49.2 with a passage rate of 46.7 while TCU is #3 in passage rate at 61.4 which is well above the average and below only UT Austin (one of if not the top accounting program in the USA) and Texas A&M which is also highly respected

and for some (those that are mentioned as challenged/impaired above) I suppose the goal is to just produce a whole hell of a lot of students and then have a large % of them fail to pass the exams needed to practice in that profession, but for others the goal is to have a very high % of the total number of students produced (even if lower in numbers overall) pass those needed exams.....because really the goal is to produce students that can go out into the field of study and pass certifications as an individual and then be gainfully employed in that field of study and advance their career.....not to produce students that struggle to pass those certification exams, but revel in the fact that their friends told them some anecdotes and that some others they were in class may have passed those exams while they did not

here is the final paragraph from the first page to help clarify the feelings of the author of the article

Large schools with higher enrollments are expected to
produce more successful candidates; therefore, the pass rates
should also be considered. The pass rate is calculated by
comparing the number of sections passed to the number of
sections tested. Schools whose graduates passed fewer than 85
sections (10 per year) over this eight-and-a-half year period
were eliminated from this analysis because the small numbers
could produce an unreliable result. The top 10 schools by pass

rate are listed in Exhibit 2

so again.....schools with larger overall enrollments are expected to have a higher total number of sections passed than some schools with lower enrollments, but that needs to be weighted against the total number of students taking those exams and the total number of exams attempted

and here is another comment at the start of age 2 from the author

It is not surprising that the flagship schools of the two largest state
university systems and three prestigious private schools have the best
pass rates. However, the number of successful candidates they produce,
along with their pass rates, is quite striking in comparison to the other
schools in the state.
so it seems at least from the point of view of these authors writing for a professional publication that TCU and SMU and Baylor are doing very in preparing students to enter the profession of accounting and to become a CPA all anecdotal evidence aside....and with some amount of great statistical bias that I am sure untflyer and others will be along shortly to point out and clarify

Going to a private university for undergrad is great if it's Ivy. Otherwise, it's just proof that a person can't do math. Nothing is more fun that spending time at our master's program orientations - filled with kids from SMU and TCU who still ended up at UNT because their universities can't afford or maintain actual graduate programs.

That aside, trashing SMU is a tradition around here (even though our universities are working well together these days). UNT's athletic anger at SMU comes from our failings - even though we've been playing the game for longer than many of the FBS universities in Texas have existed, we have gotten nowhere. 100 years of frustration evinces itself in many odd ways.

this comment is really not persuasive at all to your claim of being even an equal university much less a better university
you are stating that students from TCU and SMU are at north Texas for a masters orientation (implying they have been accepted) and it is because those universities can't afford "actual graduate programs"
SMU is 12,000 students with 7,000 undergrads and 5,000 graduate students or 41.667% graduate students......while TCU is 9,725 total and 8,465 undergrad and 1,269 graduate for a 13% graduate enrollment
north Texas is 35,778 with 28,991 undergrads and 6,867 graduate students for a 19.19% graduate enrollment which is well below SMU and only slightly above TCU
Rice University ( a place I don't think anyone with a modicum of intelligence would question has a high graduate reputation) is 3,708 undergrads and 2.374 graduates....so well under the total graduate enrollment of north Texas
and even then you readily admit that TCU and SMU students are admitted to the masters programs at north Texas (19.19% of overall enrollment).......while SMU and TCU have higher or very similar graduate enrollment % of overall enrollment......which means that north Texas is accepting the students that CAN'T get into the graduate programs at TCU or SMU......so they come take a place in the small overall % of total graduate students at north Texas.......which means they they were more qualified than many others.....coming out of TCU and SMU and coming into north Texas as graduate students
a smaller school with a higher or very similar graduate enrollment has the same % of available graduate positions available to their undergrads as does a larger overall university with a very low % of overall graduate student enrollment.....so in the case of SMU their undergrads have more % opportunity to get into grad school at SMU than an undergrad from north Texas would at north Texas and in the case of TCU they have only a slightly lower % chance of getting into grad school (based on available graduate positions relative to undergrad enrollment) as an undergrad than an undergrad from north Texas wishing to do undergrad work at north Texas....and then there are all those SMU and TCU undergrads bumping them out as well :(
and as to the math challenged part.....perhaps they know full well how to do math and they understand that with a much more competitive financial aid package aided by the much higher endowments and much higher % of yearly alumni giving at TCU and SMU they can still attend those schools at a similar or even lower overall cost out of their own pockets and because of the quality of education they obtain at TCU or SMU even if they are not able to get into the graduate programs at those schools they will still be able to get a spot at the DFW fall back north Texas......not everyone pays full rate at the vast majority of private universities in the USA
Edited by GL2Greatness
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Going to a private university for undergrad is great if it's Ivy. Otherwise, it's just proof that a person can't do math. Nothing is more fun that spending time at our master's program orientations - filled with kids from SMU and TCU who still ended up at UNT because their universities can't afford or maintain actual graduate programs.

That aside, trashing SMU is a tradition around here (even though our universities are working well together these days). UNT's athletic anger at SMU comes from our failings - even though we've been playing the game for longer than many of the FBS universities in Texas have existed, we have gotten nowhere. 100 years of frustration evinces itself in many odd ways.

• Upvote 1

Unless NT has changed and I hope they have, NT's accounting department put little emphasis on passing the CPA exam. Something I never understood, it was almost like it was beneath them. Yes they understood the importance, but did nothing to really prepare students for the test.

As for as the preparation of accountants for the real world based on years of experience not statistics, I think NT does as well as any university. UT, A&M, SMU and UTA also do a good job; it has a lot more to do with the person than it does where they were educated.

• Upvote 1

Some fair points made here folks...I, for one, have never gotten this UNT hates SMU and TCU stuff. I do not dislike either school. I only wish we could play them both consistently in football and basketball. I think it would be great for all the schools. I have found all the grads of both TCU and SMU that I know and/or have worked with to be just fine. Who cares if they have more or less money? The stereotype of rich SMU and TCU kids is no more solid than the reputation that UNT kids are all poor. BS! I know both SMU and TCU grads that come from the same income levels as UNT grads I know. And, yes, i know some that come from upper income families as I know many UNT grads who come from upper income families. This who tired old crap is just that. But, it make for good theater...and while most private schools have kids for wealthy families they also have kids from poor and middle class families. The tuition, indeed, is higher, but many many scholarships are also offered.

The "inferiority" complex talk of some here is just NUTS. If you THINK you are inferior YOU ARE! I'll stack my two UNT degrees up against the degrees I have from other universities and I'll stack them up against any degree from any private school. They served me very well.

Someone already alluded to this fact, but IT IS NOT WHERE YOUR DEGREE IS FROM THAT MATTERS IN THE LONG RUN, IT IS WHAT YOU DO WITH IT THAT MATTERS.

And, in case you didn't realize it...you are in complete control of what you do with it.

Some just need to get over the SMU/TCU stuff and realize most of it is just folks trying to get under one's skins as they say...seems to be working with some around GMG.Com land. Don't let it bother you and the trolls generally stop appearing....

• Upvote 1

Every time the issue of TCU or SMU being a superior school to UNT comes up I smile and remember the time that my son and I stopped by the Saginaw Wal-Mart early one morning on our way up to the Lake. As we entered the store we were "greeted" by my son's old team mate at Boswell who had spent four years playing for TCU. I couldn't wait to tease my son's TCU-graduate fiance about that.

Look, who cares? Congrats to TCU for getting into the Big 12 and raising money to upgrade Amon Carter along the way.

But, TCU is what it is against real football schools - TCU. Hence, the losing record in the BIg 12 and going 3-6 over the final three months of the 2012 season. Once they were done with Grambling, Kansas, Virginia, and SMU, the chickens came home to roost.

TCU will forever be a 4- to 7- win school in the Big 12, with a majority of those wins coming OOC agains the likes of Gramblings, VIrginias, and SMUs.

2013 Frogs:

2013 TCU Football Schedule

Aug. 31 - vs. LSU - Certain Loss, 0-1

Sept. 7 - Southeastern Louisiana, Certain Win, 1-1

Sept. 14 - at Texas Tech, Flip a coin, 2-1 or 1-2

Sept. 28 - SMU, Certain Win, 3-1 or 2-2

Oct. 5 - at Oklahoma, Certain Loss, 3-2 or 2-3

Oct. 12 - Kansas, Certain Win, 4-2 or 3-3

Oct. 19 - at Oklahoma State, Certain Loss, 4-3 or 3-4

Oct. 26 - Texas, Probable Loss, 4-4 or 3-5

Nov. 2 - West Virginia, Flip a coin, 5-4 or 3-6

Nov. 9 - at Iowa State, Flip a coin, 6-4 or 3-7

Nov. 16 - at Kansas State, Certain Loss, 6-5 or 3-8

Nov. 30 - Baylor, Flip a coin, 7-5 or 3-9

There are four flip a coin games in there. I'll bet they split them 2-2 and finish the season at 5-7. Wow. The only real mystery is will Texas suck enough to lose to TCU again. Odds are the Longhorn offense will be as mismanaged as before; however, their defense is stronger.

This is exciting, brag-worthy football? I mean, to the extent that you'd waste time thumping your chest in a UNT football forum?

I will bet you $50 that TCU will have 8 or more wins this season not counting the bowl game. All the crap that went down last season will not happen again. They lost two starters in that stupid drug bust and then the starting QB for a DWI. The back up was not ready for the big show but still pulled out some great wins. Also, two of their best RBs also got hurt. One for most of the season and one for half. The QB is back and the team looks very solid. I will not bet more than $50, since I am not a rich man but I will bet the $50. You down?

I will bet you $50 that TCU will have 8 or more wins this season not counting the bowl game. All the crap that went down last season will not happen again. They lost two starters in that stupid drug bust and then the starting QB for a DWI. The back up was not ready for the big show but still pulled out some great wins. Also, two of their best RBs also got hurt. One for most of the season and one for half. The QB is back and the team looks very solid. I will not bet more than $50, since I am not a rich man but I will bet the $50. You down?

Just out of curiosity, on which individual games do you disagree with Fake? I thought, if anything, he was being a little on the charitable side on some of them.

Iowa State = Win. They lost many key players from last year. The ones they did keep are not that great. I was at the game last year and Boykin found out he was playing QB the day before. For two weeks he was working at RB. He had a horrible game and it still was pretty close.

Baylor = Win. I believe their QB play will be horrible compared to the last two years. Clearly worse than RG3. Plus no TCU alumni would pick TCU to lose to Baylor.

West Virginia = Def. Win! Some one please tell me what they have? Their QB is gone and their best other player Austin I believe was his name is also gone. There is not proof they have anything worth a darn for next year.

If Casey Pachall can stay out of Jail and stay healthy then the sky is the limit. The last two years I was a grad student there and I saw how great he is. Before he got kicked of the team to go to rehab, which was Coach Pattersons choice ( other schools have players get DWIs all the time and they miss one or a few games and are back on the field), he was having a fantastic start to the season. The SMU game was a monsoon. Everyone stop quoting stats from that. I am not sure why that game was not stopped. Conditions were horrible.

Also, it should be said I am a Mean Green fan before a TCU fan any day. I lived in Bruce hall at UNT and have gone to school there off and on for ten years. Now I am a grad student at UNT. So, I am not a homer fan for TCU. I only Homer UNT... Which UNT will have 8 wins this year! However, I will not bet on that. PS I do not feel like proof reading this. I have a paper due tonight. Enjoy. Also, my dad bought season tickets to TCU without telling me as a surprise for this season. Looks like I will have to miss two UNT games. I made it clear next year we are getting UNT season tickets and that is that. He has a man crush on the BIG12 for some reason. I guess he has such fond memories of the old SWC.

Edited by North Texas Shep