So a post in the "100 days till UGA" thread took me back to something I've thought about before. We've got the Alumni/ticket season/club level stuff, the student section, and usually an area for the visiting team's fans, and then the general admission area, right?

Well, what if there was a small segment reserved for "mixed parties"? Think about it for a minute. It's your home team, so you don't want to sit with the other team's fans...and though we're pretty nice (compared to certain other places one might play football), do a lot of people want to sit in home-heavy areas with their friends even if they're "for" the visiting team? And that's not a rhetorical question, because I haven't been in the situation thus far. So how is it, usually? If your friend or dad or brother went to the other school, do you just kind of say, "I'll go to my section, you go to yours, and I'll see you at halftime"? Or "hey, put on a UNT shirt so you can sit with me and nobody says anything"?

If this might actually be something worth pursuing, I wouldn't imagine there would be a huge need for it, maybe just a couple dozen seats or so. But I thought it might be interesting enough to try...a reserved area where friends and family from opposing schools can sit together without being surrounded by fans of the other team. It might even make a few people more likely to come to the game if they know there's an area where they can cheer for their team AND spend time with their friend who attends/attended/cheers for the other school.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

In Apogee's brief history, I know in the biggest games with strong visiting turnout - namely Indiana and Houston - that portions of the WingZone and Sections 114 & 115 underneath the smaller video board tend to become really mixed.

Not sure if this is by nature or mixed parties though.

• Upvote 1

All I know is that while watching Texas put a 65-0 whipping on us in '04, while sitting in the NT section, as halftime approached the pre-planned concourse visit with a very good friend of mine who is a UT alum became the most vomitous, dreaded experience I could imagine.

My hope is that regardless of the friendship, passion would be such at Apogee that the idea of crossing rooting boundaries during the game would be unappealing. Right now, not so much, but maybe down the road.

• Upvote 1

It's 2013, I think that it's time UNT embrace mixed seating.

If you're not tolerant of mixed seating, it's obvious that you are filled with hate. Where is the acceptance? Where is the love? Someone doesn't DECIDE to sit in mixed seating - they are BORN into it.

• Upvote 1

If you're not tolerant of mixed seating, it's obvious that you are filled with hate. Where is the acceptance? Where is the love? Someone doesn't DECIDE to sit in mixed seating - they are BORN into it.

Now that you've properly stretched you can do any athletic activity.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You want it to resemble the experiences at Clemson, K-State's, UL-L and LSU.... ALL GREEN and a very tiny quarter section of the opponent's supporters jammed tightly in with any band that they may bring..

NO to mixed seating.

Edited by DT 90
  • Upvote 5

You want it to resemble the experiences at Clemson, K-State's, UL-L and LSU.... ALL GREEN and a very tiny quarter section of the opponent's supporters jammed tightly in with any band that they may bring..

NO to mixed seating.

I agree DT90. Incidentally. a Kansas State fan commented to me on how well behaved our fans were while we were waiting for a Port O' Potty during the game at Fouts three years ago. I told him I appreciated it and then apologized for our restroom facilities.
  • Upvote 1