What does UNT’s roster look like now? A rundown

Harry

UNT has undergone some overhauls over the years in various programs.

Outside of the years in which teams have changed head coaches, the evolution of the UNT men’s basketball team this off-season might take the cake.

To review (deep breath):

Players returning
Jordan Williams — 14.2 points, 3.7 rebounds a game, 46 3s
Alzee Williams — 11.1 points, 3.4 rebounds a game
Chris Jones — 9.2 points a game, 74 assists
Keith Coleman — 1.3 points, 1.6 rebounds a game
Brandan Walton — Missed last season, 8.8 points a game in 2011-12 season

Additions
Division I transfers

Kelvin Gaines — Former Cincinnati forward is 6-10 and has high-end athletic talent
Vertrail Vaughns — Averaged 5.0 last season at George Mason as a combo guard
T.J. Taylor — Former Oklahoma signee who spent a short time at Marquette
Maurice Aniefiok — Former Ole Miss signee who sat out last season

JUCO transfers
Armani Flannigan — Athletic 6-8 forward who averaged 14.2 points and 6.6 rebounds a game at Central Wyoming State
Colin Voss — A tank of a 6-7 forward who was a JUCO All-American last season at Northern Oklahoma.

High school signees
Greg Wesley — A 6-7 forward and one of the top players in the state and a steal for UNT
Josh Friar — Freak 6-8 athlete who played sparingly in high school and could be a project type player

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/07/what-does-unts-roster-look-like-now-a-rundown.html/

People point to Benford as the main issue last year but what about this key point made by Brett?

Jacob Holmen — 5.6 points, 3.5 rebounds in 15 games
Justin Patton — 3.2 points, 1.7 rebounds in 19 games
Niko Stojiljkovic — 2.6 points, 2.4 rebounds a game

Lost to transfer
P.J. Hardwick — 3.7 points, 2.9 rebounds a game, 81 assists
Clarke Overlander 1.1 points a game

That's 5 guys who combined averaged 3.24 points and 2.32 boards a game....

I won't even delve into our starting point guards assist to turnover ratio...let's just say it isn't pretty...

Close to 40% of your entire roster averaged 3.24 points and 2.32 rebounds...

We got our ass handed to us by Monroe. Twice. There is no excuse for that. They played with just as many players as we did and none of which had another DI offer.

I'm Giving Benford a clean slate this year & I'm going in with high expectations , but he's on a short leash with me (and probably most fans ) I see no reason why we shouldn't expect to win 20+ games

I'll be there to support him & this team, but he has to produce wins this year. Another failed season & he deserves all the criticism thrown his way

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 5

We got our ass handed to us by Monroe. Twice. There is no excuse for that. They played with just as many players as we did and none of which had another DI offer.

I'm Giving Benford a clean slate this year & I'm going in with high expectations , but he's on a short leash with me (and probably most fans ) I see no reason why we shouldn't expect to win 20+ games

I'll be there to support him & this team, but he has to produce wins this year. Another failed season & he deserves all the criticism thrown his way

right there with ya

Amen.

• Upvote 1

For Benford I'd prefer a shock collar than a leash.
  • Upvote 1