Where'd you play high school football and when?

Harry

I'm thinking we have a fair amount of former high school gridiron peeps on here and was interested on where and when they played. So I'll start it out.

Played for Houston Memorial Mustangs, class of 85. I played linebacker and we had a very good team my junior year and then dropped off my senior year.

Coach was Wayne Hooks who later went on to be an assistant at Rice.

Played guard for Richardson High School in 1963 & 1964. We were 7-3 as a junior and 6-4 as a senior. Garland under Chuck Curtis won state both years. Billy Ray Atkins, a little All American at ACC was Head Coach. My line coach was Charlie Broom who later became the first head coach at Richardson Pierce. We had scholarship players from my senior team go to A & M, Arkansas,Texas Tech, New Mexico State (2), and North Texas(3). I had a feeler from Cincinnati but really wanted UNT who felt I did not have a big enough frame. Watching my high school teammates play in college that freshmen year was very difficult.

• Upvote 1

Danbury High School (Panthers) Color: Black/Gold

Danbury, Texas (SW of Houston in Brazoria County)

Lettered all 3 years on varsity....1966, 1967, 1968

Tri-captain, '68, All Dist. Safety

* My senior year was one of those good year/bad year kind of deals

The Good: My senior yr. we had the first winning season in about 4 years. 8 wins & 2 losses

The Bad: My HFC (Harold Humber), his wife (June) & 9 yo daughter (Gaye) were all 3 killed 2 mos. before my graduation

after they spent the day visiting the coach & his family over at Houston Alief.....Coach and family was one of those coach/teachers

you never forget because you loved them like family and I still think about all 3 of them to this day.

• Upvote 1

North Mesquite Stallions...graduated in 1978. In 1977 was named District 10-4A defensive player of the year as a 190lb noseguard. Went 5-5 my jr year. Several had us as favorites to win state with 17 returning starters for my sr year. We went 1-8-1....that season still haunts me. Had some small offers, because of my size. Decided to go the JUCO route...Henderson Co. Jr College (now Trinity Valley) in hope of putting on weight and transferring to Baylor. Was still too small and ended up going to East Central Oklahoma.

• Upvote 2

El Paso Coronado class of 1994. I played defensive end/Special Teams and received a football scholarship to North Texas from Matt Simon. Good times!

My wife played soccer at LD Bell in Bedford, then Michigan State soccer, then North Texas soccer.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1

Cameron Yoemen '79 ,'80, '81(13-1-1) OLB and OT. 3 A State Champions in '81 under Toby York

Texas A&M Aggies '84-'86 Walk on through try-outs, The 12th Man Kick Off Team under Jackie Sherrill. 2 SWC Championships, 2 Cotton Bowls ('86 Auburn, '87 Ohio State)

• Upvote 1

Danbury High School (Panthers) Color: Black/Gold

Danbury, Texas (SW of Houston in Brazoria County)

Lettered all 3 years on varsity....1966, 1967, 1968

Tri-captain, '68, All Dist. Safety

* My senior year was one of those good year/bad year kind of deals

The Good: My senior yr. we had the first winning season in about 4 years. 8 wins & 2 losses

The Bad: My HFC (Harold Humber), his wife (June) & 9 yo daughter (Gaye) were all 3 killed 2 mos. before my graduation

after they spent the day visiting the coach & his family over at Houston Alief.....Coach and family was one of those coach/teachers

you never forget because you loved them like family and I still think about all 3 of them to this day.

Plumm that post made me want to get home and hold my wife and kids.

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 2

North Mesquite Stallions...graduated in 1978. In 1977 was named District 10-4A defensive player of the year as a 190lb noseguard. Went 5-5 my jr year. Several had us as favorites to win state with 17 returning starters for my sr year. We went 1-8-1....that season still haunts me. Had some small offers, because of my size. Decided to go the JUCO route...Henderson Co. Jr College (now Trinity Valley) in hope of putting on weight and transferring to Baylor. Was still too small and ended up going to East Central Oklahoma.

GO STALLIONS! I also played football at North Mesquite, 96-2000. 96 we were number one in the nation, but lost to the Fight'n Farmers (who went on to win state). We beat Odessa Permian in Mesquite, at Memorial Stadium and then kicked the crap out of them in Odessa the next year. I was on varsity as a sophomore ( on two people on the team were sophomore). Played middle and outside linebacker. Sadly, I herniated three disk in my back the summer before my Junior year. After both the preseason games I had to quit forever.... My dad still has letters from all kinds of schools inquiring about me. None really got to offer me anything on paper because of my age but I did talk to a few college coaches. Got a lot of letter from Nebraska, Syracuse, Kansas State, New Mexico State, and SFA. After I had to stop playing I stayed on the team and helped the coaches out. It was nice of them to let me stay a part of the team I loved. Since then I have had 5 back surgeries. Glad I stopped playing when they told me to. Could be a lot worse.

• Upvote 3

Beaumont West Brook

Class of 2009

OLB and DE with some work on Special Teams.

You're from Beaumont? Explains a lot. Anyway, played junior high and two years of high school JV at Keller HS and Clear Creek HS in League City, TX s a WR and CB. Not built for football, wasn't good, but fast so I caught a few big passes. Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

I was a 5'7 145 soaking wet center at Jefferson High School. Jefferson is now 2A, but we were 3A my junior year. I also was subbed in on the defensive line for the occasional pass rush. I was name to the schools all platinum team which had the schools top players for the past 25 years. It surprised the hell out of me when I got named to it. Two NFL linemen from my school (Bobby Williams and Montrae Holland) were also named to the "all platinum team". I made all district my junior year. We were ranked number 1 in 2A at one point my senior year. I chipped my tooth against LaMichael James' high school my junior year. I tore my ACL while making a bad cut against Kendall Wright on a punt my senior year. We got knocked out of the playoffs by Tatum my junior and senior year in the second round of the playoffs. They won state both years in 3A and 2A. They had Lennon Creer (played at Tenneseee and La Tech) and Bryce Beall (Houston) in their backfield. If the running game wasn't killing us, they would pass the ball to Denarius Moore (Tennesee and current Oakland Raider). Class of 2007

• Upvote 1

Arlington Martin class of 2011. Played four years. Junior year alternated between JV and varsity but got to see some snaps on Friday nights a few times. Started at center my senior year and we were 10-3 with an undefeated district championship. Unfortunately lost to Euless Trinity in the third round both my Junior and Senior year. Luckily my buddies in the class after me, including Trussell and Haboul, got revenge for us and beat them the year after I graduated.

I was privileged to play with 6 guys who earned D1 scholarships in my class and 8 guys the next year including a couple members of our beloved Mean Green. I was too small to play college football but luckily I had good grades and a good SAT score so UNT gave me a nice little academic scholly, and I'm getting to play club baseball here.

• Upvote 3

I played at Plano East, class of 1989. I missed my junior year in '87 with a knee injury. I played left defensive end my senior year in '88 and was first team all district and my teammates voted me defensive player of the year. I still have a little trophy somewhere. College was out of the question due to my knee and lack of size for a defensive lineman.

My senior year we went 9-1 to win district. In the process we beat Plano 26-0 when there were coming off a state championship season. In the first round we had to play Dallas Carter because for some reason they didn't win their district. This is the same Dallas Carter team with Jesse Armstead that ran into all the legal issues. In fact, they are the team that beat Permian in Friday Night Lights.

All week we prepared for Dallas Carter and the night before the game Dallas Carter is kicked out due to a grade scandal. The next day a judge puts Dallas Carter back in. We were tied at 7-7 with four minutes left but because there was no OT back then we were losing due to some tie breaker. We started blitzing to get the ball back and they popped a touchdown. Then we were really pressing and they scored again to make the final score 21-7.

But there was still the grade scandal and no one knew if Dallas Carter would be kicked out. We continued to practice three days after the game in case Carter got kicked out. We had all the local TV crews at our school. There was a still-shot of our defense (and me) every night on the local news as they talked about the situation. I had my picture on the front page of the Dallas Times Herald coming out of our locker room.

The middle of the next week we had a team meeting and our coach said that the UIL had kicked Dallas Carter was out and we were back in. He then went to the office to get a phone call and came back a few minutes later to say Dallas Carter was back in and we were done (a judge had overruled the UIL).

That Dallas Carter team eventually won the state championship but had it taken away. They had several players thrown into jail for doing stupid things. The entire situation is not something high school kids should go have to go through. Dallas Carter was loaded that year and had us outclassed with athletes. However, we could and did play with them and would have played them to OT if it existed back in that day. It's just a shame there was all the legal wranglings going on around the game.

• Upvote 1