Maurice Aniefiok enrolls (updated with complete story)

Harry

When Tony Benford looked back on his first season at North Texas, he saw two areas where the Mean Green needed to improve — shooting and the ability of individual players to create for their teammates.

Benford felt like he took one final step toward addressing both concerns on Tuesday when former Ole Miss guard Maurice Aniefiok enrolled at UNT and became the last addition to the Mean Green’s 2013-14 roster.

The 6-foot-5 former Huntington (W.Va.) Prep standout spent one year with the Rebels in 2011-12 season, when he averaged 1.4 points a game.

Aniefiok left Ole Miss and enrolled at Collin County Community College last season but did not play. He will have three years of eligibility remaining with UNT beginning this fall.

Aniefiok completed his two-year degree at Collin County.

“He’s a great addition,” Benford said. “We recruited him a little while I was at Marquette. He is a good all-around player who can play the one [point guard] through the four [power forward] because he has good size. He can really shoot the ball and create for himself and his teammates.”

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/07/maurice-aneifolk-enrolls.html/

Admins can't have opinions?

I may be off base, but Admins opinions are something they should have on their own and not voiced through an official channel that can be construed as being supported or with the blessing of the website .. hard to cater the view of an unbiased website one way or another if you allow someone who is directly involved in the website to have opinions that can strongly sway fans one way or another. It hurts the business model long-term if a board swings too far one way or another and moderation is a key part in all of that.

Edited by laxtonto
  • Upvote 4

I may be off base, but Admins opinions are something they should have on their own and not voiced through an official channel that can be construed as being supported or with the blessing of the website .. hard to cater the view of an unbiased website one way or another if you allow someone who is directly involved in the website to have opinions that can strongly sway fans one way or another. It hurts the business model long-term if a board swings too far one way or another and moderation is a key part in all of that.

I see that point of view, but I think it would be unfair to castrate one of the most dynamic posters on this board (even moreso prior to his elevation) because he is an admin now. It's not like he's starting all of his posts with, "I have decreed that all of GMG.com shall hereby believe..."

I think that argument is just something that's thrown out there when someone disagrees with his opinion. Harry has opinions. I think Harry is very judicious, and a fantastic board CEO. There are a myriad of reasons why this board is so awesome. TTG is one of them.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if Lifer is reading in some unintended subtext... I saw the quote and immediately thought that if I were ranking the top 2 problems from last season, they'd start and end with the man making the assessment.

So, in the proud tradition of Simpsons photos... Went with Homer totally deluded about his own image and tacked on the "Man in the Mirror" line about changing yourself first.

For the record, I hope Benford wins big, immediately, and gets the hell out of here as quickly as possible. My problems with him has "20 loss season" maybe 4th or 5th on the list.

And as far as me being castrated... Too late. Been married a few years now.

Laxtonto == I understand your position on this, however I want the moderators on here to have opinions; otherwise we would lose the voices of some of our most passionate and loyal fans. TTG is representative of a fairly good number of fans who were disappointed with the direction that was taken in basketball last season. I happen to disagree with that opinion although I wasn't happy at all about last season...who could be? I've made my feelings known here as does he. So I think it equals out. TTG brings his trademark humor and a heck of a lot of basketball knowledge and insight in here and it would be a crime to take that away. This site has been and always been about opinions and I think the moderators do a fantastic job keeping the trains running in a fair way but also being a part. My goal is that both sides have an uncensored voice here. I believe we can disagree about things in a civil way. GMG!

Also, moderating the forum actually does moderate my posting. Otherwise, I'd have recommended Benford pursue a job in refereeing minor league Brazilian soccer.

Is there still a Division III world of sports? So many things have changed, I'm just not sure what to call it anymore.

At what point did this place become a business or an unbiased website?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4

Laxtonto == I understand your position on this, however I want the moderators on here to have opinions; otherwise we would lose the voices of some of our most passionate and loyal fans. TTG is representative of a fairly good number of fans who were disappointed with the direction that was taken in basketball last season. I happen to disagree with that opinion although I wasn't happy at all about last season...who could be? I've made my feelings known here as does he. So I think it equals out. TTG brings his trademark humor and a heck of a lot of basketball knowledge and insight in here and it would be a crime to take that away. This site has been and always been about opinions and I think the moderators do a fantastic job keeping the trains running in a fair way but also being a part. My goal is that both sides have an uncensored voice here. I believe we can disagree about things in a civil way. GMG!

I agree with Harry here. However, if admins are going to post they should be held to the same +/- rating thing that everyone else is or the rating thing should be eliminated. Going to post...take your chances like the rest of us mere mortals.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Tasty has been VERY restrained in his comments about Benford.

It's an opinion board, people.

I had that big, big post about Hopkins in November, and then I barely wrote anything on the basketball forum until the Brady incident (and those were mostly about other coaches who were suspended or fined for on-court misbehavior). Even the posts I did make in that 3 month period were mostly in LSU/Johnny threads, or about Old Dominion firing their coach.

For the most part, I have kept my opinions to myself. And, frankly, I think that has led a lot of people to misunderstand or misrepresent the problems I have with Benford coaching our team and representing our school.