ESPN Analyst compares Aniefiok to Mitch Richmond

Harry

Ole Miss bolstered the future of its basketball program by signing 6-foot-5, 215-pound guard Maurice Aniefiok to a national letter of intent on Thursday.

Aniefiok, a native of Nigeria, attended Huntington (W. Va.) Prep last year and averaged 13.7 points per game and 6.6 rebounds per contest while shooting 41 percent from 3-point range.

Rated a three-star prospect, he chose the Rebels over Rutgers, USC, Indiana, James Madison, Arizona State and Duquesne.

“During this time of year when there are not a lot of high level players still on the board, Ole Miss won a big time recruiting battle when they received a commitment from one of the top remaining players available,” said Mike LaPlante, a basketball recruiting analyst for ESPN. “Andy Kennedy must be excited to have secured the services of Maurice Aniefiok who, because of his physical attributes combined with his ability to shoot the ball, has drawn favorable comparisons to former NBA scorer Mitch Richmond.”

http://oxfordeagle.com/2011/04/ole-miss-men%E2%80%99s-hoops-squad-adds-aniefiok-to-signing-class/

Maurice Aniefiok, a 6-foot-5, 205-pound combo guard originally from Nigeria, will sign his Letter of Intent today with Ole Miss.

Aniefiok, who plays at Huntington (WV) Prep, chose Ole Miss over James Madison and Duquesne. He also visited Rutgers last weekend and impressed the coaching staff and the players.

“After so much consideration and praying, I just found out that that’s where my heart really wants to be,” Aniefiok said of Ole Miss by text.

Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy recruited Aniefiok himself, which made an impression on the young man.

Aniefiok considers himself more of a combo guard and a scorer than a point guard.

“I’m combo player,” he said. “I can score, I can rebound, I can hustle, I can pass the ball, just everything from mid-range shots to 3-pointers. Tip it in, just dunk.

“A LeBron James, Dwyane Wade kind of game.”

Huntington coach Rob Fulford said of Aniefiok earlier: “He’s a high-major player.

“He’s a scorer,” Fulford said. “He’s physical, he can score. He really can shoot it and defend. He’s a big kid, physically imposing right now.”

Read more: http://zagsblog.com/articles/aniefiok-to-ole-miss/#more-51481