Lundy to leave UNT to become head coach

Harry

gallery_1_2_3195.jpg

Bart Lundy turned down one opportunity to become a head coach again this offseason to stay with longtime friend Tony Benford at North Texas.

The second chance Lundy received was far too tempting for him and his family to pass up.

Lundy confirmed Monday night that he will be named the head coach at Queens, a Division II school in Charlotte, N.C., this week.

Lundy launched his career as a head coach at Queens in 1998 and posted a 115-41 record in five seasons before jumping to Division I High Point.

Lundy has four children ages 8 to 16 who live part time in High Point, N.C., which is just over an hour’s drive from Charlotte.

Lundy turned down a chance to become the head coach at Clayton State in Morrow, Ga., just a few weeks ago.

“It had to be the right fit,” Lundy said. “I was less concerned about coaching in Division I or Division II than I was in getting closer to my boys. I worked for the president and the athletic director at Queens.”

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20130701-men-s-basketball-lundy-to-leave-unt-to-become-head-coach.ece