Thinking outside the box: 4th of July @Apogee

Harry

OK so we agree that there will be thousands at the Apogee fireworks show and it is a big chunk of UNT's target audience as Vito stated in his article...

The video is fantastic and will leave an impression to some. But will it be enough?

It got me to thinking what else could be done at this and other large events being held in and around Denton?

Could you have a one page flyer to put on the cars? Perhaps a table with a few cheerleaders or players who happen to be in town? I realize this is last minute but I think that there will be other large events where these types of strategies could be used. Plus it's the middle of summer and things are fairly slow!

Any other ideas or thoughts outside the box on this?

I think those of you in town should call and ask what else is being done, if they need volunteers, etc. And if there's not much else going on, see if they'll let you organize something outside the stadium on your own. I still think that any time we as alumni or supporters feel like there can be a little extra done, if we can we should try to bridge that gap ourselves if there doesn't seem to be any movement from the staff or admin. Complaining (even when you're right) is reactive, but jumping in and doing it yourself is proactive. Lots of great things start when it looks like it's not "part of the plan" and you get it rolling on your own. Even if it's not huge, if it's done well, a lot of times it will later be co-opted into the official plan for events and such. You may not get any credit for starting it, but knowing that you achieved your purpose in getting more done is pretty rewarding in and of itself.

• Upvote 1

OK so we agree that there will be thousands at the Apogee fireworks show and it is a big chunk of UNT's target audience as Vito stated in his article...

The video is fantastic and will leave an impression to some. But will it be enough?

It got me to thinking what else could be done at this and other large events being held in and around Denton?

Could you have a one page flyer to put on the cars? Perhaps a table with a few cheerleaders or players who happen to be in town? I realize this is last minute but I think that there will be other large events where these types of strategies could be used. Plus it's the middle of summer and things are fairly slow!

Any other ideas or thoughts outside the box on this?

Show some clips from the games, with some crowds and tailgating, etc...people who haven't been can see what it is like...seems like this is a must do.

• Upvote 1

Man I'm even thinking maybe some free wing seats to the Idaho game? Give us your email address and we will send you a free ticket voucher. For those who do it offer them a remainder of the season discount package or something like that. I know that will diminish the gate receipts but we need to fill up the stadium.

Not sure about exactly where they are shooting them off, but you can't be on the field === here's the press release:

Thursday, July 4, 2013

KIWANIS FIREWORKS SHOW!

It's Denton County's most spectacular night, and has been for over forty years! This year we will move to UNT's beautiful new Apogee Stadium, so come on out for live music by The Dirty Pesos and George Dunham and the Birddogs, followed by an awesome array of fireworks that light up the sky. The event is FREE, but donations are gladly accepted by our energetic "Bucket Brigade" before, during, and after the show. Parking at Apogee Stadium starts at $5/vehicle, parking at Fouts Field is FREE! Gates open at 5:30 p.m., music begins at 6:30.

New rules for guests at Apogee Stadium:

Please note and respect the following rules for our use of the beautiful new facility: No outside food or drinks other than bottled water. No coolers. No alcohol. No smoking. Please do not bring lawn chairs, as no one is allowed on the field. Bounce houses will be provided for children to work off energy prior to the fireworks show.

Let's keep Apogee Stadium looking clean and new!

Be sure to thank the following for sponsoring the event:
Presenting Sponsor: City of Denton
Red, White & Blue Sponsors: GEICO, Sonic Drive-In, The Wash Factory, James Wood AutoPark, Mean Green Athletics.
Patriot Sponsors: Texas Health Presbyterian Denton, Golden Triangle Mall, Budweiser, Denton Record-Chronicle, HD Supply/White Cap Construction Supply.
All-American Sponsors: First State Bank, Pecan Creek Pediatrics, North Texas State Fair & Rodeo, NorthStar Bank.
Old Glory Sponsors: Access Bank, Huffines, Adams Exterminating, Movie Tavern.

Does anyone know exactly where they are shooting off fireworks? We will be on the hill tailgating for fireworks! See you there.

I thought I read somewhere they will be shot off from that large pond area south of where the Radisson used to be. I stand to be corrected, though.

Show some of the best plays in Mean Green history on the jumbotron. One of my favorites is when Brandon Kennedy turns a sommer-sault over the MTSU QB and ends up with the football. Of course, last Fall's nationally televised ESPN game at Apogee with Jim-Jim's super long run will receive nice applause inside our accoustically alive football stadium!

You go to the cinema and easily sit for 15 minutes and all you get is one commercial over another. I think the 4'th of July crowd at Apogee would like to see something on the jumbtron since the fireworks won't start till a little after 9:00 PM.

I wonder what they estimate the crowd will be albeit many will be outside the stadium I presume?

Question: Will Apogee's concession areas be open for business?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Question: Will Apogee's concession areas be open for business?

GMG!

I would think they are opening the concessions cause they aren't allowing outside food or drinks other than water:

New rules for guests at Apogee Stadium:

Please note and respect the following rules for our use of the beautiful new facility: No outside food or drinks other than bottled water. No coolers. No alcohol. No smoking. Please do not bring lawn chairs, as no one is allowed on the field. Bounce houses will be provided for children to work off energy prior to the fireworks show. Let's keep Apogee Stadium looking clean and new!