La. Tech officially joins C-USA

Harry

Louisiana Tech will launch one of the most important weeks in school history Monday when it welcomes a new president, a new athletic conference and kicks off a country-wide search for a new athletic director.

Itll be a largely subdued celebration in Ruston today when Dr. Les Guice officially takes over the universitys reins from longtime president Dr. Dan Reneau. Tech also officially joins Conference USA today in a move supporters hope will continue moving its sports programs forward.

I dont know if this is the biggest week in school history, but it certainly is a big week for me, Guice said. In addition to the moves in athletics, we also are completing our budget and planning for the coming year.

Joining the new football league has been anticipated since the WAC began losing members midway through Techs decade-long membership in the far-flung league. The WAC was heralded as the best thing since peaches in Ruston when Tech joined it in 2001, because it afforded separation from its Sun Belt brethren, while affording some regional rivalries. The same could be said of C-USA.

I think its great because you can travel to San Antonio or Dallas for games, and it will save (Tech) money, said Shreveporter Cynthia (Aillet) Pettiette. Hopefully it will increase the fan base. I dont know if I see any downs about it at this point.

C-USA officials welcomed Tech with a full page ad in todays Times, saying Were Proud to Play with La. Tech. Logos of the 16 league members for 2013-14 were included in the ad, along with the slogan C-USA, A History of Greats Whos Next.

Read more: http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20130701/SPORTS0203/307010010/La-Tech-officially-joins-C-USA?nclick_check=1