Lock the Gate review

jdennis82

As I scan the landscape of college football, I can't help but notice that the programs from outside the Big 5 conferences who are making steady strides and creating consistent buzz are those that are typically viewed as progressive and modern in their culture.

In the mind of recruits, I see two main areas where NT is lacking in this regard: uniforms & twitter

In both cases, I think the personality of our head coach is a detriment to the program as "traditional" would be a better description than "innovative."

So, I ask, would moving Chico to HC have been better than Coach Mac?

I see him as one who would've embraced a more modern approach in these areas which have shown to infuse programs with buzz in the recruiting world.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I would expand on twitter and just include all social media. Facebook is just as important.

UNT also needs a rep to update the scout and rivals pages. recruits google thier names and they look for articles. Schools will have beat writers contacting recruits and asking for updates about the recruiting process.

Twitter and Facebook is used a lot and that is a big area that UNT has to improve on. I doubt if Mac is telling his staff they cannot use this. I think it is just lack of experience and not keeping up with the times. The head coach is not going to be doing that kind of contact. It will be the position coaches, GAs, scout reps, 247 reps, rivals reps, etc that are hitting the recruits up on social media. Before the games, telling them good luck. After the game to see how it went. There should be some contact at least twice per week. Even during no contact periods, social media is being used. Fans also create lots if hype for the team on social media. It shows you have a great fan base.

Theres other things that can be improved on too. Uniforms are horrible. Especially the helmet. Improve the helmet the rest may be acceptable.

Gameday experience on visits need improvement.

With all this being said, in order to compete with TCU, SMU, Tech, UH, Baylor, etc for three star recruits, nothing will help more thsn winning 6 or more games.

I feel improving social media,uniforms, etc will only make a difference against the smaller schools like UTSA, TX state, La Tech, Rice etc.

• Upvote 2

North Texas problems right now I don't think are HFC related; they seem to be more related to this: Are a few of our assistant football coaches not selling UNT and Apogee to the fullest extent for what should be positive recruiting results? Year 3 for Coach Mac will answer much of that question.

I think Coach Mac's background with experience as an NCAA FBS level head football coach even at Iowa State with several bowl appearances while there ;and that at a school which may have had as tough a football history as Kansas State's may have been what clinched the UNT job for McCarney. His being a product of the Hayden Fry Coach's Tree didn't hurt his chances, either, at UNT.

Seems most schools still usually go outside a program that has been a perennially losing program to get a new head football coach.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

2-3 record.

Win: @WKU 33-6

Loss: Troy 41-35

Win: @MTSU 23-17

Loss: @ULM 37-49

Loss: Kansas St 41-49

Lock the Gate!

One day a school will make Chico a HC, and that will be the best decision that school will make.

GMG!

Actually, I agree. If Chico had been at USM, UH or even La Tech the last few years, he would probably already have that HFC's gig.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

You do realize that UNT was lauded by several coaching websites regarding their very progressive use of FaceBook don't you? Or does that not fit into your McCarny is not hip enough narrative?

Social media is not the real problem. The real problem is fan support and sustained success. Those dictate talent and in turn drive recruiting