C-USA to welcome 8 newcomers

Harry

HUNTINGTON July 1, 2013, marks a new beginning for Conference USA.

Eight established members are officially joined Monday by eight newcomers in the new C-USA alignment.

Marshall, East Carolina, Rice, Southern Miss, Tulane, Tulsa, UAB and UTEP welcome Charlotte, Florida International, Florida Atlantic, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee State, North Texas, Old Dominion and UT-San Antonio to the league.

Were really excited at Marshall with our new members coming in, Thundering Herd mens basketball head coach Tom Herrion said in a video clip on ConferenceUSA.com. I think its the first time our fan base has felt so energized because of the regional games the new membership provides to our fan base.

I think its so valuable to us and its only going to enhance our enthusiasm for Conference USA.

Old Dominion and Charlotte will compete in all C-USA sports this year except football. The Monarchs and 49ers are schools in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) the level formerly known as NCAA Division I-AA until moving up to the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) level and entering C-USA competition in 2014 and 2015 respectively.