Pistons draft Tony Mitchell (Vito Story)

Harry

Former North Texas standout Tony Mitchell sat in the seats at Barclays Center in Brooklyn on Thursday night, waiting to carve out a niche in Mean Green history at the NBA draft.

Mitchell did just that. He just had to wait a lot longer than most analysts projected.

Mitchell was expected to be selected in the first round, but he slid all the way to the seventh pick of the second round, where the Detroit Pistons snapped him up.

Despite dropping into the second round, Mitchell, a 6-9 forward, was selected higher than any player in UNT history. Kenneth Lyons was the 23rd pick of the second round in the 1983 draft and was UNT’s highest selection before Mitchell.

John Horrocks was picked by the Mavericks in the fourth round of the 1984 draft and was the last UNT player selected before Mitchell, who was accompanied to the draft by head coach Tony Benford.

Mitchell’s teammates, UNT fans and the team’s assistant coaches gathered at Treehouse Bar & Grill in Denton to watch the draft on television.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20130628-men-s-basketball-pistons-draft-mitchell.ece

Need to remember that several projected first-round picks fell due to teams taking a lot of foreign players in the first round. They get the rights to the players but don't have to bring them into the NBA (or pay them) until the players develop and the teams are ready for them.

• Upvote 1

Interesting, that for so much perceived ill feeling, Benford was with him in New York. Could it be their relationship was not as fractured as some thought.

Tony stayed because of Benford. Benford is like a father to him and a lot of players. Je is a great man amd will improve as a coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Wow pretty rough prediction but to the author's credit he backs it up with some facts. Yes San Antonio would have been a great place for Tony to land and I thought that the night of the draft when they picked. Thanks for finding this and posting it here. Also nice first contribution and welcome to the site. GMG!

Oh nonsense! There is a basketball analyst who uses this cite who is an expert at everything basketball, and he says Tony is the best of the best. I believe his screen name is NT90. I think he knows more than these coaches and scouts, and college basketball analysts....

Still contrary to this article I think he makes the 12 man roster and gets some good play time (assuming Josh Smith does not sign with Detroit... Which I am not sure why he would. He needs to go to a contender not a rebuilding team at this point inn his career).

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Oh nonsense! There is a basketball analyst who uses this cite who is an expert at everything basketball, and he says Tony is the best of the best. I believe his screen name is NT90. I think he knows more than these coaches and scouts, and college basketball analysts....

Still contrary to this article I think he makes the 12 man roster and gets some good play time (assuming Josh Smith does not sign with Detroit... Which I am not sure why he would. He needs to go to a contender not a rebuilding team at this point inn his career).

NT Daily writer moonlighting with a blog from some TCU dudes needing traffic vs. UNT90.

It's a tough matchup I wouldn't want to handicap, but I could see how the large number of skins of the wall of both the writer and 90 could be pretty awe-worthy to you.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1