• Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
Harry

CBS Time Machine: 2001

Format: The championship game was the Rose Bowl. The regular Rose Bowl wasn't played. Illinois fans were not very happy about it.

Number of bowls: 25. New bowls: New Orleans. Also, the Oahu Bowl moved to Seattle and became the Seattle Bowl, and the Aloha Bowl took the year off.

Number of Division I-A teams: 117. New schools: South Florida and Troy (independent)

Conference realignment: The Big West disbanded, and the Sun Belt started up. The initial members of the Sun Belt were Arkansas State, Idaho, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, Middle Tennessee State, New Mexico State and North Texas. Also, Utah State became an independent, Boise State and Louisiana Tech joined the WAC, and TCU signed up with Conference USA.

Read more: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/jerry-palm/22514237/the-bcs-era-in-2001-controversy-over-who-plays-miami

I feel like we could almost look at last year and just see how quickly things can change.

Loved the post.

Reminds me of the meeting with Dr Pohl when we were moving into the Sun Belt. He felt like it was a conference we could dominate and we actually did for four years.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Harry
      “In every key indicator that can be used to evaluate the strength of a conference, the Sun Belt has risen in recent years,” Benson said. “In contrast to some leagues, our attendance is up and we’ve provided record end-of-year distribution to our schools that is 10 times greater that it was in 2014.”
      n 2013, the Sun Belt Conference – along with a few other conferences – were forced to make drastic changes in their alignment. The Sun Belt lost Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Middle Tennessee State, Western Kentucky and North Texas.
      In 2014, the Sun Belt went into action, bringing in five new teams including Georgia Southern, Texas State, Appalachian State and Georgia State to fill the void.
      Over the next few seasons, the Sun Belt was widely believed to be towards the bottom of the “group of five” Conferences, which includes the Conference USA, American, Mid-American and Mountain West conferences in addition to the Sun Belt. That is no longer the case. Benson believes the conference has quickly climbed the ranks within the Group of Five.
      “The Sun Belt was labeled so long at the bottom of the 10 conferences and that is no longer the case,” Benson said. “We’ve established the brand, established the credibility. As we compete with our four peer conferences, our goal remains the same: to be the highest-rated league in the group of five and send our team to one of the New Year’s Day games. There’s no reason we can’t do that and do it this year.”
      read more: 
      https://www.troymessenger.com/2018/07/24/the-sun-belt-conference-continues-to-rise-within-the-group-of-five/

• By MrStrange18
      Just heard one of the hosts do a commercial spot promoting the start of Bowl watching season by heading up to the NO Bowl watching party in Denton. 
      He even ended the promo with a "CAW!" Love hearing local guys talking about THEIR school with pride. 
      GMG!
    • By MattMakesLoans
      We've got a really good list going of things to do, but there are also some things to avoid.  New Orleans has very weird hustle culture, with an ever churning group trying to run various scams.   At first it might seem fun to give a guy a dollar for a classic joke, but you quickly get noted as a mark and the hustle can quickly move from fun to intimidating to a crime.
      Street Hustles.
      "Know where you get dem' shoes?"
      "I bet I can spell your first name"
      "Let me shine those shoes"
      "Hold this hat"
      "Party Police"
      "I'm just trying to get some food" "I'm trying to get home" "The shelter is full tonight"
      Wastes of Money
      "Weed pops" 
      "Any Ministry" or "non-profit"  "kids in the same color shirt with donation buckets"

• Who's Online   22 Members, 4 Anonymous, 69 Guests (See full list)

• Images

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.