Looking at UNT’s hoops roster (Benford: Everyone will be back)

Harry

Following the addition of Kelvin Gaines to UNT’s roster yesterday, I started taking a look at the Mean Green’s roster for next season and doing the math.

UNT has six scholarship players set to return:

Keith Coleman, Chris Jones, Jordan Williams, T.J. Taylor, Alzee Williams and Brandan Walton.

To that group UNT has added:

Kelvin Gaines, Vertrail Vaughns, Collin Voss, Armani Flannigan, Tony Nunn, Josh Friar and Greg Wesley.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/06/looking-at-unts-hoops-roster-benford-everyone-will-be-back.html/

What he said pretty much confirms that one or two current players will be leaving. Basically, he just indicated that nothing is official yet, so they are all "set" to return right now. Meanwhile he is publically admitting that he is already searching for their replacements. He wouldn't make those comments if the one or two players in question weren't already 99% out the door.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Unless someone is definitely out, I don't think he should even be commenting on this. If something happens it happens, but why play it out through the media?

Agree 100%. What if he isn't sure? I think it's smart of him to not play his cards in this case. I can envision him trying to work out the details of a star player who would transfer here and until he KNOWS that said player is a done deal it does him no good to announce it to the public. There could be a player we are bringing in or on the roster who is not healthy enough to play or wants a change of scenery. How for instance do we know that Cronin at Cincy didn't orchestrate this entire Gaines transfer for his own teams benefit? This stuff is very fluid and making concrete statements regarding the roster is dicey.

when was the last time someone has heard about nunn in any capacity from the staff? at the coach's caravan that i went to wesley and friar were mentioned, but nunn wasn't. maybe he's the one that won't make it?

Exactly what I was thinking.

• Upvote 1

Agree 100%. What if he isn't sure? I think it's smart of him to not play his cards in this case. I can envision him trying to work out the details of a star player who would transfer here and until he KNOWS that said player is a done deal it does him no good to announce it to the public. There could be a player we are bringing in or on the roster who is not healthy enough to play or wants a change of scenery. How for instance do we know that Cronin at Cincy didn't orchestrate this entire Gaines transfer for his own teams benefit? This stuff is very fluid and making concrete statements regarding the roster is dicey.

If that were the case he should tell vito no comment at all, and not say that everyone will be back or anything of the sort, he should just say "no comment".

Reminds somehow of RV who says that the 2015 FB schedule will have 6 home games, but does not talk about which of the 3 OOC away games he thinks about getting rid of. Something's gotta give.

Edited by outoftown

I am fine if we friar or Nunn do not show... If we replace them both I will not fret. If they do come on board next season I also hope that they shows us something great. Either way this is no big deal.... even if it is Alzee. Please explain how you know he was a stand up person? Where any of you in Motzart? I am not saying that this is Alzee but there have been issues for the past 10 years with players from the program. Not just having kids but doing things that are quite frankly not allowed by law.... Or harassing other people in Motzart. I a. Sure this could Lso happens tih any college student but the word stand up guy should really be reserved for the best of the best. Alonozo Edwards would be considered the last true stand up guy that comes to mind on the team.

Roger Franklin might have something to say about that.

He could be on the short list but he roomed with some people from my church and did not make it out many Sunday's. Alonzo went to both DBC and the village and would never miss a service. Always gave to others and was passionate about making others better. In the little I knew about Roger from the people he lived with it is hard to determine everything he has done but he was not always out giving to others from what I have heard. Volunteering his time for God and the community. Alonzo even has a whole podcast that I think many of you would like to follow if I can find it again. (he does not do it really anymore)

Going by how many church services one attends is usually how I judge people too.

• Upvote 1

If this situation produces wins nobody will give two _____ about how it all plays out. While the team is in perceived dumpster status, we will rummage and find every detail to reinforce our negativity. The only thing that is certain in basketball is that nothing will go as planned. If this recruiting class pans out, "Way to go Benford". If it doesn't, "F that guy". If Benford was winning (I know, I know, he sucks) people would look at the roster predicament and think that Benford knows what is best, is only doing what it takes to win, and surely everything will work out for these kids in the end. Blah blah blah. Something about hindsight and perception.

If this situation produces wins nobody will give two _____ about how it all plays out. While the team is in perceived dumpster status, we will rummage and find every detail to reinforce our negativity. The only thing that is certain in basketball is that nothing will go as planned. If this recruiting class pans out, "Way to go Benford". If it doesn't, "F that guy". If Benford was winning (I know, I know, he sucks) people would look at the roster predicament and think that Benford knows what is best, is only doing what it takes to win, and surely everything will work out for these kids in the end. Blah blah blah. Something about hindsight and perception.

What is certain is that we have the same coach that will panic every time a player makes a mistake, turn frantically toward the bench, point at one player, change his mind, point and another player, and send that player into the game. When the guilty player exits, said guilty player will stare at the floor or up into the crowd as he gets an earful from a coach that barely let said player play 2 minutes before pulling him from the game.

I'm not all that impressed by the additions to the team. I'm less impressed because I know who will be coaching them. There is a zero percent chance that UNT gets the best out of them.

And that is sad.

By the way:

< 10 wins. That's foresight, not hindsight.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

< 10 wins. That's foresight, not hindsight.

My point was that the recruiting class can only be judged in hindsight. Perception of the team at the end of the season will dictate the value of this class. If your predictions are correct, you can claim that you had foresight at this time. But we will have to wait until that time.

• Upvote 3

My point was that the recruiting class can only be judged in hindsight. Perception of the team at the end of the season will dictate the value of this class. If your predictions are correct, you can claim that you had foresight at this time. But we will have to wait until that time.

Hope I'm wrong.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2