Maurice Aniefiok

Harry

Tulsa still has one more basketball scholarship open in the 2013 class. It appeared the Golden Hurricane would use it this week on 6-foot-5 guard Maurice Aniefiok, who committed on Friday and expected to start class at TU on Monday. However, things changed during the weekend.

Maurice Aniefiok is now looking at North Texas

Aniefiok (ah-KNEE-fee-ock), who played at Ole Miss as a freshman last season and then transferred to Collin County Community College in Texas, is looking to transfer back to a Division I school at mid-term. On Friday, he said he would begin classes at Tulsa on Monday.

"I'm leaving for Tulsa today," he told InsideTulsaSports.com on Friday morning. "I made my decision this week after my visit to Rider. I chose Tulsa because I have a good feeling about it, and I like their style of play."

On Saturday morning, just 24 hours later, Aniefiok said he ran into some difficulties with TU.

"I'm still having some issues for now, so I might end up changing my mind," he explained. "We are still trying to settle a couple of things."

The former SEC guard did not elaborate on those issues.

His transfer to TU would not have been official until he attended class, and on Monday, Aniefiok said that isn't going to happen. He could not sort out his issues, and the two parties apparently decided to part ways and move on.

Read more: http://tulsa.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1459895

HIGH SCHOOL: Averaged 13.7 points and 6.6 rebounds per contest while shooting 41 percent from 3-point range at Huntington (W. Va.) Prep in 2010-11 ... Led Huntington to a 24-3 record and a national ranking as high as No. 14 by MaxPreps and 18th in the final Rivals.com rankings ... Rated a three-star prospect by Rivals, Scout and ESPN.com ... Coached at Huntington by Rob Fulford ... Attended Ikeja High School in Lagos, Nigeria ... MVP of the 2010 Ejike Ugboaja basketball camp.

PERSONAL: Full name is Maurice Emmanuel Aniefiok ... Born March 9, 1992 ... Son of Mr. and Mrs. Brett Aniefiok ... Enrolled in the College of Liberal Arts ... Chose the Rebels over Rutgers, USC, Indiana, James Madison, Arizona State and Duquesne ... Last name is pronounced ah-NAY-fyok ... Grew up playing soccer primarily.

Read more: http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/aniefiok_maurice00.html

In his efforts to find the next potential stars of West Virginia basketball, coach Bob Huggins has traveled to points near and far this off-season. This past weekend, he traveled three hours Southwest of Morgantown to check in on several players who could very well fit that bill.

Huggins made the trip down to Huntington to see the latest stars at Rob Fulford’s loaded Huntington Prep (W.Va.) squad, and according to Fulford, he came away impressed.

WVU heard about Aniefiok before his arrival from Nigeria.

“It went good. He got a look at all of them,” Fulford said of his three sure-thing Division I prospects, juniors Negus Webster-Chan and Phillip Nolan, and senior Maurice Anifiok.

Aniefiok is a name our readers are familiar with. We first broke the news of his arrival from Nigeria earlier this fall, as well as WVU’s interest. The Mountaineers’ staff has known about him for some time and is prime position to sign the 6-foot-5 combo guard, whom Fulford believes is a potential top-10 guard in the Class of 2011.

Aniefiok didn’t disappoint, putting the defensive clamps on Webster-Chan, a native of Canada who is being recruited by Kentucky, among many other high-major programs.

“No question he can play for them. They love him. He and Negus went at it, and he locked up Negus on the spot, which is impressive because you’re talking about a big-time potential pro [in Webster-Chan]. Of course, Maurice is a little bit stronger and more developed at this point,” Fulford said.

Though WVU clearly has the inside track with Aniefiok, it may be some time before a commitment could be made. There have been numerous cases recently of African imports being caught up in the NCAA eligibility clearinghouse, especially those like Aniefiok who have built most of their respective high school transcripts in their native country.

Read more: http://westvirginia.247sports.com/Article/Nigerian-native-Maurice-Aniefiok-a-top-basketball-prospect-for-B-2168

I've seen this guy listed anywhere from a PF to a SG. I'm guessing he's similar to a Roger Franklin? Probably not as good post , but better guard

If he signs, Walton is in real danger of going from 1st ballot HOF'r to struggling for minutes

• Upvote 1

I've seen this guy listed anywhere from a PF to a SG. I'm guessing he's similar to a Roger Franklin? Probably not as good post , but better guard

If he signs, Walton is in real danger of going from 1st ballot HOF'r to struggling for minutes

Aren't we out of spots for a new player? Who would be shown the door?

• Upvote 1

I've just watched some of his videos and he's really athletic but he looks like a pure shooter. Vito had a good comparison he shared with me -- he is more like Kendrick Davis the Arkansas transfer Johnny signed.

He looks really good on video. I think there is no question he can play and would help us immediately. He's been on everybody's radar screen since prep school but he's had some academic issues. Being from Nigeria, there appear to be issues with Nigerian players and their transcripts transferring and being accepted here in the states. He was signed sealed and delivered to Tulsa and Danny Manning and then something happened at the last minute in the clearing house.

I will say this, if he has gotten his transcript in order I believe he would be a good addition for us because he's a pure shooter that can play defense..

Or even out the door with this talk of more additions.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...