UNT basketball notes (More on Gaines and another potential target)

Harry

Ill tell you this much. UNT is going to look good coming off the bus and in the layup line next year. UNT has added not only Gaines, but Collin Voss (a former DI tight end recruit), Armani Flannigan (who is supposed to be a Tony Mitchell level dunk artist) and Josh Friar (another big guy who looks the part). And dont forget Keith Coleman, another huge guy.

What will be interesting to see is if all that physical talent translates to the court and into wins.

And in a side note, dont count out the possibility of UNT continuing to turn its roster over. Benford said publicly that he wanted to bring in another wing player. It wouldnt surprise me if somehow Maurice Aniefiok, a former Ole Miss wing who spent last season at Collin County Community College and was briefly committed to Tulsa finds his way on to the roster by the beginning of the season.

If he does, that will mean another returning player will be gone.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/06/unt-basketball-notes-more-on-gaines-and-another-potential-target.html/

Who leaves to make room for the extra wing? Alzee? Tj? Keith?

Last year, everyone on the roster got at least one line of praise for an aspect of their game or potential.

Except Trey, who was 'working really hard in practice'.

So, who was conspicuously under-praised at this year's Caravans?

Last year, everyone on the roster got at least one line of praise for an aspect of their game or potential.

Trey was out for most of the year during practices due to the surgery. Can't really elaborate on a guy limited in rehab.

For some reason Alzee seemed to always be in Benfords dog house.

At this point it's anyone's guess with what goes on in Benfords head.

Can anyone clarify if you can release a HS signee if he already signed his LOI?

Edited by LakeTravis
  • Upvote 1

Well, based on this theory, I would say Alzee is gone. (Admittedly, I couldn't attend the Caravans, so I might be misinterpreting things.) Also, I think it's very telling that we may now be seeking a 6'5" combo guard. That seems like an obvious replacement for Alzee. If that's the case, then I'm really disappointed.

• Upvote 1

Trey was out for most of the year during practices due to the surgery. Can't really elaborate on a guy limited in rehab.

For some reason Alzee seemed to always be in Benfords dog house.

At this point it's anyone's guess with what goes on in Benfords head.

Can anyone clarify if you can release a HS signee if he already signed his LOI?

That's crazy talk that Alzee might be let go. He was one of our most productive players all around and for many years. I really hope not.

• Upvote 1

Ill tell you this much. UNT is going to look good coming off the bus and in the layup line next year. UNT has added not only Gaines, but Collin Voss (a former DI tight end recruit), Armani Flannigan (who is supposed to be a Tony Mitchell level dunk artist) and Josh Friar (another big guy who looks the part). And dont forget Keith Coleman, another huge guy.

What will be interesting to see is if all that physical talent translates to the court and into wins.

And in a side note, dont count out the possibility of UNT continuing to turn its roster over. Benford said publicly that he wanted to bring in another wing player. It wouldnt surprise me if somehow Maurice Aniefiok, a former Ole Miss wing who spent last season at Collin County Community College and was briefly committed to Tulsa finds his way on to the roster by the beginning of the season.

If he does, that will mean another returning player will be gone.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/06/unt-basketball-notes-more-on-gaines-and-another-potential-target.html/

Harry - Great observation. I was actually going to start a new thread on this, but you beat me to it. Everyone has been so focused on their dislike of Benford, I think its been missed that UNT has been quietly put together a very big recruiting class. They will be a difficult matchup for many teams in CUSA. Even TJ at 6" 3', one of our shortest players now, is 220 LB - A Big 12 type guard who can muscle his way around even if not that tall. Jordan is still listed at 6' 6" but everyone noticed last season he was likely an inch taller. Now with two players at 6' 10" plus a plethora of guards/forwards at 6" 7' and taller, we can really go "big" on the floor when we want too. My guess is that Benford wanted this all along with his "paint first" scoring approach. That can finally open up our guards for some decent 3 point shot looks which we didn't have all season last year. I think the return players will come back with a chip on their shoulder with something to prove, and with good play from the new recruits, it could be a much more interesting season that many think around here.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

That's crazy talk that Alzee might be let go. He was one of our most productive players all around and for many years. I really hope not.

Not so fast my friend. Benford in his short span here has shown that he learned at the knee of buzz Williams and jettisons players that he no longer wants. Alzee,who never had discipline problems until Benford showed up on campus, certainly appeared to be in the doghouse much of last season.
  • Upvote 1

Harry - Great observation. I was actually going to start a new thread on this, but you beat me to it. Everyone has been so focused on their dislike of Benford, I think its been missed that UNT has been quietly put together a very big recruiting class. They will be a difficult matchup for many teams in CUSA. Even TJ at 6" 3', one of our shortest players now, is 220 LB - A Big 12 type guard who can muscle his way around even if not that tall. Jordan is still listed at 6' 6" but everyone noticed last season he was likely an inch taller. Now with two players at 6' 10" plus a plethora of guards/forwards at 6" 7' and taller, we can really go "big" on the floor when we want too. My guess is that Benford wanted this all along with his "paint first" scoring approach. That can finally open up our guards for some decent 3 point shot looks which we didn't have all season last year. I think the return players will come back with a chip on their shoulder with something to prove, and with good play from the new recruits, it could be a much more interesting season that many think around here.

It's nice that we will look the part, but the real question is whether or not these recruits can play the game and can they play the game well enough to overcome a pretty big deficiency on the bench.

• Upvote 1

It's nice that we will look the part, but the real question is whether or not these recruits can play the game and can they play the game well enough to overcome a pretty big deficiency on the bench.

No doubt and I agree that the major question is whether these new recruits can play because there is no amount of analysis that matters at that point if they can't play the game.. Based on the limited public info on these new recruits, I think we have enough talent coming in to win again - time will tell though.

Not that I am close to being a fan of Benford, but if he pulls another Norris move; and gets rid of a current player last minute to make way for another, than I question his character even more than his coaching. I wonder why our AD allows this stuff, and yes I know it is common practice; but it is not right. I think some time in July is the latest date that a school can notify a player that his scholarship is not being renewed. Of course that didn't stop Benford from chasing Norris off much later.

It is one thing to notify a player that he doesn't fit your program ala Overlander and allow him ample time to go elsewhere. It is much worse IMO to have every player subject to being moved out if and when a better perceived player is available. It is not like Benford has shown any ability to judge talent anyway. Funny, that coach's contracts have to be honored or bought out, but in NT men basketball the players apparently have no protection at all.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

The assumption is Benford let's a player go. What if the player leaves without Benford asking them to. Could someone be Jones-ing to leave?

If he is the player to leave, then I officially give up on next season. . . and just when the new recruits were starting to give me a tinge of hope.

• Upvote 1

all of you conspiracy theorists can step off the ledge and come back down.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/06/looking-at-unts-hoops-roster-benford-everyone-will-be-back.html/

How so?

"If UNT does add to its current group of players and goes over the limit, it will be a situation that will work itself out by the beginning of the season."

• Upvote 1

all of you conspiracy theorists can step off the ledge and come back down.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/06/looking-at-unts-hoops-roster-benford-everyone-will-be-back.html/

Uh...

Seems to me he pretty much indicated that he WILL add additional players and coach speaked through the questions about scholarships, which would indicate more changes are coming and someone will be out.

If every bb player in the world has overstated height which according to most of your observations they do, then he will playing against listed 6'10 opponents that are usually only 6'8 1/4.

Funny, I almost posted the same thing.

I should have provided context. Someone posted about how bog we will be next year. Really not any bigger than any other CUSA team, and far less proven skill at the 4 and 5 positions.

• Upvote 1

Benford also told Vito at end of season that no one would be leaving..

Benford also called Chris Jones a starting Big East point guard and Coleman a legitimate Big East Center.

Just saying what he thinks the fans want to hear.

• Upvote 1

Benford also told Vito at end of season that no one would be leaving..

Even after some of them started leaving, he said no on ELSE was leaving, and that wasn't accurate, either.

That's why I haven't broken out my party hats and noisemakers over the announcement that all our basketball players are in good academic standing and already locked in eligible for next season.